• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Which Resort for First Time Guests?

Maxwell42

Mouseketeer
First, a little background: we have been a WDW family since 2009, and we bought into DVC in 2018. Our home resort is PVB. We are now empty nesters, and for years, our friends have wondered why we keep going to Disney World so often. :)

Now, a couple of our best friends have told us that they're interested in doing WDW with us this year! We're super excited about taking them, and of course we want to demonstrate what keeps us coming back year after year. They've been to WDW once about 20 years ago, but for all practical purposes, they're Disney rookies.

They have expressed that they're perfectly happy with us (i.e. me) doing all the planning and just telling them when to show up. I can live with that - I've been doing it with my own family for years - but I'm feeling a little more pressure than usual to get it right this time.

So, of course, the first big decision is where to stay. We're looking at a 5 night stay that encompasses the last weekend in September, so either 9/24-9/29 or 9/27-10/2. I'm realizing that the last week in September is very popular, presumably because point costs increase in October, but I have enough points to accommodate either dates at most resorts (not VGF, and RIV will be a challenge unless I can get a Standard view). I'd like a 2 bedroom, unless we choose our home resort (PVB), in which case we'd get 2 studios.

I have my preferences among DVC resorts, but I'm looking for a little input. If you were bringing someone to WDW for their first time, which resort would you choose and why?

Last edited:
I would think about where we’d likely spend most of our time. Food & Wine will probably be going on then, so if that’s likely to be a draw, you might want to try for BWV (a P/G view 2BR might be possible) or BCV (smaller and harder to get). However, because your dates are at the start of Fall Frenzy, you’ll probably want to book 2 studios at PVB at 11 months just to be sure to have a place. And actually, PVB isn’t a bad place to stay for F&W, with the Epcot monorail right there!

I would think about where we’d likely spend most of our time. Food & Wine will probably be going on then, so if that’s likely to be a draw, you might want to try for BWV (a P/G view 2BR might be possible) or BCV (smaller and harder to get). However, because your dates are at the start of Fall Frenzy, you’ll probably want to book 2 studios at PVB at 11 months just to be sure to have a place. And actually, PVB isn’t a bad place to stay for F&W, with the Epcot monorail right there!
I've thought about doing a "placeholder" reservation at PVB, but here's the downside - I'm borrowing points for this trip, and 2 studios there cost more than a 2BR elsewhere, so if I'm not committed to staying at PVB, I'll lose points if I change to another resort. Still, it's a possibility - I just need to decide before late February.

My vote would be Poly or AKL. Poly is more convenient to classic Disney stuff like MK and the monorail. I love Poly, but sometimes it is just SO busy. AKL is visually amazing and so unique, an experience they are extremely unlikely to have elsewhere.

Any chance of a split stay? ;)

I like the idea of you all being together in a 2B for the fun of it all, but Poly pools/MK access, and tons of close dining can’t be beat.

BC is my vote because it’s dedicated 2B. Just toured a refurbished one yesterday and it’s lovely and fresh. A little blah wall color, but for newbs who are adults, they may enjoy a break from Disney in your face all day.

I would skip BLT because they’re overdue for refurbishing.

I've thought about doing a "placeholder" reservation at PVB, but here's the downside - I'm borrowing points for this trip, and 2 studios there cost more than a 2BR elsewhere, so if I'm not committed to staying at PVB, I'll lose points if I change to another resort. Still, it's a possibility - I just need to decide before late February.
I hear ya! My concern is that if you don’t book Poly, and if BCV and BWV are booked up before 7 months, what are your options?

If you do book Poly and then are able to switch to BCV/BWV at 7 months, the borrowed points will stay in the new reservation, but current points will be freed up and could potentially be banked, if you’re still in your banking window at that time. OTOH, having two Poly studios booked means that you couldn’t set up a waitlist for BCV/BWV because you can only set it up to replace one reservation, not two, as far as I know.

Finally, as the previous posters have pointed out, Poly is not a bad place to be! It’s an iconic WDW resort, with monorail service and a view of the castle (from outside, at least).

Poly standard availability is already choppy 8 months out, and waitlist is complicated when needing 2 rooms. And you own there! So it could work very well to save this for next time, because you know they will be back 🤣 PVB (two standard studios) would be in my top 3 choices here though.

AKV wins for 2BR, between being a great fit and convenient 7 month booking. It delivers and likely no hassle to book. But if BCV 2BR were open at 7 months I’d take that instead. Both resorts have alot of pros. BWV is out of the running because availability already looks hard. BCV seems to have a much better chance.

That’d be my plan. Try for BC 2BR. If that doesn’t work out, happily take AKV 2BR. While savannah view is great, it’s a pretty big point difference. I’d likely choose to take standard, put in a room request with TouringPlans for a shot at partial savannah view in standard category, and plan some of the budget on ubers since we saved so many points, lol.

If you're interested in F&W and like the proximity of the Crescent Lake resorts, I'd recommend RR, as it's a Skyliner ride away, leaving you right at the International Gateway entrance. Closer than both BCV and BWV. RR is also an easy ride to HS, and a very short bus ride to DS.

I agree a two-bedroom unit is a great option since each would have an attached bathroom. BCV and BWV are wonderfully convenient for F&W, but I agree RR is worth looking at as well, although it is pricey points-wise. We stayed in a one-bedroom unit in November and it was lovely and quite spacious. We also love BRV - the 2-bedroom unit there is great and newly renovated - although the transportation is a bit less convenient for anything other than the MK.

If you want to impress them, I think sticking with the Poly is the way to go. It doesn't get much more iconic for WDW.

Poly IS iconic. I think VAKL is the most "Disney" in that you aren't going to get that anywhere else. Whatever you do, don't promise them anything, as with Fall Frenzy you may get "stuck" with what is available. Certainly don't promise BCV or BWV which may not have enough consecutive nights available at that time.

Thank you all for your replies!

So here's where I think I am: If points were no object, I'd do Riviera preferred. We love that resort, and it strikes the right balance of luxury, dining options, location, and transportation (we love the skyliner). But the point cost is just a little too high, and I don't think I can count on getting a 2BR standard at 7 months.

We've stayed at BCV and Boardwalk, and I love the location and the atmosphere, but the resorts themselves don't blow me away. Throw in the difficulty at booking them for our dates at 7 months, and I'm not sure about prioritizing them.

So my top realistic choices right now are PVB and AKV, but if we do AKV then I'm going to want a savannah view at Jambo - I much prefer Jambo over Kidani. I really like the idea of a 2BR versus two studios, and you truly can't find anything like AKL anywhere else. But I'm unsure about being able to book a 2BR at Jambo at 7 months.

So should I go ahead and commit to PVB and be done with it or hope I can get AKV at 7 months and have a backup plan in mind if I don't?

AKV has the reputation of being very easy to book at 7 months, as long as you don’t want Value or Club Level. Savanna view is easier than Standard view.

I would do poly or Epcot resort. Nothing beats near park resorts. That is really why we keep going back….

Riviera.. Fancy rooms and fancy skyliner.. you'll impress your friends.
I agree 100% - we love the Riviera! But we're also planning a December trip for our daughter's college graduation. If we stay at the Riviera (preferred) in September, then we'll have to purchase OTU points for December. I'm just not sure it's worth it.

Thank you all for your replies!

So here's where I think I am: If points were no object, I'd do Riviera preferred. We love that resort, and it strikes the right balance of luxury, dining options, location, and transportation (we love the skyliner). But the point cost is just a little too high, and I don't think I can count on getting a 2BR standard at 7 months.

We've stayed at BCV and Boardwalk, and I love the location and the atmosphere, but the resorts themselves don't blow me away. Throw in the difficulty at booking them for our dates at 7 months, and I'm not sure about prioritizing them.

So my top realistic choices right now are PVB and AKV, but if we do AKV then I'm going to want a savannah view at Jambo - I much prefer Jambo over Kidani. I really like the idea of a 2BR versus two studios, and you truly can't find anything like AKL anywhere else. But I'm unsure about being able to book a 2BR at Jambo at 7 months.

So should I go ahead and commit to PVB and be done with it or hope I can get AKV at 7 months and have a backup plan in mind if I don't?

Is Jambo THAT important? Because you are likely to be able to get Kidani if you can't get Jambo. And, for me, I'd rather have the kitchen in a two bedroom than the two studios at the Poly - that lets you enjoy your non park time together without sitting "in a hotel room" - it allows you to have a good breakfast in the morning before hitting the parks.

If you and your friends are going to commando the trip and treat the rooms like hotel rooms - i.e. meeting up in the lobby or the hall and drinks in the lounge so you don't see each other's dirty underwear dropped on the hotel room floor or unmade beds - then Poly sounds great. An adult trip with friends for me would likely involve sitting around in the living room, talking, maybe even playing cards in the evening. So I'd prioritize the two bedroom - even if that meant staying at SSR, which I REALLY DO NOT LIKE.

Is Jambo THAT important? Because you are likely to be able to get Kidani if you can't get Jambo. And, for me, I'd rather have the kitchen in a two bedroom than the two studios at the Poly - that lets you enjoy your non park time together without sitting "in a hotel room" - it allows you to have a good breakfast in the morning before hitting the parks.

If you and your friends are going to commando the trip and treat the rooms like hotel rooms - i.e. meeting up in the lobby or the hall and drinks in the lounge so you don't see each other's dirty underwear dropped on the hotel room floor or unmade beds - then Poly sounds great. An adult trip with friends for me would likely involve sitting around in the living room, talking, maybe even playing cards in the evening. So I'd prioritize the two bedroom - even if that meant staying at SSR, which I REALLY DO NOT LIKE.
That’s a good point about studios versus 2BR, and I agree about prioritizing that, but not sure about SSR. :) Seriously, we’ve stayed there once and it was fine, but it’s not where I want to take a first timer.

I really do prefer Jambo pretty strongly over Kidani. The lobby, lounges, and dining are a huge part of what I love about the place, and I’d much rather have those a few steps away from my room than a 10 minute walk or shuttle ride away.

A little off topic - is there a drink refill station at Kidani?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter