• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Whispering Canyon Cafe or ‘Ohana for MK day?

Shellee999

Mouseketeer
We plan to either do an 11:30 late breakfast at ‘Ohana or lunch (12or 1) at Whispering Canyon Cafe on our Magic Kingdom day. We’re not looking to rush either experience, but also not looking to be gone from Magic Kingdom for a significant amount of time. Which would take less time with travel and actual time in the restaurant? We wouldn’t do anything extra besides travel and eat. Would it be a significant difference? Thanks!

ETA: I know I wasn’t super clear in my original post. We’re going to both restaurants during my trip, so my question is strictly, which will take up less time on my MK day without rushing through it. Thanks again!

Last edited:
I’m not a breakfast person so Ohana would be out for me. I’d choose Whispering which would also give you a nice break from the park mid day. A quick boat ride over to The Lodge is all it takes.

WCC would be a good choice IMO followed by exploring the resort a bit, since you’re not rushing it. Wilderness Lodge to me is the most beautiful resort on property and well worth the boat ride

Ohana Best Friends Breakfast would be my choice. Whispering Canyon has unfortunately gone downhill in both food quality and the overall experience since the new menu came in, coupled with Covid. Sad because it used to be one of our favorite fun spots with really good interactive and saucy CMs doing their thing there. Now we've had to send back food and the servers were just servers. No fun interaction at all, other than ketchup. Ohana for breakfast in our experience is good, reliable and nice character interactions. We've done both most recently within the past year. (Ohana for dinner is another story altogether.)

As far as travel time I think Ohana would be quicker since it's right on the monorail loop. I have to second the prior post of Whispering Canyon, we went post COVID and were underwhelmed. Antics aside the food was just not what it was in the past. It's been almost a year so maybe someone who's been there more recently can offer more promising hope. We were there for dinner, maybe lunch is better.

You will be gone from MK for a significant amount of time either way. Personally, I would consider an early morning 'Ohana or late night WCC to maximize MK park time.

I would not leave for a late breakfast or early lunch just do an early breakfast for a time right when WCC opens and then spend the day there so you do not lose any park time and can just do a CS lunch if you think a TS will be too much food or take too long.

Hi- I think both can end up taking similar times. We have done both on MK days.
BUT: my family has used WCC as a great way to take a break from MK and have a late lunch. (Doesn’t work for O’hana breakfast- we usually aren’t ready for a break that early)
Best part of WCC- I have made same day ADR so we can actually go when it works for us. Please note- this was our plan again when I went last month BUT the virtual queue for TRON (and using genie plus) made it hard to leave the park and we ended up eating at LTT. My 12 yo loves WCC so we will try again next month on our MK day.

Thanks everyone for your responses! I totally get those who think we shouldn't leave at all.However we are going in July, and that will be our opportunity to get a break from the park.We are a group of 7, but 3 in our group aren't on property and won't have a car, so going back to the hotel isn't as easy for them.

Hi- I think both can end up taking similar times. We have done both on MK days.
BUT: my family has used WCC as a great way to take a break from MK and have a late lunch. (Doesn’t work for O’hana breakfast- we usually aren’t ready for a break that early)
Best part of WCC- I have made same day ADR so we can actually go when it works for us. Please note- this was our plan again when I went last month BUT the virtual queue for TRON (and using genie plus) made it hard to leave the park and we ended up eating at LTT. My 12 yo loves WCC so we will try again next month on our MK day.
When's the last time you went to WCC? Did they have the antics?

This is a tough one for me to answer because we’ve never left any park to eat and then return.

On our MK days we always eat breakfast super early, eat something very light midday and then dinner around 4/4:30.

To answer your question though….I would choose Ohana’s so you can jump on the monorail instead of waiting for a boat. To me, that’s easiest. Whatever you choose - have fun!!

Not the PP, but there were still antics last year. I'd pick Whispering Canyon over 'Ohana unless the characters are important.. We like the atmosphere and food better and WCC.

Not the OP either but we just ate at WCC a week ago. It was out second time this year and there were antics both times. This time we were sat in the little patio area in the back instead of the main dining room. We had napkins rained on us and our server told us to throw something at her if we needed to get her attention. She got onto us later for not throwing anything at her. One of the other tables in our area was covered in ketchup bottles. The earlier visit had the kids horsey walk and the bill came to DH complete with jail cell window. The antics are definitely back.

Thanks everyone for your responses! I totally get those who think we shouldn't leave at all.However we are going in July, and that will be our opportunity to get a break from the park.We are a group of 7, but 3 in our group aren't on property and won't have a car, so going back to the hotel isn't as easy for them.
We have used WHispering Canyon and the Wilderness Lodge for our mid-day lunch/get away from the heat/park craziness for years! I totally respect those families who never leave the parks, but my family does so much better with a break. We tend to enjoy the whole experience more when we can take a quick escape. We also like to eat at Geyser Point.

The boat ride is so relaxing! Wilderness Lodge usually has a bus running to MK too, but it is sometimes shared with the camp grounds.

We prefer Whispering Canyon for breakfast. Everyone in our party doesn't always want the all you can eat skillet, so it's nice to have different entree choices as well. We prefer the breakfast menu at WCC and we don't care for paying double to say hello to a character during our meal.

I'd do Ohana for ease of transport to/from the park. It's a quick and pleasant boat ride over to the Poly, and you get the castle view from Ohana, which is nice. Food is served pretty quickly, and is good. Edited to add, my favorite MK resort area breakfast/lunch are Steakhouse 71 (walk or monorail) and Grand Floridian Cafe (walk, boat or monorail).

Another answer to a question you did't ask (lol) but since you are going to eat at both I think either of these would take a similar time and give you a relaxing break but 'Ohana can still be hard-ish to book even with some people not loving it as much. So rather than planning my trip to 'Ohana around if it is a good break from MK, I'd probably try to plan my trip to 'Ohana around when is the latest day on my trip I could go that fit in with my plans to maximized getting the reservation. So if that is your MK day great if it isn't I'd probably try for WC on my park day and try for 'Ohana later in my trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter