• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

White tents/cabanas at Magic Kingdom?

Disney originally rented out the upscale shaded structures near Space Mountain for almost $700. The price later dropped to $500. Disney described that as a seasonal change. Per Ogre (OK, Iger, if you must).

1) Like we really believe this "spin".
2) It was NEVER described to us as a trial.
3) Evidently, Just Because You Build It, Guests Won't Buy It.

Wasn't one of the perks for these 'White Ele-Tents" reserved seating for the night time parade they no longer have...
In this case they killed the geese before they could lay enough golden eggs

I hate that people pay this much for things, I really do. In the end when people do that, it does nothing but give disney an excuse to drive the up the cost on everything else.

I don't have money to burn on things like this, and if i did, there's no way id toss out that type of money for it. $600 can go a long ways on other things.

Can buy a lot of Shula's steaks for $600.00.

Wasn't one of the perks for these 'White Ele-Tents" reserved seating for the night time parade they no longer have...
I thought it was 3pm parade and fireworks

MSEP was gone before the tents showed up.

Although I'm thinking some had luck getting evening parade viewing for the Christmas parade.

And for those questioning the success of the tents, didn't they mark the price down toward the end?

I hate that people pay this much for things, I really do. In the end when people do that, it does nothing but give disney an excuse to drive the up the cost on everything else.

I like that there are very high end things which I would never pay for, IF they add to the mystique of Disney World. I like that Grand Floridian is there; it's gorgeous and fun to walk through. Even if money were no object to me, I don't think I'd stay there, but I like that it's there.

This cabana concept (at first I thought it was cannabis tents--now there's some magic) just seems tacky and against the spirit of Magic Kingdom. At no point in Magic Kingdom is one made to feel like others are above them (well, maybe in Bibbity Bobbity Boutique). But walking by these people sitting in weird, obnoxiously priced, cabanas seems like an annoyance.

I hope they're really gone. They were trashy on many levels. I think I mentioned it before but the blue ones looked like hurricane tarps.

I hope they are gone and have killed the concept for good for the future (ie the Studios Star Wars Land).

Somebody i follow on facebook did a FB live from tomorrowland where he was "caught" peering over the hedges to see the cabanas. The Cast member offered to give him a tour and explain all the perks. This was from today and she said that Disney was actually going to build more permanent 'futuristic" structures, possibly in other areas of the park and/or other parks.
Now this is probably just another case of a CM not being told updated info... but it was interesting.
Also interesting to note that the cabanas appeared to be unrented that day

If they build a second story on the bathroom building that use to be the skyship landing platform, I don't really see the down side. They could make it a multi use space. There has to be demand for large group functions in the park. If it were setup like modern conference facilities, you could have multiple small rooms that could be combined for larger spaces depending on the group size or need. A balcony could provide viewing for fireworks and desert parties and such.
I don't really think they have enough restaurant space in the park, and to close any one of them down for restricted events seems like a poor idea. A new permanent flex space could be well utilized especially if it's construction coincides with a refurb of tomorrowland. If it doesn't reduce any park space, by going vertical on an existing structure, I really don't see an issue with it, even if its an up sell.

Now if they take away existing space, lets say, turn stitch's great escape in to cabana town, then I wouldn't be a big fan.

If they build a second story on the bathroom building that use to be the skyship landing platform, I don't really see the down side. They could make it a multi use space. There has to be demand for large group functions in the park. If it were setup like modern conference facilities, you could have multiple small rooms that could be combined for larger spaces depending on the group size or need. A balcony could provide viewing for fireworks and desert parties and such.
I don't really think they have enough restaurant space in the park, and to close any one of them down for restricted events seems like a poor idea. A new permanent flex space could be well utilized especially if it's construction coincides with a refurb of tomorrowland. If it doesn't reduce any park space, by going vertical on an existing structure, I really don't see an issue with it, even if its an up sell.

Now if they take away existing space, lets say, turn stitch's great escape in to cabana town, then I wouldn't be a big fan.

Sounds like Disney wants their share of the "luxury box" market.

I like to do things once to say I've done them. I completely understand booking a deluxe room vs. the cabana, but napping next to Space Mountain is just so alluring and I don't have to leave the park. These days, that's not as easy as it used to be.

Did they move CoP?

Put down the pitchforks my fellow CoP lovers. It was a joke.

No - the night parade was already history by the time they opened these. It was 3 PM parade and fireworks.

Sounds like Disney wants their share of the "luxury box" market.

Oh - I do think there would be a market for a "luxury box"....I just don't see the market for these tents? As I said earlier in thread, this is something that is marketed to the more wealthy consumers. I am well off, not rich but upper middle class, and more than just about anything at WDW they were totally out of MY price range. So clearly marketing to the upper, upper middle class and wealthy. But then they are a frickin' tent - something that would never satisfy the people that you are marketing them to.

The impressive thing is they will quite likely shoot down the idea of "luxury boxes" because of this failure - even though those would probably go over much better.

Just a heads up, I don't think they are done with these. They are still there, still setup and just hiding behind an instant portable hedge now. (saw them tonight)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter