Which would you pick?

Sked081899

Earning My Ears
I'm having such a hard time deciding...

My husband and I are doing an adults only trip at the end of July for our 10th anniversary. I have two choices booked and can't decide which to keep. We want to be able to relax, enjoy meals, drinks, ambiance, the world showcase, and a few fast pass rides in each park.

Option A- 5 nights at the boardwalk inn
Option B- 4 nights at the Beach Club resort and 1 night at animal kingdom lodge
All choices are standard rooms.

Option B is about $150 cheaper.
We're not sure about a split stay, but are a little more excited about beach club than boardwalk in the heat of the summer. I was excited about AKL but I think my husband is not impressed.

Any experiences, input, or advice?!
Thanks!

I'm having such a hard time deciding...

My husband and I are doing an adults only trip at the end of July for our 10th anniversary. I have two choices booked and can't decide which to keep. We want to be able to relax, enjoy meals, drinks, ambiance, the world showcase, and a few fast pass rides in each park.

Option A- 5 nights at the boardwalk inn
Option B- 4 nights at the Beach Club resort and 1 night at animal kingdom lodge
All choices are standard rooms.

Option B is about $150 cheaper.
We're not sure about a split stay, but are a little more excited about beach club than boardwalk in the heat of the summer. I was excited about AKL but I think my husband is not impressed.

Any experiences, input, or advice?!
Thanks!
I would not do a split stay that resulted in only one night at the end of my stay unless there were no other options. The idea of packing up and moving after 4 nights, possibly being "homeless" on that next-to-last-day until 3 PM or later and then waiting for my luggage to catch up with me just isn't appealing to me. Not when I'm going to have to get up the following morning and re-pack my bags in order to check out by 11 AM. I'd stay at BWI this time and shoot for a BC/AKL split stay on a longer visit.

Were you unable to get BC for the fifth night? or was that a decision to try out AKL?

We stayed at BC for our 10th and had a great time. Really enjoyed spending time at the pool, ordering drinks, relaxing. Loved walking over to Epcot. Walked to Boardwalk for dinner. My vote would be to stay at BC the entire trip if possible. I have actually had AKL booked for 2 nights after staying at BC for a week plus, and couldn't bring myself to leave. Just wanted to stay and enjoy the resort some more so switched.

I have only spent one night at BW villas (before a check in at BC villas when that first night was unavailable) but it was a nice stay. Enjoyed the pool, but BC's was more relaxing.

I will also say we one stayed 4 nights and ended up having to do a split stay after 2 nights due to some room issues and I didn't like the lost time it took to switch resorts...packing up, having to move luggage, not having room available at all once checked out of one and into next. In fact we didn't have a room until late afternoon (about 4 pm I think). So if you do a split stay, make that possibility part of your plans. Since we hadn't planned on it, it ended up messing with the plans we did have.

Enjoy your time away and Happy Anniversary!

I am not a big fan of split stay for one night. BC is our home and DW and I love it there, but I would choose BW, relax and not worry about changing locations.

The only exception for me would be if you have never tried AKL and this is your one chance to do that. I think a 3/2 vs 4/1 split would allow you to experience both resorts better.

I agree with the previous posters about not wanting to switch resorts for the last night.

What is it that makes you more excited about Beach club vs. Boardwalk in the heat of summer? Both resorts are a very close walk to Epcot and a longer one to HS. And even just walking from one of the resorts to the other to enjoy the atmosphere/restaurants is very easy. I've never stayed at Beach club, but have stayed at YC, and I have stayed at Boardwalk a few times. I've always got a more "grown up" feeling at Boardwalk vs. Beach club, personally.

I would stay at the Boardwalk and not split for the one day. I love beach club but find it to be a very busy resort. Boardwalk feels more relaxed for an anniversary trip. Maybe you can try AK on a longer stay some other time.
Either way, happy anniversary and have a great time!

I wouldn't do a split stay for 1 night (or preferably at all). Boardwalk is lovely. With my teens I'd always vote BC for Stormalong Bay, but kid-free I'd go Boardwalk. Easy walk to Jellyrolls, 2 parks, etc...

I do split stays for one or two nights most every trip but the one or two nights is at the beginning of the trip. I've done two nights at AKV and 3 nights at BWV and we were having so much fun we added another night to BW but had to change rooms for that one night. I just pack two bags but I drive so it's no big deal. I think if you could do AK at the front then move to BC you might enjoy it more than that last night move. When I do my split stays, the end is always at an Epcot resort and I love them all, although I'll admit YC is my favorite. I even stay at Swan/Dolphin if the numbers come out better there. You can't go wrong with any of them.

I've stayed at both, and we really prefer BWI. At Beach club, the chances of getting a balcony are slim, and the standard views are much poorer than the standard views at BWI (I had a standard and looked over a courtyard with France's Eiffel tower and Illuminations). Most standards views at BC are roof top and parking lot. The balcony makes a big difference. Also, we found Stormalong Bay to be just way too crowded for our taste, and we go during a comparatively slow time. I did like BC, but that's because we were given major pixie dust and upgraded to a water view, full balcony. Without that, I'd be loathe to return. Plus, with BWI option, you don't have go through the hassle of moving and lose vacay time.

Boardwalk. Same reason as the others, I wouldn't want to change resorts for just one night.

Boardwalk - agree that if your room isn't ready until late afternoon and you check out at 11, it can be more effort than it is worth...perhaps you could have dinner at AKL in any of their great restaurants and enjoy an evening of food, animals and fire pits before heading back to BWI.

I am all about split stays! We do them all the time! However, when we do just one night at a resort, we do that for our first night and then move. We use that first night to just relax and then the next morning we go to the parks and let Disney do their magic and move our stuff to the next resort. If we have our own car we pack it up and move it to the new resort. We have been really lucky and had our room ready that early before so we just dump off our luggage and head to the parks!

In regards to your resort choices, we have stayed at them all. The Boardwalk was my least favorite. The room was really spacious, and I loved the interior. The problem was that getting there seemed like we had to walk 2 miles down a very long hallway! I also didn't like a dedicated QS at the resort. This probably wouldn't be a problem for me if I was there without the kiddos.
I have the same thoughts on the Beach Club...loved the rooms...hate the common spaces...here it seems like it is always Grand Central Station. The pool is great. For both of these resorts, the ease of getting to Epcot and HS is awesome!

Lastly, AKL seems so much more peaceful! I like that there is a QS. We stayed here without kids, and loved our time there. The pool is a great area...observing the animals and listening to the CMs was a lot of fun. We enjoyed a meal at Boma too!

I honestly think if you move your one night to the beginning you should be fine with any of the resorts! Have a great time! Happy Anniversary!

I have not stayed at BC, but the only draw is the pool over the others. Its the only thing there you can't experience unless you stay there. Our first stay at AKL was very upsetting for me (not the stay itself but the issues forcing us there..long story). It was our honeymoon. Let me tell you, all fears went away once we arrived. The resort is the best on property in my opinion. How many times in your life can you say you stayed at a hotel with a zoo? The smell from the fireplace, the great bar/lounge right off the lobby, Boma below that, Mara for QS is great, and the pool/bar there are great. I think if you stay there, you fall in love with it.

Next on your list, BW. It is a great resort too. The amenities, the boardwalk strip, the shops, restaurants, atmosphere, and walk to Epcot & DHS. Yes, the clown face pool is a little ridiculous, but it fits the theming. There are lots of old Disney memorabilia there. You look around, you may find some of the old hand crank picture movies from Main Street. Staying here gives you access to everything at BC in walking distance.

Like I said, I would do everything to spend 5 days at AKL. It is basically the same price as BW. You can find DVC owners to rent from 5 nights will be about $800 (rough estimate). I don't think you would be disappointed at all. If I had the money and I were to buy DVC, I would be all over AKL.

We did a one night AKL stay then moved to YC one time. LOVED AKL. Really wished we had more time there. BC is our go to resort. Have enjoyed every stay there. Love the pool, the grounds and the atmosphere. It can be hard to do a one night stay at the end because you feel like you're packing to leave twice. We've done it a number of times and while it is nice to try something for that one night, it does take the right mindset. We're doing a BC to AKL stay this summer but are doing 6 nights then 3 nights so we have time to enjoy the resorts.

I would go with Option A, BWI.
1. I wouldn't move for one night at the end of our stay if possible
2. standard view rooms are really nice at BWI - some rooms have views of Illuminations fireworks as a standard view!
3. BWI is really nice for an anniversary with lots of evening entertainment
4. ease of access to both Epcot and DHS (same at BC, but it still is nice at BWI)

Although we love split stays, we try to have at least 3 nights at each resort. With a 5 night stay we usually decide to stay at one resort for the entire visit. If you do go to Option B, I might try for 3 nights at the BC and 2 nights at AKL to make the switch worth the (admittedly minimal) effort. Also, if you go with a split stay, plan for it so that you are organized and don't need to spend more than a few minutes packing and unpacking. You might even pack an entirely separate bag for the single night at AKL
We keep almost everything in packing cubes in our suitcase and we keep out toiletries in a cosmetic bag in the bathroom. Other than emptying the safe and fridge, moving is nearly a nonevent for us. We give our bags to Bell services, go to a theme park and return to the new resort late afternoon/early evening to check in, get our bags sent to the room and get ready for our evening activities or rest. Not much to it really, but even that we usually don't bother with for one night unless necessary.

Happy 10th anniversary!

Thank you everyone for all the replies!! It really makes me feel better about making the decision.

Beach club is sold out for the last night and I'm kicking myself for not booking it originally for the entire time. We have wine tasting at jiko followed by dinner at Sanaa booked and I thought it would make sense to just stay there that night. By the time I thought about the switch being stressful, it was too late to do beach club for that night. I reserved BWI but was worried about the lack of indoor options for food and missing out on SAB. You guys are making me feel like I can look forward to BWI just as much as beach club and have confirmed our worry that switching would be too stressful!

Looks like BWI it is!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter