• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Who has been to Montana?

We drove most of it - US2 east to west as far as Glacier, then Going-To-The-Sun, then south through Missoula and the tiny town my uncle lives in and down through Yellowstone into Wyoming. The western part of the state really is a remarkably beautiful place. If it weren't for the winters, I could definitely see myself living there.

We drove most of it - US2 east to west as far as Glacier, then Going-To-The-Sun, then south through Missoula and the tiny town my uncle lives in and down through Yellowstone into Wyoming. The western part of the state really is a remarkably beautiful place. If it weren't for the winters, I could definitely see myself living there.
I know what you mean about the cold, although for some ppl the clinching aspect would be the cold plus the altitude (at least, in Western Montana).

Amazing state, though....truly out of this world...

My son graduated last May and was offered a position in Missoula. We helped him move from SC to MT in June and went back over the holidays. Montana is such a beautiful state! I’ve traveled a good bit but had not been to Montana before his move. It’s now one of my favorite places. Summer is gorgeous and I’ll never go skiing in NC again (just doesn’t compare to MT)! He is absolutely loving it there. He hikes every weekend and is always finding another gorgeous spot to explore. Can’t wait for our next trip in September!

We've stayed twice at a ranch in Montana and had a blast. Once, we went in December and got to hike into the woods to cut down a Christmas tree, which is something we'd never get to do where we live.

Glacier NP is gorgeous, very large. We stayed in three different areas when we visited.

Montana is an amazing state! :)

Uh, not sure why someone would laugh at this.

Anyway.

No, I have not. DH drove through there (Idaho, Wyoming, etc.) about 35 years ago and said it is beautiful. We also have friends with a second home in Missoula

Maybe a bit late for skiing this year, but it's such an out of this world destination, really... :)

It's possible to go skiing - even in summer. I've seen it. I was on Rendevouz Mountain at Jackson Hole going on the tram ride just for sightseeing in June. I saw people coming down with skis. We asked what they did, and they said they went skiing on whatever snow was left and then hiked back to the peak, skied down again, and then back to the tram for the ride down. It was legal (doesn't require a lift ticket) but kind of risky because the snow is patchy and one can quickly run into dirt or off the side of a cliff.

But in Montana it looks like Beartooth is typically open for summer. But only for summer.

I’ve not spent anytime there only driven through on our way to Seattle many years ago.

My husband and his family are from MT, so over the years, I’ve visited a few different cities, due to my in-laws moving for various personal reasons: Yaak, Libby, and Seely Lake.

In the interest of full disclosure, I’m a very prissy city girl born and raised in L.A., so while Montana is not one of my favorite places, I can see it’s appeal. Most of the cities I’ve visited in MT are picturesque and unspoiled. My mother in law is a huge fishing fan and she swears the best fishing is in Libby, with Yaak being the runner up. She and my husband are big fans of Horseshoe Lake in Libby, MT. The water is extremely clear and there are tire swings and the like to use to jump into the water. We used inflatable kayaks as well, the last time I visited. Riding 4 wheelers and dirt bikes through the city is another popular activity during my visits - it’s fun for pretty much all ages. Gold panning and picking huckleberries are also amongst some of my MIL’s favorite things to do in MT. Note that nearly all of my experience in MT has been from the smaller, more rural cities; my MIL currently lives in Kalispell, the biggest city she’s ever lived in, but she absolutely hates it, so I’ve yet to visit her there.

Anyway, my MIL is a huge fan of MT. She’s even tried living in other states to be closer to various family members that have since moved out of MT, but she’s never lasted more than a year - she just ends up missing the cost of living, weather, trees, clean air, and unspoiled environment of MT. She says she feels closer to God in Montana. So she’d agree with you that Montana is an amazing state, OP.

My husband and his family are from MT, so over the years, I’ve visited a few different cities, due to my in-laws moving for various personal reasons: Yaak, Libby, and Seely Lake.

In the interest of full disclosure, I’m a very prissy city girl born and raised in L.A., so while Montana is not one of my favorite places, I can see it’s appeal. Most of the cities I’ve visited in MT are picturesque and unspoiled. My mother in law is a huge fishing fan and she swears the best fishing is in Libby, with Yaak being the runner up. She and my husband are big fans of Horseshoe Lake in Libby, MT. The water is extremely clear and there are tire swings and the like to use to jump into the water. We used inflatable kayaks as well, the last time I visited. Riding 4 wheelers and dirt bikes through the city is another popular activity during my visits - it’s fun for pretty much all ages. Gold panning and picking huckleberries are also amongst some of my MIL’s favorite things to do in MT. Note that nearly all of my experience in MT has been from the smaller, more rural cities; my MIL currently lives in Kalispell, the biggest city she’s ever lived in, but she absolutely hates it, so I’ve yet to visit her there.

Anyway, my MIL is a huge fan of MT. She’s even tried living in other states to be closer to various family members that have since moved out of MT, but she’s never lasted more than a year - she just ends up missing the cost of living, weather, trees, clean air, and unspoiled environment of MT. She says she feels closer to God in Montana. So she’d agree with you that Montana is an amazing state, OP.
Thanks for your family insights!

Visited Montana lots of times; Kalispell is where Albertans border-shop. I've also been over the Going to the Sun road through Glacier, which I regretted because it took so long. The scenery isn't all that much of a "Wow" to us because it's exactly the same as southern Alberta.

Friends have a place in Spanish Peaks. It's gorgeous! Enjoyed horseback riding on the mountain. Although seeing a bear on the other mountain was a bit..uh different. I may not have noticed it but my horse alerted me!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter