Who’s excited about the Barbie movie?

DS found the hoodie listing on Saturday morning... every size was sold out. He stalked the site until it was restocked and he could order one! :lmao:Mr. Star Wars going crazy for a Ken hoodie!
I've been stalking the website all day and about an hour ago I saw more mediums were available so I grabbed one. I need everyone to know that, yes, I AM Kenough.

I went with two girlfriends and their daughters tonight. I invited DS21, not thinking he would go, but he did and wore pink! He said he LOVED it! I kind of wished my husband would have gone along. He is stuck in the era of everything this movie was against. I'm glad we are making some progress in my family as I see DS's sincere respect for women.

Beautiful montage of real girls and women, took me back to my childhood.

I wish this movie came out 20 years earlier. This is the type of movie I would watch in my 20s. I have turned into my grandma. I just want fun brainless movies with a happy ending. I don't want to think, I just want mindless fun.

There's some media buzz now about how Ryan Gosling's performance could be oscar worthy as supporting.. At first I would have rolled my eyes but the more I think about it. He somehow pulled a character off that in most cases an actor would have made it cringe worthery to not cringe worthy. when I think about it I want to see the movie again but really only the Ken parts.. He did comehow create a "Ken" character not just a blond beach poster boy.

I wish this movie came out 20 years earlier. This is the type of movie I would watch in my 20s. I have turned into my grandma. I just want fun brainless movies with a happy ending. I don't want to think, I just want mindless fun.
Then this isn’t the movie for you, no matter how old you are. It is pretty nuanced but thought provoking and there isn’t really a happy ending.

I never said take out the entire plot. If YOU lack the imagination on how to take out certain elements, which ones to keep and still have an excellent, riveting movie, well, that's on you.

However, you do illustrate my point, that some movie studios and producers think they have to make movies with an "R" rating for those who have a failure of imagination to think that a movie with less of a rating can and will be exciting, riveting and imaginative.
my “lack of imagination” means I need an R rating??? Interesting perspective. I didn’t expect much from a movie about a toy but came away realizing that Gerwig’s imagination made Barbie so much more.

My point was simply that to have taken out the topics in Barbie, and more especially The Queen’s Gambit, that made them adult movies would have taken out their entire plot. Could someone make a kid’s movie about Barbie or chess? Sure but that would not be these movies. These movies are both deeply meaningful in ways that they couldn’t have been if made as kids movies.

Plus- why does everything have to be kid appropriate?

Last edited:

Just saw it at DS this morning. It was SO good. I cried through the whole thing. It's hard not to when you have a tween daughter sitting next to you and you know she aspires to and will achieve great things. Too bad so many will consider it woke and that women being equal is a bad thing.

Different people will have varying takeaways, but IMO it was extremely well done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Then this isn’t the movie for you, no matter how old you are. It is pretty nuanced but thought provoking and there isn’t really a happy ending.
I don’t mind thought provoking but I insist on a happy ending, or at least a positive and hopeful one. I want to feel better about things when I finish watching it. Otherwise it’s not entertaining, which to me is the point of movies and scripted television. I was on the fence about seeing this movie once I could watch it at home, but now I am not so sure. It sounds like it is not my kind of film.

There are plenty of documentaries and the daily news to give me a dose of the real world.

We actually went to a theater and saw Barbie. Fun movie. I thought it got a little too serious toward the end, but it was still fun to watch, and a lot of laughs. Even DH enjoyed it. He also thinks it's hilarious I thought the ending was unrealistic/disagreeable.

My thoughts... What woman doesn't want to have Barbie's life? Dream houses, campers, cars, clothes... no housework, no hard choices?! Personally, I'll take that ANY day over humanity, Birkenstocks and gynecologists! #IChooseTheDreamHouse

Last edited:
Saw it tonight, nearly sold out theater on a Tuesday night. Lots of friend groups, and this is indeed a movie to go to the theater for. Not because you need to see this on the big screen, but as an experience together.

It is a near perfect movie for me. It is incredibly well done, not just the looks, casting etc. But the writing, amazing. I laughed out loud so much. So many little things, like the Pride &Prejudice moment, when a car flips over, the cameos of John Cena and Rob Brydon... and being from the Netherlands I was thrilled to see my country represented 😉

I really want to see it again, and I probably will in a theater.

I don’t mind thought provoking but I insist on a happy ending, or at least a positive and hopeful one. I want to feel better about things when I finish watching it. Otherwise it’s not entertaining, which to me is the point of movies and scripted television. I was on the fence about seeing this movie once I could watch it at home, but now I am not so sure. It sounds like it is not my kind of film.

There are plenty of documentaries and the daily news to give me a dose of the real world.
This is me now. When I was younger, I loved Indie films. I loved depressing film that would just gut me. Now I need happy ending. I need to know that everything is going to be alright. I never understood why my grandma wanted a happy ending. After Covid, I get it. The real world is bad enough. Give me mindless fun. If I want to be upset, I will watch a documentary or pop on the news.

We were looking forward to Indiana Jones- my husband is a huge fan of the movies. But, we both thought it dragged in spots. I actually fell asleep on and off. Then again, I dozed of during Mission Impossible last weekend also. Action movies are not my thing.

Both of these are on my list of "must see in a movie theatre" movies to get the full effect. I checked the movie calendar here last night and both of them are leaving the theatres near me next Wednesday & Thursday. That means I have to squeeze in two action packed movies within a few days.

CheckmarkB.png
Just saw Mission Impossible. So, that one's checked off the list now. I liked it but at times the action dragged on a bit in a couple scenes.

CheckmarkA.png
Indiana Jones is tomorrow night.

Double Feature!

Actually, it turned out to be a triple feature this week.

CheckmarkB.png
We also went to Drake's concert on Sunday at Madison Square Garden.

We might go see Barbie in the theatre instead of waiting for streaming. But, it definitely won't be this week. :lmao:

CheckmarkB.png
Just saw Mission Impossible. So, that one's checked off the list now. I liked it but at times the action dragged on a bit in a couple scenes.

CheckmarkA.png
Indiana Jones is tomorrow night.

Actually, it turned out to be a triple feature this week.

CheckmarkB.png
We also went to Drake's concert on Sunday at Madison Square Garden.

We might go see Barbie in the theatre instead of waiting for streaming. But, it definitely won't be this week. :lmao:
We saw Mission Impossible last night. Loved it, but you are right. Some of those scenes went on too long. Even a good action scene can go too long. It would have been a spectacular 2 hour movie. Still glad we went.

I actually had the same issue with Indy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter