Which sunscreen that doesn't yellow clothes?

mickeys friend

DIS Veteran
I have used several different brands of sunscreen when we go to WDW and have a big problem with yellow stains that will not come off on my clothes. I have put the sunblock on and let it dry before dressing and that doesn't work either.I really need to know which brands work best and don't yellow clothes.Thanks

I HATE this!!! All my kids tshirts get ruined during the summer (and Disney trips). I have learned my lesson on buying them white for sure! I don't know if there is one that doesn't stain...but I'll be watching this thread!! Drives me crazy!!!

A while back someone wrote about soaking in Dawn and water then washing with regular detergent. Try a search about sunscreen or sunblock to see if a thread pops up.

I've tried a bunch of things....found here and Googled for. Nothing worked. :(

I think the aerosol sprays are worse than anything else. I used to buy a pump spray Coppertone in a blue bottle that I don't remember ever staining our clothes, but they don't sell it anymore. I don't remember having this problem before I started buying the aerosols.

I have no problems with sunscreen yellowing clothes - heck, I've gotten quite a bit on my kids clothes as I try to get it on them. BUT I use chemical free stuff - Kiss My Face or Badger.

Never knew this was an issue. We wear sunscreen EVERYDAY. The boys hate it, but they just have to use it or the burn too quickly. We usually use Waterbabies or one of the other kids' versions that don't sting eyes.

We use the regular lotion type that comes in the tubes.

They also wear white.

Now if we could find a sunscreen that doesn't mess up our Tervis Tumblers....

Being a redhead, I am a true sunblock fanatic. I like to use the Neutrogena Dry Touch lotion and spray on my body. I know that most people only use them on their faces, but the extra cost for the comfort they provide is totally worth it. I have not had any trouble with any yellowing with this brand.

We have also rcently started using the Wet application Stick Neutrogena as well and have not had problems with it. I don;t use it on my face or body (too sensitive skin), but my kids love it and can apply it pretty well themselves.

My favorite face lotion is La Roche Posay Anthelios 55 or 60. I apply it everyday and it takes me about 2 months to go through it. If you buy it on Amazon the price is pretty good. I have no trouble with yellowing, transfer to clothing or sweating off with this brand.

Hope this helps!:yay:

Now I know what happened to DH's shirt!!

He has a white exercise top that he wore to the pool a couple of times and I noticed the other day that it had yellowish stains all over big areas of it. The yellow isn't dark but I was looking at it and wondering what in the heck he did to it.

He didn't have a clue and neither did I! Now I know what it is! This is the first time I've ever seen this happen!

I will definitely give the Dawn a try and see how it works.

I first noticed this last year on my daughter's swimsuit. I've only had a problem with it while I used the kids spray. We live in the south and have used sunscreen pretty much every single day during most of the year and never had a problem with it when I used the regular old lotion kind. It's SO much easier to just spray it on but now I only use the spray when she has her already-yellowed swimsuit on and use the regular lotion with her new ones.

I use the store brand spray sunscreen and have never had any issues with it discoloring our clothing :confused3.

Last year I read an article that said it is the minerals in the water that cause the sunscreen to stain due to oxidation and that the effect varies depending on what's in the water in your area. Bleach or oxi-clean will make it worse. The suggestion to get it out was lemon juice, but I haven't tried it.

Being a redhead, I am a true sunblock fanatic. I like to use the Neutrogena Dry Touch lotion and spray on my body. I know that most people only use them on their faces, but the extra cost for the comfort they provide is totally worth it. I have not had any trouble with any yellowing with this brand.

Hope this helps!:yay:

apparently I am really messed up :confused3 because so many have told me the Neutrogena is all they use. I bought a bunch and everytime I use it I end up with it rubbing off on my clothes. Not yellow but white all over clothes. I have to use sunscreen all the time as I am very blonde and fair skinned. Any one else have this happen?

meme

It is the minerals in the water, as previously mentioned. So it does depend on where you live and your water. The ingredient that causes it is Avobenzone. I have not had a problem for the last 3 years by avoiding that ingredient. I have not found a spray without it though. The brands I use are Banana Boat and Walmart Equate.

I created an account just because I knew I could help on this thread. Been lurking all over the disBoards for several weeks. Just booked our first vacation to Disney World this spring!

I have had this problem with not only whites but colored ones too.Also,years ago I never had this problem,but the last several years it's become a big problem.I have tried the Dawn and also tons of other things,and nothing has worked.It's awful when you leave your room at WDW without any stains and come back with them everywhere and you have to change clothes.Who can afford to buy clothes and wear them only once? It even gets on my white socks.Colored or whites it all get's stains.

advil said:
It is the minerals in the water, as previously mentioned. So it does depend on where you live and your water. The ingredient that causes it is Avobenzone. I have not had a problem for the last 3 years by avoiding that ingredient. I have not found a spray without it though. The brands I use are Banana Boat and Walmart Equate.

I created an account just because I knew I could help on this thread. Been lurking all over the disBoards for several weeks. Just booked our first vacation to Disney World this spring!

This is right on... Avoid Avobenzone! I also have/had the problem with yellow... At my last house it was horrible and it was orange... Since I started avoiding that chemical... The problems stoped.

I have been using Up&up brand (target). I still check the labels just in case they change something.

Hope this helps.

Kiss My Face spray doen't have it, but it's a pump spray not a aerosol.

We had this happen to us the first time while at disney this past June! Worst thing.. I wash a load of clothes with my cover up! Yellow stains everywhere! I couldn't figure out .. and finally my Mom said what about the suntan lotion... That was it! Worst Ever! We will never use Coppertone Again!

Thanks for the heads up on this!!

I always wondered what the yellow was from and I have not been able to get it out of our clothes.

Spray Coppertone seems to have caused the yellowing. We have not had the problem with the Coppertone lotion.

Yup , another confirmation of avobenzone. I have yet to find a spray that is avobenzone free. However, it seems all or at least most of the sunscreen labeled kids or babies doesn't have it. We use the coppertone kids SPF 50. Lotion is a pain but tired of destroyed clothes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter