• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Which side of the Matterhorn is less painful?

Based on your personal experience, which side of the Matterhorn is less painful?

• Tomorrowland side

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Fantasyland side

Votes: 13 92.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Athenaa

Earning My Ears
I haven't ridden the Matterhorn in four years because it was so painful the last time. Even my son, who was 13 at the time, said he would never ride it again because it hurt his back. He's young and athletic, so that surprised me. My husband felt the same way.

My brain is telling me not to do it, but we're going again in October and I really miss it. I've been researching online, and I'm getting conflicting reports. Some people say to ride on the left, and others say to ride on the right. Some say that rows three and five are best, while others say that row four is best (in terms of avoiding pain). Some say to lean forward to avoid spinal pain, while others say to lean into the seat and brace yourself. I'm interested to hear from people who have ridden both sides since it was redesigned. I'm going with my 62-year-old mother-in-law and she wants to ride but I'm worried for her. Thank you in advance!

While both sides are rough, I feel the Fantasyland side is a little easier.

I don't feel like I get tossed around as much.
I'm almost 65, 5'3" and all the rows are ok for my height.
I still ride it once each trip with the grandkids.

If you are only going to ride it once, go after dark. The view is pretty with all the lights.

Geemo

I've perfected it. If you sit forward so your tailbone cannot possibly land on the seat in the final section, you can ride pain free. Also, brace your arms on the seat in front of you. Crazy, but it works for me. I've had a bad back for years and am so glad I finally figured out a way to ride without pain. FL side is slightly easier on the body, but I feel like the weight of the people in your car and whether you're in the front or back car plays a role, too.

Fantasyland side (right side) is a bit smoother than the Tomorrowland side (left side). However, the TL side is more thrilling.
A couple of years ago they added some extra cushion for your bottom.
If you are taller than 6ft you shouldn't ride in rows 1 or 3 as there will be less room for your legs.
Like a previous poster said, DO NOT lay your back against the seat. Arc your back forward by holding onto the handrail in front of you.

ME

I only went on the Fantasyland side and it was so painful, I skipped the ride the next time the kids went on. However, my husband did ride both sides and he said the Tomorrowland side was even worse! I couldn't believe it. I think it's a ride I won't be enjoying any longer :(

I don't ride it, but my teens ride it multiple times per day. They definitely reported the right (Fantasyland) side to be less painful. DD17 calls the left side "the headache side." And she rides literally anything.

I've perfected it. If you sit forward so your tailbone cannot possibly land on the seat in the final section, you can ride pain free. Also, brace your arms on the seat in front of you. Crazy, but it works for me. I've had a bad back for years and am so glad I finally figured out a way to ride without pain. FL side is slightly easier on the body, but I feel like the weight of the people in your car and whether you're in the front or back car plays a role, too.
Totally agree with this method-you definitely have to brace yourself, lean forward with your back off of the seat. Rode it several time in a row last October and didn't get tossed around.

What a funny thread :) I honestly haven't thought about it enough to make a decision either way. I would need to ride it back to back to decide. Maybe I'll do that this weekend..

A couple of years ago they added some extra cushion for your bottom.
I was just there this past week and am happy to report that they also have added padding to the backrest of the seats as well. While the ride is still jerky, it now is not nearly as painful as it used to be. :)

I agree that the Fantasyland side is a little tamer. Also, when we rode it we noticed that the water level at the end of the ride was higher on the Tomorrowland side. On Thursday last week, we actually got drenched. More than when we rode Splash Mountain and Grizzly River run on the same day.

The right side is less painful, but the left side (TL) is a lot more fun. Just sit forward and use your arms to hold you in place. That will protect your neck and back.

I also brace myself and don't have issues with the ride on either side. At first it was a little hard to get out of row 3, but I've figured that out too. The seating is the same on both sides, so it doesn't make a different as far as the getting in and out of the ride part.

Rode it for the first time ever last Tuesday evening! I was on the Tomorrowland side. I usually don't like roller coasters or jerky rides, but I do like to ride things at least once to see what it's all about. I had no problem at all. Felt great when I got off. Didn't get wet either.

Now, last year we rode Hyper-Space Mountain, and I thought I took a couple years off my life - that was intense!

The last time I rode on the TL side, I got completely drenched on the splash at the end. A couple other people in front of me did as well. It was totally unexpected as I have never gotten wet on the ride before.

Both sides are jerky, but it did seem like the TL was worse and getting soaked at the end when I wasn't expecting to get wet is making me not want to ride the ride anymore.

The right side is less painful, but the left side (TL) is a lot more fun. Just sit forward and use your arms to hold you in place. That will protect your neck and back.

I agree! I rode it 3 times last week without any pain

I actually got rear ended driving up to DL one time, and that was the least painful of the 3 options. Much less neck crunching from actual whiplash.

Hahahaha. Yeah, that's how we felt when we last rode it. Thanks for your responses, everyone. I'm pleased to hear that they've added some padding, so we're going to try the FL side and lean forward. I'm actually really looking forward to riding it at night. I don't remember if I've ever done that before. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter