Which resort BLT or AKV?

rsschneck

<font color="lime">DIS Party Bus Queen </font>
We are staying 2 nights/3 days at the end of August. I have a 1 bedroom @ OKW reserved but at 7 months would like to switch to BLT or AKV.

There will be 5 of us (three 17 year old girls). I would like the 2nd bathroom which is why I am thinking BLT or AKV. August is hot so I was thinking they might want to use the pool facilities. The girls will probably be very busy trying to hit all 4 parks in 3 days so BLT would be good for MK and EPCOT whereas AKV would be good for AK and HS.

We will have a rental car to maximize the travel time in between theme parks.

Which resort would be better for our needs?

I haven't stayed at BLT yet ( that will be changing in Jan!) However, with trying to do so much in the short period if time I think BLT would be best. I love AKV but traveling to the TTC for MK did seem to take quite a bit....

However- I think AKV is a beautiful resort - we had a wonderful stay there is September. Lots of space in the 1 bed there!!

Personally, I thought the BLT and Contemporary pools were disappointing while the AKV pools are both gorgeous.

They're both really nice hotels. BLT/Contemporary has California Grill right there which we love, but AKV has Boma and Jiko which are also terrific. I guess, I would try to figure out which parks you plan to spend more time at? Are you planning to go to the parks as well, or will your DDs be using Disney Transport? I personally think AKV has more to do if you're just hanging around the hotel.

Hey there! We just stayed at both on our last trip in Sept. I have to say that I liked AKV better. If the pools are a big thing for you then AKV is way better. That is just my thoughts.

I haven't stayed at BLT yet ( that will be changing in Jan!) However, with trying to do so much in the short period if time I think BLT would be best. I love AKV but traveling to the TTC for MK did seem to take quite a bit.... However- I think AKV is a beautiful resort - we had a wonderful stay there is September. Lots of space in the 1 bed there!!

You don't travel to TTC for MK from AKV.

I haven't stayed at BLT yet ( that will be changing in Jan!) However, with trying to do so much in the short period if time I think BLT would be best. I love AKV but traveling to the TTC for MK did seem to take quite a bit.... However- I think AKV is a beautiful resort - we had a wonderful stay there is September. Lots of space in the 1 bed there!!

Never,ind I see what you are saying. If they use the rental car they would park at TTC.

Either would work. However, the food at AKV is more Indian/African flavors. If the girls will only eat American cuisine, then CR's quick service restaurant has more selections. Otherwise either would work. At BLT you can use either BLT's or CR's pools. And if the girls are interested in parasailing, jet skis or small two seater boats you can do that right from CR's dock. They give discounts for DVC members as well.

And the girls could travel to Epcot via the monorail. It's not the fastest way to travel but it eliminates the trams in from the parking lot.

I have 3 girls who would prefer without a doubt BLT for the ease of coming and going to MK and Epcot! They also enjoy riding the monorail and boats to all the resorts and the Fort. AKV is a beautiful resort but limited if the kids want to be independent/come and go as they please. My DD's loved the independence of being able to go back or stay late at the MK and epcot when we (DH and I) were done for the day. I agree if you are looking for more pool time AKV is a better choice.

My two favourites!! AKV is our home resort and we absolutely love it. It's very relaxing, seeing the animals is amazing, and the pool at Kidani is terrific. This summer we stayed five nights at BLT in a 1 bedroom, and fell in love with it too. Loved the ease of travel to MK, monorail to Epcot, food choices at Contemporary were great, and my kids were often the only ones in the circular pool at Contemporary. I think for such a short trip I'd go with BLT.

I loved AKV, but would pick BLT for your trip. I have not stayed at BLT, but have stayed at CR and liked it a lot, as well. Walking to MK will be great on a short trip, and I think BLT will appeal more to the teenagers - more in the middle of the action.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

We are doing a split stay for our 2014 trip! We are staying at both and are looking forward to each resort for many of the above reasons.

We have stayed at both multiple times and love them both for the extra bathroom in the one bedroom and for what each has to offer. I honestly do not think you could go wrong at either resort.

but for what you are describing for your trip, I think BLT would be the better choice. Everything is so close together at BLT and that would make it easier for the girls to get around.

But I love my AKV for the theming, it is awesome.

We've stayed at both but own at AKV. I love both. BLT is great for MK and EP. If that's important, go BLT. AKV is amazing. I feel like it's a vacation within a vacation. Not as close to the parks, but that's not always the most important reason.

I would pick BLT just because of the location and the teens you are traveling with. BLT is more convenient for them if they where to venture out on their own. I think looking at it from a DVC points perspective you would probably get better value at AKV.

If you're driving, I don't think the BLT location helps much. (But for MK, we find the bus is more convenient than driving from AKV.) Taking the monorail to Epcot from BLT doesn't really save you time over driving or bussing, IMO -- though it is more fun and Disneyish. With your group's ages, and the fact that you're going to be spreading yourself over all the parks instead of concentrating on the MK, I think AKV is probably the way to go.

We love both resorts, but the theme at AKV is so much more fun. When we choose BLT, it's because we have a tiny daughter, and being able to walk to the MK most days of our trip (at least for the evening) is perfect right now. But if that's not what you plan to do, I'd go with the unique and fun theme. We never get tired of AKV. We even chose it for our wedding hotel -- I mean, how cool is it to have giraffes outside your balcony? You just don't get that anywhere else.

We have never noticed that the CS at AKV is African themed. Obviously, the sit-down restaurants are. We are relatively picky eaters, especially my husband, and we've never had trouble finding something to eat at AKV CS.

Writing this post is getting me so excited to introduce our 2-year-old to AKV in 13 days!! (For a couple nights before heading over to VGF for the rest of our trip. Best of both worlds!)

I appreciate everyone's replies.

I think I am going to try for AKV Kidani Village in a 1 bedroom and if not available will look into BLT.

The 2 bathrooms is key. I think the girl's will like the animals (will try for Savanna View). I really think it will be Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios (maybe Blizzard Beach too).

I will see what is available at 7 months.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter