Who has been to the Walt Disney Family Museum in San Francisco?

quiltymom

DIS Veteran
We'll be in S.F. for half a day this summer, and I just remembered about the museum. I don't think we'll be able to squeeze it in since we'll be doing the Golden Gate Bridge, Lombard St., cable car ride & the Ghirardelli Chocolate Shop, but I'd hate to be there and not go, especially since we'll be so close.

I also see it's rather pricey for just a visit of an hour or so. I wanted to get some opinions before I do too much planning. It will be me, DD(11), my mom (in a wheelchair) & my sister.

Thanks in advance!

I went a couple months ago.

It is pretty close to the bridge, so you could swing in on the way to/from.

It was kind of interesting, but not really stuff I didn't know. Not allowed to take pictures. Starts with some pictures of his grandparents, home movies, early years, etc. Moves through his time in France WWI. First studio, Oswald, Mickey, the movies, WWII, strike...

There is a model of a fictionalized Disneyland with things that didn't really exist at the same time, like Space Mt there with the flying saucers still there.

Ends on a sad note, as you may guess.... Since it is about Walt's life.

Yeah, a bit expensive. If you only have half a day.. Meh, probably other things to spend an hour doing.

Thanks for your input. It seems like something I'd be interested in, but not for a short visit with family members. Maybe next time...

Tons and tons of reading involved. We were there for 4 hours and that was not long enough. For only an hour, nope, I'd skip it

The Walt Disney Family Museum is not to be missed. The only place I've seen that rivals the amount of Disney history on display in the museum is the Archives on the lot of the Walt Disney Studios in Burbank.

The model referred to in an earlier post is the Disneyland of Walt Disney's Imagination as it features many attractions that Walt knew of and/or approved before his passing.

Just a side note. You receive a $5.00 discount on adult tickets if you are a AAA member. You just have to show the museum your card when you buy your tickets. We are going this summer, and I've been doing a lot of research :).

I just got back from San Francisco and I visited the Museum with my sisters. We really enjoyed it but we are big Disney fans. We spent 3 hours in the museum and then a few minutes in the gift shop. I have two daughters 13 and 16, I don't think that I would pay for them to go as I don't feel they would enjoy it. I wouldn't go unless you have at least a couple hours to dedicate because there is a lot to see.

I've been 3 times (we live about 2 hours away) and we love it, but there is a ton of walking and a lot of reading. We are huge Disney fans and really love all the history, but it's best enjoyed when you have time to really take in the videos and the audio stations and see a movie in the theater. You can't really rush through it in an hour and really get a sense of the place. I would say see it another time.

Definitely do it another time.

It is a beautiful museum, but that's a lot to pay to just spend one hour there.

Like someone else mentioned, there is a lot of reading involved. The museum is not really for kids, though if your 11 year old like to read, she'll probably enjoy it.

As far as the model of Disneyland is concerned, it isn't just a hodgepodge of random Disneyland rides. It is a combination of many of Walt's favourite rides, as well as the rides he had planned for the future. The idea behind it was to make a model of the park that Walt had envisioned. It is very cool. We spent a lot of time looking over that model.

I think you have enough on your plate. IMO you will be lucky to get all you have planned done in such a short period of time.

We live in the Napa Valley, so we are only an hour away from the museum. For us it is a full day adventure. I can't imagine trying to squeeze it into just a few hours. It's a very special place to us.

Next time in SF, make that your priority. You won't regret it.

Leslye

My mom and sister and I were there in the fall and I really, really enjoyed it! It is very well done and worth the price of admission, however, it will take a LONG time to go through it, we were there for almost 4 hours!

Definitely put it on your to do list the next time you have half a day to devote to it because it really is pretty awesome, I really liked looking at the multi-plane (think that was what it was called) camera they have on display there.

I loved seeing the multi-plane camera and all the animation history when I was there last summer, but then I'm an animation geek.

I'm so glad I found this. I was thinking it would be nice to stop by after we check out of our SF hotel, but before our drive to Yosemite. We'll save it for another trip when we can spend a proper amount of time there.

Thanks! :goodvibes

The museum was the main thing I wanted to see when I was in San Fran on business last year. I absolutely loved it, but I only had about two hours from the time I entered until the time I had to leave, and it was not enough time for me. The museum is very well put together. I enjoyed seeing the multiplane camera, the Academy Awards, and other items I had only read about. I look forward to going back one day when I have more time.

My DH and I are going to Seattle by way of DL and San Francisco next February. We have planned an entire day for the Museum. Is that too long of time? We will both have ECVs.

You could easily spend well over 4 hours there I would think...

It's nearby Crissy field so you could always go out for a "walk" along the marina, good views of the bridge (if it's not too foggy). There is a nice flat walking/bike path.

Kim

We just visited today for the first time. I agree with previous posters that one hour wouldn't do it justice. It took us 3 hours and we didn't read everything, but felt like we covered it pretty well. For real Disneyphiles it's a great place. You really get a feeling for the type of man Walt was.

I agree with everyone. You really need to commit a decent chunk of time to the museum.
They have lots of movie screenings and events for adults and children. They even have memberships you can purchase to include these events.
Mom and I are attenting a Fantasia events this month I think and a Snow White event i November.
I love this place, and I am so happy its in such a beautiful and historic area. Also easily accessable for most people that live in the bay area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter