• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Which rides are tough?scary? Physically and mentally

Anabelletoronto

Mouseketeer
My daughter is tall enough to ride everything but is only going to be 6 and is not super brace but sometimes surprises me.
Which rides should I investigate before we go? I know SM, TofT RNR but someone mentioned PW (no idea what that stands for) and a few other rides in another thread which made me realize I need to open my study.
Any suggestions of which YouTube video reviews I should watch?
She has been on a kid-youth roller coaster and loved it. No upside down but a pretty big drop to start. She didn't like that one last year, but this year rode t until I had to beg for a break myself.

Most of the Disney "thrill" rides are well themed and pretty tame by most thrill seeker standards.
Our "fearless" DD7 was a roller coaster maniac. She loved all the "mountains" and thrill rides.
...she was however brought to tears in the Haunted Mansion...go figure!

Expedition Everest, it goes backwards for a bit which scares some. Unfortunately, space mountain and tower of terror videos aren't too helpful because the ride is so dark.

My 7 year old likes most thrill rides. She loves EE and BTMRR. The storylines can sometimes get to her. For instance she hates Tower of Terror and Haunted Mansion. I would probably stay away from Its Tough to Be a Bug and Dinosaur. Most little ones dislike Its Tough to Be a Bug. My 7 year old loves Dinosaur, but it is intense.

My daughter is tall enough to ride everything but is only going to be 6 and is not super brace but sometimes surprises me.
Which rides should I investigate before we go? I know SM, TofT RNR but someone mentioned PW (no idea what that stands for) and a few other rides in another thread which made me realize I need to open my study.
Any suggestions of which YouTube video reviews I should watch?
She has been on a kid-youth roller coaster and loved it. No upside down but a pretty big drop to start. She didn't like that one last year, but this year rode t until I had to beg for a break myself.

My daughter just turned 6 the last time we went, actually while we were there. She likes exciting stuff but would not call her a daredevil she just isn't a big chicken like me and dd16.

She went on these: BTMR, Splash, 7DMT, Soarin, Test Track, Dinosaur, Star Tours. She did not go on EE, Primevil whirl (this is like death to me.), Space (i thought she might be scared of dark and of not being next to dad.), RnRC, ToT, Mission Space (might be okay now just not a ride any of us like.)

This time she will turn 9 while there and she is only planning on adding ToT to the list.

I was there this year with my five year old daughter - she went on mine train, big thunder, haunted mansion, pirates of the Caribbean (wasn't scared but thought it was boring haha), Expedition Everest, tower of terror, Soarin...pretty much everything. Loved all of them and still talks about Everest on a regular basis. She wasn't tall enough for the primeval whirl and almost cried.

I'm pretty resilient to any rides, but the spaceship earth ride made me feel extremely ill, I think it was the orange one I done (the more extreme one) it pretty much ruined that day for me going on rides...heed the warnings on that ride.

I'm pretty resilient to any rides, but the spaceship earth ride made me feel extremely ill, I think it was the orange one I done (the more extreme one) it pretty much ruined that day for me going on rides...heed the warnings on that ride.
I think you meant Mission Space... I don't think Spaceship Earth can make you ill, unless you really dislike the smell of smoke :D

My 7 year old likes most thrill rides. She loves EE and BTMRR. The storylines can sometimes get to her. For instance she hates Tower of Terror and Haunted Mansion. I would probably stay away from Its Tough to Be a Bug and Dinosaur. Most little ones dislike Its Tough to Be a Bug. My 7 year old loves Dinosaur, but it is intense.
We didn't get to see tough to be a bug last trip...can you elaborate on that? My youngest will be 23 months when we're there again, is it safe to assume he won't enjoy it then?

Only you know your kid. Every kid is different. For a 6 year old, I would watch YouTube videos for every ride you are concerned about and make your own decision since you know her best. 6 year olds can go either way, some are ready for everything, some are not.

My daughter is 16. She won't ride finding nemo and friends. She is terrified of sharks, even pretend. Bruce's shark world scares her. She almost did not go on the Little mermaid ride for the same reason.

Call me crazy, but I kind of hate the idea of watching ride videos before going to WDW or any theme park. IMO, it kind of defeats the whole point of going.

Obviously, if you have a child with special needs, then it is fine to take extra precautions.

The whole point of WWD though is to experience a little adventure in a place that's reasonably safe. We should always pay attention to fire exits, for example.

Otherwise, the whole point of a theme park is to explore, especially the park that Walt built! Disney himself said it many times, and it is STILL repeated all over the parks.

I've been going to WDW since I was very little, long before the internet, and that excitement is the reason I'm still a fan!

When you see the thrill rides, it is very obvious that they are thrill rides. The best way, IMO, to help your child have a great time is simply to let them decide.

It is also okay to close your eyes once in a while.

I don't say all this because I was never afraid of any rides. I say all this because I feel empowered every time I brave a new attraction. It was true when I was three, and it was true when I braved FoP last month. I say: reward your child for being brave, never belittle them, and enjoy WDW together!

I will say that if there are any possible fears that you definitely decide if it is worth trying or just waiting a bit. We took my cousin's twin 4 year olds (B&B) on ToT in June. Girl twin had asked to ride it and boy twin just went along for the ride. They were terrified. Girl twin said she never wanted to ride again and boy twin was scared of anything that was slightly dark for the rest of the trip, even if he had already been on it and loved it. Luckily this was the next to last day of the trip before they left.

My cousin loves ToT and figures she will have to wait a few more years before letting them try that one again. They loved all of the other "big" rides they rode. The only things they did not do is Space Mountain, which my cousin does not trust them to stay seated, and Primeval Whirl since they are not tall enough.

Primeval Whirl was the worst I have ridden. Not because of big drops, but because it beats you up bad and it feels on many of the turns like it is about to come off the track.
Dinosaur was pretty rough also, but at least had a story line.
Everest is fun, though I'd probably skip the last car. It gets pretty intense when it goes backwards, but I like it.
Spaceship Earth can get bumpy at times, but is otherwise not intense at all.
Frozen Ever After was surprisingly bumpy when I rode it. Not sure if it is always that way or if it was just a bad run. Either way it was still worth it.
The least intense ride would probably be Peter Pan. It was smooth and nothing scary/intense.
For coasters, despite some head fakes, 7DMT is a fun ride, especially when the cars are well balanced as they rock side to side.

Once Upon A Time, I embarked on a WDW vacation with a thrill seeking 11YO Girl and a rather hypersensative 9YO Boy. 9YO Boy liked everything but Dinosaur and Space Mountain. We did not Ride RnRC because of the Space Mountain Experience the day before. It was the "dark" that did him in.

Space Mountain is the roughest ride on property, to me. Lots of quick jerks and since it is dark, you can't prepare yourself for them. Of course I ride it anyway, lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter