? Whispering canyon cafe and DS w/asperger's

Wickedmom75

Mouseketeer
Hey everyone we are leaving in 8 days and have all of our adr's already but someone in our group suggested maybe trading in cinderella's gala feast for whispering canyon, 1st let me say that we are doing CRT for breakfast the 1st morning and some are doing The PSBB in Norway so it is not about the Princesses. We all want to say good bye to the MK our last night and picked Cinerellas Gala Feast becasue we can just take the Monorail to the park, at wcc we can take the boat. My question really, is do you think my DS7 can handle the goings on if it happens to be an on night for the Cm's? The other meals I am not so worried about because I can let the charactes know that he does not like to be messed with at all ( he will not talk to stangers if they speak to him 1st ,HE has to initiate the conversation) He also does not like really loud noises ( when he was in kindergarten the class made us a video tape of them singing and he was the only one with his hands over his ears , not singing) On a past trip we did chef mickey's and he seemed ok with that but did not really interact with the characters. I want everyone to have a good time but would really hate if we had to leave because of this, I know we can run into problems anytime but need help with this. Any advice is appreciated. :confused3

while there are no characters at WCC, the waters really are characters themselves. It is quite a bustling atmosphere, but they do have tables in the back if you want to be out of the action. WCC was my kid's favorite dinner our last trip. Even our oldest who is 9 and autistic joined in the stick pony races and the ketchup thing. However loud noises (so long as they are happy noises ) do not bother him. Does your son enjoy silly antics? This place really is great for a first or last dinner at WDW! Be sure you look for the tips on all the different things to say and do to get the most out of your dinner if you do go. My ds 7 still talks about the giant fork!

My ds5 (who has an ASD) did not do well at WCC....he was very "off" the whole time we were there, and it was probably one of the least enjoyable meals of our trip. The food was good, the place was fun, but it just wasn't the right place for us. (and who knows....on a different day, he could have been fine with it...)

My 15 year old son (AS) does fine at WCC. We have been there twice in the past 2 years. The only gripe I recall from him was that his brother got a certificate for participating in a horse race and he didn't get one (since he didn't participate - too old anyway).

My DS was 3.5 yr old when we did Whispering Canyon. I was so excited about it b/c of all the things others had said about it. My son has a diagnosis of Sensory Processing Disorder, but are now looking at Asperger's. He did not do well at Whispering Canyon and none of us enjoyed ourselves b/c of it. After sitting for 1/2 hour we moved our table to try and help him. It is VERY NOISY there...between the clanging dinner bell, yelling of the waitstaff and high ceilings of the WL, my son was not able to stand it there(and this was with earplugs). It is a very loud place. Plus, the waiters act funny, but it is all sarcastic and an Asperger's kid may not get it. We will not be going back there anytime soon. I hope you find this perspective helpful and can figure out what would work for your son. If you go, bring something for his ears.

We went there with DS when he was 7. He has severe autism and does not handle loud noise well. But it was late at night and we were starved so we tried it. Thankfully we were seated near the back, for DS sake, but my other kids kinda missed all the fun. We had a good waiter who picked up on Christian's "speciality" right away and knew to not touch or make eye contact.

Having done it once, I think we will pass on it again. Christian did well at CRT(no characters) and Trail's End at FW. We plan to try Hoop Dee Doo next time--I know it's loud too, but it's musical and music is Christian's first language. If you see us outside walking the sidewalk, you'll know it didn't work out.

Cathy--likes to bring her "little house"(pop-up camper)

Thanks for the responses still trying to get everyones decision on this and then i will decide . Hopefully i will know tonight and will post back. Susan

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter