Which resort for our next trip?

Sydney2977

DIS Veteran
Hi again Disney fans! I've been away from the boards since soon after our last trip in Sept 2020. I didn't intend to stay away so long, but life threw us some changes. DH decided to use his GI bill and go to school to get his associate's degree, I changed jobs due to some unforeseen circumstances (but I love my new job!), and we now have a grandson! So now seems like the perfect time to plan another trip to WDW! DS and his GF last went in 2020 as well, about a month after DH and I did, so they've got the fever too. We're thinking of one of the last weeks in Jan. 2023 to go, when DGS will be 1, celebrating his birthday, DH graduating (ok, about 6 months late, but still), and our 27th anniversary.
We've stayed at various resorts in all categories (ASMu, ASMo, ASSp, Pop, Coronado, AKL, POR, POFQ, WL, BWI, & YC) but DS's GF, who went to WDW multiple times as a kid, always stayed at Shades of Green because her grandpa was retired military. We want her first time at a Disney resort to be special, but know that since we're taking a 1 year old, we don't want to go too over the top. Since we're going in Jan. we also don't want to stay somewhere with a fabulous pool- we'd rather wait till we go when we can enjoy it. Another though we had is that we likely won't be in the parks from open to close, so we may want a resort where there's things to enjoy. DGS does LOVE to be outside. We would be good with any of the resorts we've stayed at, or trying a new one.
I know plenty of people will say "Don't take a 1 year old." I would agree in most cases, but we know he's not going to remember, and this is more for us notthan him. They as parents and us as grandparents want to experience him experiencing Disney, and we want to enjoy some things ourselves. We're fine with skipping things or ride swap. We're fine with going on the same ride 5 times if that's what he likes.
For those of you who have taken 1 year olds- where would you advise to stay, and why? There may be things we're not considering, and I'd love to hear everyone's opinions so we can make our decision. Thanks so much!

Grand Floridian. Such a pleasure to just wheel a stroller onto the monorail without having to fold it (especially with a sleeping child), and also a nice walking path to MK. Beautiful grounds and lobby to hang out in, and the zero-entry pool is great for a 1-year old.

We stayed at Poly when DS was 1, but I was mostly looking for park touring convenience. If you aren’t going to spend a ton of time in the parks and don’t want to spend a ton of money, I would consider going back to POFQ. For convenience, if you don’t mind spending the money, consider BC or even a two bedroom at BCV - the washer/dryer and kitchen that come with the villas is very helpful with a baby. We loved strolling the Boardwalk in the evenings when DS was little and it was always easy to simply walk into EP at night for dinner.

With the little one I would say either a monorail resort or, if you don't mind being a bit out of the way and dealing with the buses, AKL. We have taken DD three times now at 10 months, just under 3 years old, and 3 and a half. We have stayed at Coronado Springs, Shades of Green, and AKL in that order with her. But, I can tell you first hand just going to dinners at some of the monorail resorts that that was such a simple way to get around, as others have pointed out, so I have no reservations about endorsing those resorts. Also, there is without a doubt more to do at MK than any other park for a kiddo that age.

That said, if you do visit the other parks then you are going to have to deal with the buses at some point, unless you're driving or want to pay for Uber/Minnie Vans/etc. As a side note, they aren't cheap but DW and I are big fans of the Minnie Vans and very glad that they finally brought them back. Knowing that you will get a ride that definitely has a car seat and a driver that knows how to install it quickly and correctly, plus getting dropped off super close to the gate in many instances made it worth the cost when we did use it, though we still mostly made use of the buses. With a good umbrella stroller and just a couple of times getting off and on I think most people would become pros, especially if you can manage to not overpack.

As for AKL, DD was obviously older than your GS will be but even at that age, DD loved the zoo and I am confident that she would have enjoyed seeing the animals there. We were actually there over the week of Thanksgiving last year and even during such a busy time, except when we were in the restaurants, the resort always felt very quiet. And, FWIW, they had a playground that DD really enjoyed though I will say that YMMV with this given the kiddo's age and the fact that some parents are not as diligent as others about making sure their kids aren't running into other people on the playground.

Wherever you end up, enjoy the trip.

I would vote for the GF, too. Not as sprawling IMO as the Poly and easier elevators than CR. Definitely not SOG for us since we like to get away from the base feel lol. BLT might be a good option, too. No fabulous pool there :D

We took my DD11 when she was one. We stayed offsite in a townhouse that trip and it actually worked just fine for us. Since then, it has always been YC, BC, SSR, or BLT.

I am going to go in a different direction and say that if she always started at Shades of Green, then she has monorail memories/ memories of staying in the MK resort area.
If you want to create new special memories, what about a skyliner resort?

Hi again Disney fans! I've been away from the boards since soon after our last trip in Sept 2020. I didn't intend to stay away so long, but life threw us some changes. DH decided to use his GI bill and go to school to get his associate's degree, I changed jobs due to some unforeseen circumstances (but I love my new job!), and we now have a grandson! So now seems like the perfect time to plan another trip to WDW! DS and his GF last went in 2020 as well, about a month after DH and I did, so they've got the fever too. We're thinking of one of the last weeks in Jan. 2023 to go, when DGS will be 1, celebrating his birthday, DH graduating (ok, about 6 months late, but still), and our 27th anniversary.
We've stayed at various resorts in all categories (ASMu, ASMo, ASSp, Pop, Coronado, AKL, POR, POFQ, WL, BWI, & YC) but DS's GF, who went to WDW multiple times as a kid, always stayed at Shades of Green because her grandpa was retired military. We want her first time at a Disney resort to be special, but know that since we're taking a 1 year old, we don't want to go too over the top. Since we're going in Jan. we also don't want to stay somewhere with a fabulous pool- we'd rather wait till we go when we can enjoy it. Another though we had is that we likely won't be in the parks from open to close, so we may want a resort where there's things to enjoy. DGS does LOVE to be outside. We would be good with any of the resorts we've stayed at, or trying a new one.
I know plenty of people will say "Don't take a 1 year old." I would agree in most cases, but we know he's not going to remember, and this is more for us notthan him. They as parents and us as grandparents want to experience him experiencing Disney, and we want to enjoy some things ourselves. We're fine with skipping things or ride swap. We're fine with going on the same ride 5 times if that's what he likes.
For those of you who have taken 1 year olds- where would you advise to stay, and why? There may be things we're not considering, and I'd love to hear everyone's opinions so we can make our decision. Thanks so much!
Polynesian is very kid friendly and pool is excellent for young children and I love the convivence of monorail

How much do you want to spend? You did say not too over the top, is that for the budget? And I think you can have fun with a 1 year old, especially since you aren't going when it's scorching hot. My best advice is to go with the flow and don't set too many expectations. And don't be crushed if he's terrified of the characters!

Last edited:
With a 1 year old and lots of stroller time, I think any monorail resort or skyliner property would be great. And honestly, my recommendations for a group of adults only and adults with a one year old are pretty much the same. There's a yolo list and a more budget conscious list. I did not include YC/BC on either, while I like both of these resorts, I don't care for the main SAB pool for a trip with a 1 year old. There is too much going on at that pool to be enjoyable. It's really best for parents with older kids.

If budget is of no consequence-the pools/splash pads at these properties are all nice and all offer more than just bus service to/from some of the parks which will be convenient with a baby in tow.
  • Poly, GF, CR, Boardwalk and Riviera in that order.
If budget is to be kept in mind-All have nice amenities but of course, the first 3 get deluxe amenities as the above resorts do as well but S/D are marriott, not disney owned property. Bus service to TTC and not the MK main gate so keep that in mind. But depending on time of year and resort availability, you can get rooms at S/D for around the same price as most Disney moderates.
  • Swan/Swan Reserve, Dolphin, CSR (Tower), POP, CBR, AofA- in that order as well.
If you all want to stay under one roof, definitely take a look at the AofA family suites. This would give you a dedicated room with a door for a napping baby, 2 bathrooms and a small kitchenette. Another budget friendly option is the All Star Music family suites, you get two bathrooms, bedroom with a door and a kitchen and is usually much more budget priced than the AofA suites. But of course, no skyliner access which is a downgrade imo.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions so far. I should emphasize that we won't be using the pools at all, so that isn't a factor. We'd want to save places like Poly for when we go and it's warmer. We want 2 separate rooms so we can have our privacy and they can have theirs. We probably won't be going back to the room for naps. We never did with DS, and he was 2 the first time we went. While he was napping in the stroller, we'd just take older DS on rides. There's stuff that some of us like that others don't so we'd use nap time to do those rides, or just take breaks too. As far as budget, we don't want to spend a lot for his first trip- so GF is out. Keeps the suggestions coming! Thanks so much!

I'd go with a moderate or even a value resort like AoA or PC and then walk around the Deluxe resorts for good photo ops. I don't think 1 is too young but I'm a bit biased, when my DS was born, I lived in Winter Garden behind MK and we went into the park daily as I was a CM for awhile. He was fine, never screamed at characters and took the rides in stride (again, he was a very laid back kid). When I tried to get him to nap, we often went to the Boardwalk and took their little walkway and he passed right out. There are SO many wonderful places to walk at WDW that I think sometimes people forget that in their insanity to get to the parks. The property itself is really very nice and relaxing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter