Who else has the Cabela’s Deluxe Camp Kitchen? Tent camping, food storage

momto4girlz

Earning My Ears
We are selling the camper and going back to tent camping/glamping. This means I’ll probably be able to make use of my “deluxe camp kitchen” again. I have been wondering about those hanging zip up pantries. Does anyone actually store food in them? I never did the few times we actually used the kitchen while camping. I’m afraid it would attract animals. Maybe canned goods would be okay?

The hanging zip up pantry looks like a great organizer for anything other than food. But, stored in a tent or vehicle. We were at The Fort a few weeks ago and watched a hilarious "Squirrel Dance Party" taking place on our neighbors picnic table. Obviously these people were backyard BBQ'ers and not campers as the table was covered with cooking utensils, food containers and liquor bottles. One of the funniest things was watching the squirrels roll around paper towel rolls on the ground not to mention their reactions to the caps on the liquor bottles. Those crazy squirrels chewed on, licked, pee'd, pooped and gnawed on every single item on that table. It was amazing to watch them gnaw on corners of the rubbermaid tubs stored under the tables. Bon Appetite!

Wow. Good to know. I’m not sure I’d ever tent camp at Disney. I initially posted this in the camping community sub forum, but it got moved here for more exposure. I’m mainly interested in camping in state parks and hopefully in the Smokies sometime in the next year.

We do. We use storage tubs to hold our food. When the canvas bags are full, they just are not that sturdy to maneuver around. besides squirrels and racoons and (if in the Smokies) Bears would wreck havoc on them.

Sometimes its better the wildlife attack that then your camper. I put the food in the cooler then the tv. Depends on where i am. Cooler gets strapped down in the back of the truck. The garbage also if i cant get it to the dumps before i go to sleep. ( i do throw it in the alumunium tool box) I wouldn't trust it in bear country, but then again , we do leave the stove/ grill outside. Better save then sorry.

We live on the east coast (Florida for 12 years, WV & MD prior.) I would never store food in anything canvas. Not even sure about canned food. The raccoons on the east coast, everywhere we have ever lived, are able to open plastic tubs and coolers, even when they have latches. This are state park raccoons I speak of. At Disney, squirrels are the bigger problem.

While we have always lived, and been avid campers, in black bear country, it's not the bear that have ever gotten into our food. Up until a few years ago, we could still leave beverages in a cooler outside. Then came the night that two raccoons got into a fight over a Pepsi from our cooler. They did puncture it and drink it. I suppose they have learned to recognize soda cans over the generations.

We camp in a pop up now, but have been tent campers for many years. Always had to keep the food and coolers in the vehicle. I'll try to find the photos of the raccoons that got into a fight over our Pepsi. It happened on our camper hitch, directly below where we were sleeping, so woke us up quickly.

VJWo93X.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter