Which Port to Skip?

JohnathanS

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone,

We are sailing on the Fantasy on 12/8/12 to the Western Caribbean. Our stops are: Caymans, Costa Maya, Cozumel, and Castaway Cay.

We want to skip one of the ports so that we can enjoy the boat without as much of a crowd. Which port would you suggest skipping? We are leaning toward the Caymans since we have been there once before, but don't know much about the Mexican ports. Any suggestions would be appreciated! :goodvibes

The port NOT to skip is Castaway Cay! The best day of the cruise! We loved Cozumel too---so one of the other 2. We love a day on the ship when everyone is in port! Good idea & happy cruising!

If you've been to some Mayan ruins already, skip Costa Maya. There really isn't much there that hasn't been put there specifically for cruise ships and their passengers (read tourist trap). If you haven't seen Mayan ruins before, the Chaccohoben ruins near Costa Maya are pretty cool to see.

Definately would skip Grand Cayman. Just got off the Fantasy last week and eventhough we enjoyed our excursion, would forgo the port area.

Enjoy whatever you do! (or don't do:rotfl2:)

Marni

Costa Maya is an easy port to skip but not skip, if that makes sense.

The pool at the port is built just for the ships. So, you can leave the ship at your leisure, enjoy the HUGE port pool and then go back to the ship early...so you will have a little of both. This is assuming you have kids who will love to swim!

If it's just adults, then nothing to speak of other than touristy shops built just for you!

That being said, it's clean and easy shopping compared to the 'real' Mexico, which frankly isn't that real as anywhere you go even if you think it's off the beaten path isn't really!!

Good luck!

Grand Cayman. Have to tender there (vs dock) so its a pain anyway. Might as well stay on the boat!

I should probably get into a fireproof suit for this, but unless you really enjoy going to a beach skip Castaway Cay for part of the day. For example go there for the mornig and have lunch but head back to the ship for the after noon as the pools and Aqua Duck should be open and not very crowded.

We did the Western on the Fantasy last week. I would skip Grand Cayman. It's an incredibly shabby and unaccomodating cruise port, and the tender to shore is a bit of a pain.

Costa Maya was a very pleasant surprise. The MASSIVE pool was awesome, and it looked like a great place to stretch your legs. For our port day, we booked Maya Chan (search for it), and it was one of our best beach days ever. EVER.

If you don't want to skip Grand Cayman, you have a long day in Cozumel, and a lot of people take long excursions that day. We shopped in the morning, had the awesome fish tacos and margaritas at Pancho's Backyard (look it up, too!), and had a few hours on the pool deck to ride the Aquaduck and enjoy the pools.

Enjoy!

Costa Maya is probably the best port to skip from a things to do perspective, but Grand Cayman is probably the best to skip from a quiet ship perspective. After a sea day, the ship will always empty out faster then after a day in a port. Also, people are learning that Costa Maya is a little slow so they are either staying onboard or going back to the ship early. So if your main goal is a quiet ship, I would probably skip Grand Cayman (and the tender ride).

I should probably get into a fireproof suit for this, but unless you really enjoy going to a beach skip Castaway Cay for part of the day. For example go there for the mornig and have lunch but head back to the ship for the after noon as the pools and Aqua Duck should be open and not very crowded.

Castaway Cay has always been a half-day "port" for me. After a few hours at the beach and the BBQ lunch, I'm ready to go back to the ship. I learned on my first Disney cruise that a "double dip" was NOT something I wanted to book for the future.

Costa Maya unless you want to drive a few hours to see the ruins. Really not much there. IMO

Castaway Cay has always been a half-day "port" for me. After a few hours at the beach and the BBQ lunch, I'm ready to go back to the ship. I learned on my first Disney cruise that a "double dip" was NOT something I wanted to book for the future.

Yeah same with me the idea of a double Dip doesn't really do it for me, If I was on the Dream or Fantasy and the itinerary had one I would probably spend most of the second day on the Aqua Duck or in the cove cafe.

Costa Maya would be my pick. We walked around the port for a few hours and that was it due to the rain.

If you are willing to travel beyond the immediate port area, Costa Maya makes a fantastic beach day. The Mahahual area (accessible by taxi/bus for $3pp and about five minutes of driving) is loaded with all-inclusive day spots, where for $40 or so per person you can have all you care to eat and drink, non-motorized water sports, and AMAZING service. My personal pick is Nohoch Kay (they take ridiculously good care of you there).

I would skip Costa Maya - it's a tourist trap really. Was only put there for cruise ships to stop and let passengers shop and then some excursions have been added now. I love Grand Cayman - we would move there if we could. Have been twice and always find something different to do. Cozumel - we have stayed on the ship once and gone to shore on our own as well. To get to the ruins from Cozumel it's a ferry ride to the mainland and it's a long excursion. I agree with some that only stay on Castaway Cay 1/2 day. We have done that both times since our children have been young on both cruises and I find the pool decks almost empty. Last year I sat up on the pool deck and watched them rehearse for a deck show they were going to do in a few weeks on the Med cruises. It was interesting!

One other thing I would like to add if it will be your first time visiting any of these ports,I would recommend that you take a look around them yourself and don't judge them just by what other people say. For example there are always threads about skipping Nassau because some people don't like it. I would look up and see if there are any excursions that Disney offers that you might like or even just look up and see what other things there are to do in a port, and make the decision yourself instead of just going by what other people say. I Personally don't like going on a cruse and not visiting every port as you've paid the local authorities to visit there.

If you have been to the Caymans then skip that one. We did the MV and we only left the ship twice, to CC and then to the Mayan Ruins at Costa Maya. If we did this same itinerary again, we would probably just enjoy the pool at costa maya since it is right at the port, and then skip the other two ports. There is not much at the Cozumel port unless you are doing an excursion. The shopping is just mediocre and the mass crafts that they are selling outside the port are nothing special.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter