Which would you choose for the 60th: World of Color or Paint the Night?

mjlum

Mouseketeer
I know... why am I even asking this question?!? It's the 60th anniversary!

However, my husband hates waiting for shows, parades- all the good stuff… So, he's "compromising" & says we can do 1 big show/parade. We have 2 girls 4 & 6- so it would be hard to do late night shows. Which one is better for little girls? We’ll be there Sun 11/29 – 12/1 Tues.

For those who have seen both... Which would you pick – Paint the Night or World of Color? and WHY?

For WOC...
We’ve seen WOC last year- Is it really similar?

For Paint the Night...
Anything like the Electric Parade - LOVED that!

Thanks!

Paint the Night. My daughter was kind of bored with WOC, she was four at the time.
Paint the Night has music, movement, lights, action!! Then you can catch the fireworks right after the parade and your husband won't even realize he got tricked into seeing two shows!

PTN. I can't imagine a 4 or 6 year old being interested in the disjointed story of Walt Disney.

100% PTN.

As for Electric Parade comarison. While that parade will always be near and dear to my heart, PTN has actually resolved my longing for it to come back to DL. MSEP will always be my all time favorite, but PTN is an extremely worthy successor and a fantastic parade. And it, while not being the same by any means as MSEP, conveys an essence of it. Perhaps because of Barouque Hoedown being played.

Definitely Paint the Night. It's amazing and so much fun. World of Color, not as much.

...my husband hates waiting for shows, parades- all the good stuff… So, he's "compromising" & says we can do 1 big show/parade. We have 2 girls 4 & 6- so it would be hard to do late night shows. Which one is better for little girls? We’ll be there Sun 11/29 – 12/1 Tues.

For those who have seen both... Which would you pick – Paint the Night or World of Color? and WHY?
If the choice is between PTN and WOC, and considering the ages of your girls, I would choose Fantasmic!

If your budget allows, make early reservations for the F! Dining Package at BB or RBT to view the first show. After F! stay in the same location and watch Fireworks, so that's 2 shows with minimal waiting. Your girls will have a great view, since this is seated on the ground.

You could take the train (after fireworks) and watch PTN near IASW. Crowds are manageable, since this is the late show and far from the park exit.

Given that your family loved the MSEP, I would also go with seeing PtN. It's basically very similar in concept (although with very different floats) and you can can even catch the MSEP music in the PtN soundtrack.

Otherwise...
I saw WoC: Celebrate for the first time last week. I have mixed feelings about the show; although, in full honesty, I'm not a huge fan of WoC to begin with because it's basically mist screen projections (so they're kind of fuzzy) with colored lights. WoC: Celebrate is the only one of the new 60th Anniversary shows that really felt like it had anything to do with Disneyland. The show features a mixture of Disney movie clips and Disneyland attractions. So in that way, I think WoC: Celebrate is the only show that actually honors Disneyland itself. I did feel that parts of the show were kind of slow, so the tempo was a bit uneven. I'm generally ambivalent about Neil Patrick Harris, but I felt that he was a bit of a distraction in the show. His voice is okay, but the show would have been better if they'd found someone with a better singing voice. You really need to be able to see the Mickey on Ferris Wheel to see the whole show. WoC: Celebrate still uses the FP system (distributed near Grizzly River Run) and you need to get there as soon as they open the viewing areas if you want a front row spot (highly recommended). It's worth noting that during the holiday season, they'll be presenting both WoC: Celebrate and WoC: Winter Dreams. Depending on when you went last year, you may have seen Winter Dreams already.

Paint the Night is a very lively and colorful parade that features a lot of Pixar movies (Monsters Inc, Cars, Nemo, and Toy Story) and some of the classic Disney movies (Peter Pan, Little Mermaid, Princesses (Belle, Cinderella, and Rapunzel), and Frozen). Nothing about it really has anything to do with Disneyland, so in that way it doesn't really tie into the 60th anniversary. I wish it had a few more floats dedicated to the classic Disney movies. In that way, PtN felt a lot like a nighttime version of Pixar Play Parade (that parade also has Monsters Inc, Cars, Nemo, and Toy Story floats). The music is very catchy and you can hear strains for MSEP in it (which is nice). The biggest drawback is that you have to devote a lot of time to getting a good viewing spot. Lately, the front row/curb spots have been filling up 1 to 2 hours before the parade steps off, so if you really want to see it, you'll have to commit a fair amount of time to holding your spot.

Although both shows have their merits, PTN gets my vote. The WoC: Celebrate does genuinely celebrate Walt Disney and Disneyland, but PTN is so magical. DW and I get the feels more while watching PTN.

My kids (4 and 7) actually loved World of Color:Celebrate, but I would still pick Paint the Night. Paint the Night is a great parade, and I agree with the other poster who said you should be able to sneak in seeing the fireworks afterwards without your husband worrying about it. We watched both the parade and the fireworks from the Small World area and the waiting wasn't too bad and we had a great view. I am sure some will say we missed part of the fireworks experience, but for us, it was the perfect balance of getting to experience the show and not be crammed onto main street.

Absolutely PTN- even DH, who is not really a fan of parades, loved it and said it was the best parade he had ever seen! It is amazing!

I was not a fan of the revised WOC- I prefer the old version. To me, it was way too much Neil Patrick Harris-- and I love Neil Patrick Harris, so that is saying a lot for me. DD,9, on the other hand absolutely loved it and preferred it to the old show. For about the last year (since she did a book report on Walt Disney for school), she has been obsessed with Walt Disney and his history and the Disney history in general so she absolutely loved the new version.

I love both! The Celebrate WOC is great, but with two littles I would choose PTN! That parade is a keeper and littles will love it!!!

With the ages of your girls, I would say PTN. It is lively and colorful and the music is fun. If you watch from Main St., then you can just move into the street afterward to watch the fireworks. If you watch from the IASW area, you might not have to show up as early to get a spot and then as someone else mentioned, you can watch the fireworks from there.

No question here PTN. Before they changed WOC, it was my favorite between that and Fantasmic but I really love PTN. Now, im not such a fan of WOC.

While I personally prefer WOC, I would recommend PTN like everyone else. WOC will be hard for your little kids to see and there are some parts that could've been a lot better. If you wait for PTN on the part of the route that isn't in the hub or Main Street that should help minimize your waiting time so you can appease your DH.

Paint the Night is absolutely amazing, WOC is good too but i would choose PtN. I'm surprised you didn't consider Fantasmic! that's a pretty good show too.

Paint The Night--hands down, no question. I was disappointed in WOC. It's a slow start. I'm glad it finally picked up, but it's kind of a snoozefest the first 10 minutes. Die hard fans will completely disagree but that's MY opinion. The parade is one of the best, if not THE best parade I've ever seen at Disneyland or WDW. I think it's better than Electrical Parade. Have fun!

As if you need another vote for PTN but I choose PTN too. I had to explain so many things to my 5 yr old about WOC because he didn't get the story at all. He was impressed by the splashing water that changes colors but wasn't interested in what was being said on the reflection. He wants to see PTN over and over again (and I do too).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter