Which QS for arrival/birthday dinner?

cheap traveler

DIS Veteran
This August we will be arriving at Disney on my birthday. The plan is around noon, but with 4 kids in the car that time can vary!

We hope to have free dining (fingers crossed!!!) and it’ll be the quick service plan.

With that in mind, where would you choose to eat, quick service, outside the parks, for your birthday? We have our car, staying at asmu, so we can go anywhere. I ask because it fits the schedule better to use dining credits that night, rather than later in the week.

Plan B is currently hitting Joe’s Crab Shack. That was our arrival day dinner in 2016 and we enjoyed it. I’m not looking for fancy, I just want good food in a place that DD14, DD12, DS 2.5, and DS 1 (and maybe our niece if she’s arrived) will enjoy and not cause trouble.

Tia!

somewhere in Disney Springs for sure. they have amazing dinner options. they have rainforest cafe and t-rex, which are usually a hit with kids, but they are TS. Earl of Sandwich is my favorite quick service anywhere. options are endless!

Last edited:

Personally, I would eat quick service at either the Poly or the Contemporary and enjoy viewing the fireworks from the hotel. If you do the Poly, you can enjoy a dole whip for an after dinner dessert. I think both of those resorts have really good QS versus some of the others. The other thing is the kids can do a 'ride' on the monorail.... maybe very fun for the littlest ones. When my DD was in the 1 - 3 age, she LOVED the Contemporary.

Disney Springs def has good options.... but I hate dealing with the shops and kids. All the "can I get this?" Esp. at the beginning of the trip but YMMV

WL Geyser Point.

What's the real deal with this place? I've heard that you can use QS credits in the bar and restaurant area, but I've also heard that you can only use QS at the outside window, and are not allowed to take the food into the bar and restaurant area?

Personally, I would eat quick service at either the Poly or the Contemporary and enjoy viewing the fireworks from the hotel. If you do the Poly, you can enjoy a dole whip for an after dinner dessert. I think both of those resorts have really good QS versus some of the others. The other thing is the kids can do a 'ride' on the monorail.... maybe very fun for the littlest ones. When my DD was in the 1 - 3 age, she LOVED the Contemporary.

Disney Springs def has good options.... but I hate dealing with the shops and kids. All the "can I get this?" Esp. at the beginning of the trip but YMMV

Yes, we try to save Disney Springs for the end of the trip. The older kids have learned to think about what they see in all the shops at the parks, then we can buy it all at Disney springs. This way, they don’t spend all their money by day 2 and then have their hearts broken when I won’t shell out money for the “must have” they find on day 4.

We also do have to fit in a monorail ride every trip, so this might be our best option. I’m going to check out the menus of these places, see if they’d appeal to all of us. Thank you!

Wilderness Lodge gets on the short list too, I’ve always wanted to go there, it looks beautiful! 2016 we spent some time wandering around animal kingdom lodge, and it was time well spent.

Thank you everyone!

This August we will be arriving at Disney on my birthday. The plan is around noon, but with 4 kids in the car that time can vary!

We hope to have free dining (fingers crossed!!!) and it’ll be the quick service plan.

With that in mind, where would you choose to eat, quick service, outside the parks, for your birthday? We have our car, staying at asmu, so we can go anywhere. I ask because it fits the schedule better to use dining credits that night, rather than later in the week.

Plan B is currently hitting Joe’s Crab Shack. That was our arrival day dinner in 2016 and we enjoyed it. I’m not looking for fancy, I just want good food in a place that DD14, DD12, DS 2.5, and DS 1 (and maybe our niece if she’s arrived) will enjoy and not cause trouble.

Tia!
Go to Animal Kingdom Lodge and go to the quick service restaurant there. You can go out to the Savanah and see zebras and Giraffes, tour the beautiful lobby in Jambo house including rope bridge and water feature. Have a zebra dome for a birthday treat.

Go to Animal Kingdom Lodge and go to the quick service restaurant there. You can go out to the Savanah and see zebras and Giraffes, tour the beautiful lobby in Jambo house including rope bridge and water feature. Have a zebra dome for a birthday treat.
I like akl and stayed there. Don’t want to be Debbie downer but their qs (like most deluxe qs) lacks the charm of the mods. Also Zebra domes are highly overrated in my opinion but they sure are popular with many. That being said the qs food is about the same as anywhere at any resort. What you get going here is a walk around to see flamingos and out on the overlook to the Savannah - that’s absolutely a great idea. The resort and animals make this totally worth your time and would agree this is probably the best option listed so far and hope you go here for your bday dinner. Happy early bday!

I like akl and stayed there. Don’t want to be Debbie downer but their qs (like most deluxe qs) lacks the charm of the mods. Also Zebra domes are highly overrated in my opinion but they sure are popular with many. That being said the qs food is about the same as anywhere at any resort. What you get going here is a walk around to see flamingos and out on the overlook to the Savannah - that’s absolutely a great idea. The resort and animals make this totally worth your time and would agree this is probably the best option listed so far and hope you go here for your bday dinner. Happy early bday![/QUOTEi

Agree - AKL has great sit downs but I think the QS is a bit mediocre

Tia!
I think Disney Springs offers the most options.

Not only can you share at QS places, there are more than enough dessert shops to celebrate a birthday.

My pick is Wolfgang Puck Express at Disney Springs. I think it is the best CS at all of WDW and a great value on the dining plan. Although you order your food at the counter and get your own beverage, a server brings your food and drink refills. The wine list is quite good and the seating area is lovely, especially the outdoor area. It is an upscale CS experience but not stuffy, kids would be comfortable there. The food quality is a giant step above most other CS locations, the bacon-wrapped meatloaf with wine sauce is my favorite menu item

Last edited:
Also Zebra domes are highly overrated in my opinion but they sure are popular with many.

zebra domes. I don’t get it either! I think they’re gross, the texture is mushy.

We also didn’t care for the Mara, you’re right about it lacking charm.

Oh, I just now saw that you’d rather save DS for late in the trip.

I also enjoy Contempo Cafe. The entrees are good and the seasonal cupcake are fabulous! That would be a fun birthday dessert. The atmosphere is wonderful, with all the shops and restaurants and the monorail whizzing by.

We also like Capt Cook’s at the Poly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter