• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Which Southern Itinerary in May 2023?

bethy

DIS Veteran
Help! On a crazy whim I am thinking of booking our first Southern Caribbean cruise on the Magic in May 2023. I haven't had time yet to research all the ports because the idea just occurred to me.

DH and I are total beach people - the number one priority is easy access to nice beaches without an excursion and we like to swim in the ocean. We also love Sea Days and will likely stay on the ship for a port or two.

If you know anything about these ports which would you book in our case?

7-Night Southern Caribbean Cruise from San Juan
San Juan (Pan American Pier) • St. Maarten • Antigua • At Sea • Roseau, Dominica • St. Lucia • Barbados
5/13/23

8-Night Southern Caribbean Cruise from San Juan
San Juan (Pan American Pier) • Basseterre, St. Kitts • St. Lucia • Kralendijk, Bonaire • At Sea • Aruba • Curaçao • At Sea
5/5/23

Help! On a crazy whim I am thinking of booking our first Southern Caribbean cruise on the Magic in May 2023. I haven't had time yet to research all the ports because the idea just occurred to me.

DH and I are total beach people - the number one priority is easy access to nice beaches without an excursion and we like to swim in the ocean. We also love Sea Days and will likely stay on the ship for a port or two.

If you know anything about these ports which would you book in our case?

7-Night Southern Caribbean Cruise from San Juan
San Juan (Pan American Pier) • St. Maarten • Antigua • At Sea • Roseau, Dominica • St. Lucia • Barbados
5/13/23

8-Night Southern Caribbean Cruise from San Juan
San Juan (Pan American Pier) • Basseterre, St. Kitts • St. Lucia • Kralendijk, Bonaire • At Sea • Aruba • Curaçao • At Sea
5/5/23
If I had to pick one - I'd pick the 8 night cruise. For a couple of reasons:
1) 8 night is better than 7 night
2) Four ports I've not been to on the 8 night, while the 7 night only has two.

Only thing stopping me from booking this one - sailing out of San Juan. I'm not that interested in Puerto Rico.

We are going to book the 8 night (I agree eight is better than seven). Since my in-laws were unable to come to Alaska with us this year, we are going to go with them hopefully on this one. We haven’t been to any of the ports except Saint Kitts. My boss/colleague used to go to Bonaire every year to scuba dive. He loves it a lot… so I am very excited to see it.

I would do the 8-night. The longer the better, IMHO, especially if you are staying on the ship for a few ports. If you are at all interested in snorkeling, Bonaire is extraordinary (book through Woodwinds!)

Thanks all! We not been to ANY of the ports. Have tried snorkeling a few times in Hawaii and it just isn't for us. We like to wade in the water and bob in the waves and lie under a palapa and admire the water - we are boring. Our favorite island so far has been St. Thomas.

Agree that longer is usually better but for us 7 nights is still a luxury as we have typically done 5, 6 and only one 7 night cruise. Also we are worried about being away from our kids for too long . . . so the 8th night is not really a deciding factor - and it's more expensive but that is also not that big of a deal.

The 8 night. But I might be biased as I really didn’t like St Lucia and loved St Kitts.

The 8 night. But I might be biased as I really didn’t like St Lucia and loved St Kitts.
Being "biased" means you have an opinion on the ports and that is exactly what I am looking for so thank you!!

Being "biased" means you have an opinion on the ports and that is exactly what I am looking for so thank you!!
Also for me the first itinerary doesn’t have enough sea days. The southern in 2014 was the same. 5 ports on 7 night cruise and it was exhausting.

I absolutely love st. Kitts and Barbados! I was lucky enough to take a course in college that spent 2 weeks studying in Dominica. It is such an amazing place that I loved so much I made sure to book our honeymoon cruise that stopped there. We hiked to middleham falls and went snorkeling at champagne hole where tiny bubbles come up due to hydrothermal vents. Either itinerary would be awesome and I wish I could but can’t take time off in May biology teacher!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter