• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Which resort is a never or never again for you?

I try to never say never… A resort that doesn’t appeal to my family might be perfect for a solo trip or a resort that as no appeal to me might be desirable for a family member.

One thing for sure is I don’t share a double bed with anyone. That used to rule out the Values and the CBR pirates rooms but the refurbishments are removing that restriction.

My favourite resorts are Poly and BC. I would not pay a big extra for OKW, SSR, CR or FW compared to a Value. If the upgrade is offered then I might give them a try.

I don't want to stay at Fort Wilderness because I go to Disney for the parks, and it doesn't seem like the most convenient place to stay. A lot of the older DVC places don't hold interest for me, but I wouldn't say no if someone else wanted to stay there. And I don't have much desire to stay at the All Stars. Sounds like their long bus route issues mimic the larger moderates, so I'd rather spend a little more for a nicer atmosphere. (My main priority when booking is price and transportation/location.)

I haven't stayed anywhere that I wouldn't stay again.

VALUE
Art of Animation - great for large groups and fun theming; also the first resort I stayed in, so I'm sentimental about that
Pop Century - access to Skyliner and great for more budget friendly trips

MODERATE
PO Riverside - Princess room for when I went with my niece, great QS, loved boat to Disney Springs, room showed some wear but we weren't in there much
Caribbean Beach - didn't care for how dark the pirate room was, and I was even on the corner with two windows, but the Skyliner is way too convenient to care about that
Coronado Springs - love the theming and the atmosphere, room was super nice and recently refurbished Some don't like the convention atmosphere, but as a child-free adult, it's great for me. (I wish this was the Moderate with the Skyliner, and then I likely wouldn't ever stay anywhere else.)

DELUXE
Contemporary - Bay Lake View from the A frame was Disney World perfection; quick and easy access to QS, front desk, and Magic Kingdom of course; I didn't have any noise problems though I was on the gift shop end of the atrium with a view of MK from outside my room on the 10th floor - perfect location; California Grill and The Wave were delicious, and the QS was solid; great gift shops; and obviously the monorail; for this Disney Parks nerd, it was perfection. Not one complaint about my time at the Contemporary. Would I consider it the most relaxing place I've ever stayed? No. But that wasn't my goal. I was there to Do Disney. Capital D. And it was perfect for that.

DELUXE
Contemporary - Bay Lake View from the A frame was Disney World perfection; quick and easy access to QS, front desk, and Magic Kingdom of course; I didn't have any noise problems though I was on the gift shop end of the atrium with a view of MK from outside my room on the 10th floor - perfect location; California Grill and The Wave were delicious, and the QS was solid; great gift shops; and obviously the monorail; for this Disney Parks nerd, it was perfection. Not one complaint about my time at the Contemporary. Would I consider it the most relaxing place I've ever stayed? No. But that wasn't my goal. I was there to Do Disney. Capital D. And it was perfect for that.
Amen!

DELUXE
Contemporary - Bay Lake View from the A frame was Disney World perfection; quick and easy access to QS, front desk, and Magic Kingdom of course; I didn't have any noise problems though I was on the gift shop end of the atrium with a view of MK from outside my room on the 10th floor - perfect location; California Grill and The Wave were delicious, and the QS was solid; great gift shops; and obviously the monorail; for this Disney Parks nerd, it was perfection.

At the risk of derailing the thread more, I'm gonna sneak back onto it to say, "Ummm, no, decidedly not perfection."

The GF has 7 restaurants (when they're all open again), 4 shops and all the opulence any fairy tale lover might dream of.

Mind you, I might give a wee edge to the CR Concourse shopping when in a particularly generous mood. And our Castle view Tower room years ago was stunning.

But generally speaking, both BLT and CR get a "never/never again" from me.

For me it’s GFV. Just felt stuffy and really didn’t like the whole vibe. Also SSR, although I do love the treehouses but they’re a pain with the bus system.

At the risk of derailing the thread more, I'm gonna sneak back onto it to say, "Ummm, no, decidedly not perfection."

The GF has 7 restaurants (when they're all open again), 4 shops and all the opulence any fairy tale lover might dream of.

Mind you, I might give a wee edge to the CR Concourse shopping when in a particularly generous mood. And our Castle view Tower room years ago was stunning.

The poster DID specifically say it was perfection FOR HER/HIM.

(Is to us too)

...not a fan of any of the All-Stars [ASMovie in particular]...had a bad experience there...not crazy about AoA either.

Values. Not because they are values (I do love a bargain), but because we like space now that the boys are teens. They are hungry all the time, too. They don't like sharing a bed. We started moving off site to properties like Wyndham Bonnet Creek with a full kitchen, w/d, extra bedrooms and bathrooms for the cost of a value.

We've stayed at all Moderates, Deluxes, & DVCs (no Values).
We've no interest in staying in a Value (just too chaotic & loud for our tastes).
least favorite moderate was POFQ.
least favorite Deluxe: Poly (always reeks of mold), with BCV a close runner-up (love the YC, but hate Storm-Along-Bay aka "every day is like a public pool on July 4th")
DVC: Old Key West - definitely old age home vibe, VGF (the separate building makes one feel like just a visitor, rather than a Resort Guest)

Maybe we've been going too long, but we would reschedule a trip if the only options were off-site or Value.

I've had the good fortune of staying at almost all of the resorts over the years. The only one I would never choose again is Port Orleans Riverside. The dixie/southern plantation mansion theme? Absolute cringe for me. I can hardly believe this is still the resort's theme- how have they not re-themed this (other than removing "dixie" from the name)? Hard pass.

I used to also say CBR- because of the sprawl & awkward layout- but the Skyliner gives it a little more of an advantage now, so I wouldn't put it on my "never" list.
I don't understand it being cringe worthy. It is our absolute favorite resort. Yes, it has "mansions" and they have beautifully landscaped lawns. Yes, they have alligator bayou with it's tropical feel. Yes, the south did have nice houses, mansions, and bayou's. There is Nothing that suggests, to me, anything to be upset about. They are not reenacting the civil war, or anything like that. It's a nice Riverside southern portrayal with absolutely nothing to feel cringeworthy about, IMO.

While I find Southern plantation architecture lovely, how it got that way is cringeworthy for me, too.

I can understand why POR could be very offputting, particularly for a descendant of people forced to build and maintain Southern mansions and to work the fields surrounding them.

I suggest this issue be considered "agree to disagree" and not discussed further.

It really is interesting what goes into peoples' opinions. I stayed at All Star Sports back when I was an early teen on a camp trip, we're talking like 1994, and I still remember how tacky and creepy it felt. I can't fairly judge it now because I have zero idea what's been upgraded, but the general style of the value resorts is just not my taste. I'm sure they appeal to young kids, tho!

I last stayed on property in early 2020; my mother and I spent 5 nights at the Boardwalk Inn. I chose it based on location (Epcot and DHS will always be the priority) and the ability to walk a lot. We walked back and forth from DHS multiple times a day, which was lovely. I was shocked at how few people walked. And this was winter, so the weather was fine for walking. Having the hotel close enough to take a break in the middle of the day was clutch. But, I don't care about pools or "resort days," so Boardwalk easily won over Beach or Yacht Club. Some of the hotels in other areas look fantastic, but staying near MK makes no sense for me, and I'd hate to pay deluxe prices and have to bus everywhere. Walking is just such a great option! Makes me feel better about skipping the gym for a week, lol.

Also, it's so interesting how people plan their meals. I love trying Disney food, but I generally find that I can't eat as much as I want to, so I would never considering filling up on food outside the parks. (Except maybe that Boardwalk margarita!) But I suppose if I had kids with me, with bottomless stomachs, I might not want to pay for super expensive theme park food! In that case, a full kitchen would really come in handy.

Just goes to show you how there really is something for everyone, and I guess everyone for something?

As much as I love the theming it's the Polynesian for me.

We stayed there during Hurricane Irma and the entire stay was a disaster BEFORE the Hurricane even hit Disney.

I know they have renovated the regular hotel rooms since we stayed there, but the room was a mess. Broken fixtures, awful touch up paint jobs, being on the ground floor our room took in water during the average Floridian afternoon rainstorms, so when we brought this up to a CM at the front desk they pretty much laughed at us and said welcome to Florida. I'm sorry but if the room took in water during an average rainstorm, what do you think would happen during a hurricane? They said well you could just put some towels down if there is water.

On paper the Grand Flo might be the Flagship resort for WDW, but there are a lot of people in Disney who would say that honor really belongs to the Polynesian, and it just didn't feel like it especially with the CMs we encountered.

Last edited:
My never is tent camping at FW. I went camping once. Once!
(I wouldn't say no to a FW cabin though)

My never again is Contemporary. I've stayed many times since 1980. I was just a teen and was WOW'd by the luxury. A phone in the bathroom! Chocolates on your pillow for turndown! And that was the standard stay. Much of that has gone away (and up to Club Level) but I always like going back. Stayed for a week this past summer. But looking at the vloggers review of the Incredibles refurb I have to take a hard pass on it. IMO- it looks like an IKEA advertisement and not the deluxe I remember and enjoyed. I'm sad to say it, but no thanks.
I have to reply to myself from early in the thread- I went back on my word. No- not camping!
I managed to get a theme park view at The Contemporary, which I've always wanted but could never get. I loved the view! Loved watching fireworks from the room!
But then there's the re-furb. Now that I've seen it first hand I still feel the same as what I said above. And the couch under the TV? Well that was- interesting. The bathroom however, was a big improvement over what was previously there.
I've done my dream view but I'll pass on Incredibles rooms in the future.

Contemporary. My parents took me to WDW a few times as a kid and stayed there. I do like visiting for the memories I get while seeing it, but I never really liked the resort itself - too bland for my taste.

But my real answer is...almost all of them. I like to try a different resort every time (as an adult). The only duplicate for me is Wilderness Lodge, and I have only stayed there twice.

This is why they have so many different resorts with different themes and vibes. While I love visiting the Grand, I feel terribly out of place there. Way too fancy for me. I don't need a spa or a salon or Basin or a meal that costs $300+. I like nice, but there is too nice for me. I'd rather be a quick elevator ride away from refilling my mug than have access to a fancy bar or a piano in the lobby.

One thing I've learned is just because something isn't for me, doesn't mean that it's bad. It exists for other people, and that's just fine. Not all things need to cater to my taste, and I don't expect them to. The Contemporary does, and I can't wait to stay there again.

Pop because I dislike the theme. The radio music and pop icon decorations break the Disney bubble immersion for me.

Let's be honest--some resorts just don't appeal, whether theme, location, level of stay (Value, Moderate, Deluxe), whatever that's not a matter of price.
After staying at pretty much all the Disney Resorts save a few and at all levels, we have a list of our No-Gos and Must-Dos!

Easily The Grand Floridian Sugarloaf club level rooms.
This was a nightmare as far as the lounge, the space was just too small for all the rooms it fit in the building.
We loved the Royal Palm Club and that is what saves the GF for us, but it doesn't rank in our top 5 when we are looking to book something for our trips.

Moderate Resort No-GO: POR
Riverside was just too bland for us and we would prefer FQ each and every time, the food court is better along with the bar and entertainment.

Value No-Go:
Any of the All Stars (The Movies is worth a trip for some fun photos but definitely not to stay there). These always seem chaotic, food courts are insane at all times, even in the dead of night. The pool areas are always full and even the walkways are full of just loudness! LOL.

Not sure where to categorize our last one, but we have a Fort Wilderness No-GO too!
We will never book a Meadows Premium site again. This was a waste of money, when you have a golf cart and don't need to be close to anything. It was loud at all hours just didn't have any redeeming qualities for us, even when compared to tent and pop up sites. We had to book this, because we stay at the holiday times and needed to piece our stay together and ended up in one of these for a week in between our regular stay.

Grand Floridian. I thought I would love it but I hated it. It was like being a fish in a fish bowl with all the people that go there to see it. The pool was just odd with people not staying at the hotel outside watching us swim. The monorail was always packed and having to change monorails to go to Epcot seemed like more work than a bus. I really want to try the Poly but I think I will feel the same way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter