Which resort to pick for trip with 11 month old and ASD 4 year old?

Disneysweetheart23

Earning My Ears
Hello,

Which resort would be most convenient in managing a baby ( would almost be 12 months) and also an ASD 4 year old?

Family is thinking of spending the most time at MK, and possibly a day at HS.

Would it be easier at a monorail resort (and which one) or one of the skyliner resorts?

Also, I know the strollers need to be folded up for buses- is this true for the monorail too?

Appreciate any advice or tips!

My favorite resort with a stroller was POFQ. It was super small and compact, but we only had one kid back then.

Since then we've stayed at Polynesian and Riviera. While I love the Polynesian, the downside is the busses are shared with the Grand Floridian. Riviera was nice because it doesn't share busses with anyone.

That being said, if you know you're spending almost all your time at MK, I would look on the monorail loop if you can swing it (or Wilderness Lodge). I know people rave about the walk from the Contemporary to MK, but honestly, I hated that walk and didn't find it convenient at all and I really don't like the configuration of the monorail stop in the contemporary.

These are things I would consider when looking at hotels:

The pool/splash pad area.
Is the building self contained or does it have different buildings?
Counter service options vs table service options
If deluxe, do all rooms have balconies/patios or only some rooms.

ETA: The strollers do not need to be folded on the monorail unless it's REALLY crowded, but I've always walked on with a single or double stroller. The skyliner will make you collapse a side by side double stroller

Last edited:
You specifically mention an ASD 4-yr-old. What are your concerns? Are you looking for quiet, less noise outside the room? Less stimulation? Close to amenities?

We've always found POR or CBR to have a calming atmosphere. There's the ability to "get away" from the chaos of the pool and main building. It's also fairly easy to take a quiet walk if one child or the other needs to get out of the room and decompress. The theming isn't "in your face" like the value resorts. I find inside hallways can be noisier than outside hallways, though that largely depends on the behavior of other guests -- I guess I always end up on hallways with kids running up and down. Of course a moderate won't be as close for returning to the room -- either for the baby's nap or a break for the preschooler -- so if you want to be close to MK and deluxe is in your budget look at resorts on the monorail loop as PP suggests.

I would go with the DVC studios at the Polynesian, if that's in your budget. It's has two bathrooms areas and many convert one of them into a quiet, dark space for a pack n play for a baby (or could also be a nice quiet space for your 4 year old to decompress if needed). It's on the monorail to MK and to easy to walk to the TTC to get the monorail to Epcot, too. You don't generally need to fold up strollers on the monorail. You would need to get a bus (or Minnie Van) to Hollywood studios if you did that, but it's the best access to MK for sure to be on the monorail.

The DVC rooms also all have a balcony, which was appealing for me and my husband so we could sit outside after our kid goes to bed and still feel like we're in the atmosphere.

The primary downside of the Polynesian is simply the price and, because it's small, deals are often not available in my experience looking over the last year or so. We're staying there in March with our 2.5 year old for the same reasons I'm highlighting here. would also consider Wilderness Lodge if you're looking for something a little quieter - since it is on the monorail and has dining people really like, the Polynesian grounds/lobby can be quite busy. I think the Wilderness Lodge is more remote feeling. It's not on the monorail, but you can take a boat to MK, so you don't need to get on a bus.

Do you know when you're going and have a budget in mind?

My favorite resort with a stroller was POFQ. It was super small and compact, but we only had one kid back then.

Since then we've stayed at Polynesian and Riviera. While I love the Polynesian, the downside is the busses are shared with the Grand Floridian. Riviera was nice because it doesn't share busses with anyone.

That being said, if you know you're spending almost all your time at MK, I would look on the monorail loop if you can swing it (or Wilderness Lodge). I know people rave about the walk from the Contemporary to MK, but honestly, I hated that walk and didn't find it convenient at all and I really don't like the configuration of the monorail stop in the contemporary.

These are things I would consider when looking at hotels:

The pool/splash pad area.
Is the building self contained or does it have different buildings?
Counter service options vs table service options
If deluxe, do all rooms have balconies/patios or only some rooms.

ETA: The strollers do not need to be folded on the monorail unless it's REALLY crowded, but I've always walked on with a single or double stroller. The skyliner will make you collapse a side by side double stroller
Thanks for all of the great info!

You specifically mention an ASD 4-yr-old. What are your concerns? Are you looking for quiet, less noise outside the room? Less stimulation? Close to amenities?

We've always found POR or CBR to have a calming atmosphere. There's the ability to "get away" from the chaos of the pool and main building. It's also fairly easy to take a quiet walk if one child or the other needs to get out of the room and decompress. The theming isn't "in your face" like the value resorts. I find inside hallways can be noisier than outside hallways, though that largely depends on the behavior of other guests -- I guess I always end up on hallways with kids running up and down. Of course a moderate won't be as close for returning to the room -- either for the baby's nap or a break for the preschooler -- so if you want to be close to MK and deluxe is in your budget look at resorts on the monorail loop as PP suggests.
Thanks for the info! I guess since it would be our first trip with kids, we don’t know how the ASD preschooler will do. We were thinking it might be better to be close to our resort if he has a meltdown and needs a break. (Which also benefits the baby’s nap time too) Any specific monorail resorts smaller or easier to navigate than others to get the almost 5 year old back easier?

I would go with the DVC studios at the Polynesian, if that's in your budget. It's has two bathrooms areas and many convert one of them into a quiet, dark space for a pack n play for a baby (or could also be a nice quiet space for your 4 year old to decompress if needed). It's on the monorail to MK and to easy to walk to the TTC to get the monorail to Epcot, too. You don't generally need to fold up strollers on the monorail. You would need to get a bus (or Minnie Van) to Hollywood studios if you did that, but it's the best access to MK for sure to be on the monorail.

The DVC rooms also all have a balcony, which was appealing for me and my husband so we could sit outside after our kid goes to bed and still feel like we're in the atmosphere.

The primary downside of the Polynesian is simply the price and, because it's small, deals are often not available in my experience looking over the last year or so. We're staying there in March with our 2.5 year old for the same reasons I'm highlighting here. would also consider Wilderness Lodge if you're looking for something a little quieter - since it is on the monorail and has dining people really like, the Polynesian grounds/lobby can be quite busy. I think the Wilderness Lodge is more remote feeling. It's not on the monorail, but you can take a boat to MK, so you don't need to get on a bus.

Do you know when you're going and have a budget in mind?
Thanks so much for the response- the detail is appreciated! We are planning for this spring, so it won’t be too hot for the kids. Originally we were thinking about a moderate but depending on pricing/offers we’re thinking of splurging on one of these deluxes to make it less chaotic/simpler all around.

Thanks so much for the response- the detail is appreciated! We are planning for this spring, so it won’t be too hot for the kids. Originally we were thinking about a moderate but depending on pricing/offers we’re thinking of splurging on one of these deluxes to make it less chaotic/simpler all around.
If you do go with a moderate, I would also second what another poster said about port orleans French quarter. I love that resort and definitely plan to stay there for future trips. I just really wanted the monorail for this first trip with our toddler since I’m not sure how it will go and wanted quick getaway options. We also plan to go back for midday breaks so proximity was extra important. If you’re maybe only doing half days, or if your younger child would nap in the park and older no longer needs a nap, those factors may be less important for you.

I also love the spring for trips! Early March is my favorite weather wise. I’m sure you know, but later March and April gets VERY crowded with the spring break crowd. I think it calms down in May but temps also start to rise.

Thanks for the info! I guess since it would be our first trip with kids, we don’t know how the ASD preschooler will do. We were thinking it might be better to be close to our resort if he has a meltdown and needs a break. (Which also benefits the baby’s nap time too) Any specific monorail resorts smaller or easier to navigate than others to get the almost 5 year old back easier?
The closest resort to return to from MK is the Contemporary. If proximity is most important you can either walk there or take a monorail. There is also a walking path to the Grand Floridian but it's longer. Once he hits meltdown stage you'll want either a resort you can walk to, private transportation, or find a quieter place within the park because trying to get him onto public transportation and back to your resort may not be reasonable.

Here's a link to WDW's Guide for Guests with Cognitive Disabilities. It's more parks-based than resorts-based, but there are some good pointers.

I'd also suggest a short hotel stay before the WDW trip if the kids have never been to a hotel before. Maybe somewhere local, or visiting relatives; a couple of nights to give you an idea of how he reacts. Different bedding, different pillow, everyone in 1 room (? unless you plan a suite), plumbing sounds, footsteps upstairs, voices in the hallway, cars outside the window, eating out 3 meals a day, etc. Hotel bathrooms tend to be loud and echo-y so be prepared there if he reacts to sudden loud noises.

Based on my 2 kids, make sure he sleeps well. If he's not feeling getting up early that morning, just go later in the day. Make sure he's well fed and well hydrated.

My younger one absolutely hates traveling and wants to go home on the first day...and by day 3 or 4 is DONE.

If it is in your budget the contemporary would be by far the best, with grand floridian the second. I've traveled with 3 five and under with the oldest having extremely severe ADHD. The monorail is fantastic because you don't have to fold up a stroller, even a double. Plus, I actually liked the walk to and from MK from the contemporary. Especially with a kid that needs to decompress. It's a pretty calm and peaceful walk. If you're spending the majority of your time at MK it makes sense to stay at an MK resort if possible. That way if you need to get back for nap time or to unwind you have easy access. If your 4 yr old is having a meltdown you can just walk back rather than attempting to climb on a bus mid-meltdown. It truly is a lifesafer. The other option would be taking a minnie van back to the resort to avoid a bus.

I would suggest a 1 bedroom at Bay Lake Tower. Very close to MK, you can walk back to it for naps/outfit changes/forgotten items, no need to fold up stroller if baby is sleeping in it, and a one bedroom gives you space if any member of your party needs room and time to calm down and decompress. You aren’t all on top of each other like in a hotel room / studio. There is a lot to take in at the parks for a first trip. The 1 bedroom also offers a kitchen and dining table in case you want to have a quiet meal in your room away from the din of the parks or a quick service restaurant. (We actually love getting food to go from Steakhouse 71 and Contempo Cafe and just eating it somewhere calmer like our room balcony at the end of a long day.)

A deluxe also offers longer evening hours at some parks on certain days and the extra hours tend to have far fewer people. (But whether it’ll be useful at all depends on sleep schedule and time zone differences for your family.)

If you do go with a moderate, I would also second what another poster said about port orleans French quarter. I love that resort and definitely plan to stay there for future trips. I just really wanted the monorail for this first trip with our toddler since I’m not sure how it will go and wanted quick getaway options. We also plan to go back for midday breaks so proximity was extra important. If you’re maybe only doing half days, or if your younger child would nap in the park and older no longer needs a nap, those factors may be less important for you.

I also love the spring for trips! Early March is my favorite weather wise. I’m sure you know, but later March and April gets VERY crowded with the spring break crowd. I think it calms down in May but temps also start to rise.
Thank you again! All great points to think about!

If you want to book a monorail resort, book CR. Shortest monorail ride back to the resort and shortest walk if you want that instead. If you only want to pay for a moderate, definitely POFQ. It’s smaller and generally a pretty quiet resort.

Definitely make sure you have tried some recent hotel stays close to home before you go if you haven’t done that much with kids. I have a friend who can tell stories about her 17 month old who went from an easy going toddler at home to a nightmare child away from home. Now about 5 yo, it’s better, but her kid is not a good traveler.

The closest resort to return to from MK is the Contemporary. If proximity is most important you can either walk there or take a monorail. There is also a walking path to the Grand Floridian but it's longer. Once he hits meltdown stage you'll want either a resort you can walk to, private transportation, or find a quieter place within the park because trying to get him onto public transportation and back to your resort may not be reasonable.

Here's a link to WDW's Guide for Guests with Cognitive Disabilities. It's more parks-based than resorts-based, but there are some good pointers.

I'd also suggest a short hotel stay before the WDW trip if the kids have never been to a hotel before. Maybe somewhere local, or visiting relatives; a couple of nights to give you an idea of how he reacts. Different bedding, different pillow, everyone in 1 room (? unless you plan a suite), plumbing sounds, footsteps upstairs, voices in the hallway, cars outside the window, eating out 3 meals a day, etc. Hotel bathrooms tend to be loud and echo-y so be prepared there if he reacts to sudden loud noises.
Thanks for sharing that link! Going to check it out now! And GREAT idea on the prior hotel stay. All the little things I had not thought of..I really appreciate you sharing the smallest details!

If it is in your budget the contemporary would be by far the best, with grand floridian the second. I've traveled with 3 five and under with the oldest having extremely severe ADHD. The monorail is fantastic because you don't have to fold up a stroller, even a double. Plus, I actually liked the walk to and from MK from the contemporary. Especially with a kid that needs to decompress. It's a pretty calm and peaceful walk. If you're spending the majority of your time at MK it makes sense to stay at an MK resort if possible. That way if you need to get back for nap time or to unwind you have easy access. If your 4 yr old is having a meltdown you can just walk back rather than attempting to climb on a bus mid-meltdown. It truly is a lifesafer. The other option would be taking a minnie van back to the resort to avoid a bus.
Thank you! Any suggestions on best places to eat in/around MK? It can be hard to keep him in a seat (if that helps suggest places)
Also for the Minnie Vans- how do you sign up, and do you need to provide a car seat yourself/cost? Thanks again!

I would suggest a 1 bedroom at Bay Lake Tower. Very close to MK, you can walk back to it for naps/outfit changes/forgotten items, no need to fold up stroller if baby is sleeping in it, and a one bedroom gives you space if any member of your party needs room and time to calm down and decompress. You aren’t all on top of each other like in a hotel room / studio. There is a lot to take in at the parks for a first trip. The 1 bedroom also offers a kitchen and dining table in case you want to have a quiet meal in your room away from the din of the parks or a quick service restaurant. (We actually love getting food to go from Steakhouse 71 and Contempo Cafe and just eating it somewhere calmer like our room balcony at the end of a long day.)

A deluxe also offers longer evening hours at some parks on certain days and the extra hours tend to have far fewer people. (But whether it’ll be useful at all depends on sleep schedule and time zone differences for your family.)
Thank you! Appreciate the response!

Thanks for sharing that link! Going to check it out now! And GREAT idea on the prior hotel stay. All the little things I had not thought of..I really appreciate you sharing the smallest details!
also make sure to try any food or drink changes before you leave home. we had a bad trip landing very late at night and daughter not liking the milk offered and too late to get anything else at the store

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter