Who has downsized from a minivan and still has kids?

I never wanted to drive a minivan. I survived driving a VW Jetta, but I only have one daughter, and she played the flute. She attended a performing arts school, and we had no problems transporting wardrobe and makeup in the roomy trunk. The VW that she rode around in from the time she was 4 became her first vehicle at 16. DH bought a Ford Edge for more room, which feels like you are driving an ocean liner. I bought a Ford Fiesta for myself. When the VW was on it’s last legs, DD got the Fiesta, and I bought a Ford Escape. I really need 4-wheel drive in the northeast. I really love driving my Escape. I can’t imagine driving anything else.

I miss my VW Jetta! I had a 1989 Jetta that we replaced with a minivan shortly after #3 was born in 1999. I like my Odyssey and it's much more practical for our purposes now, but I did love that Jetta!

You think you can't do the same with a SUV? LOL

My husband's SUV can't fit sheets of plywood. he borrows the van if he needs to haul stuff. I'm sure one of those behemoth Expeditions or whatever can haul a lot of stuff, but they also have poor gas mileage. In any event, I don't care for SUVs, so I won't get one. DH even regrets getting his, it's too small to haul lots of stuff, and a bigger one would have sucked gas for his commute (90 minutes round-trip). But hey--if you like them, and they work for you, more power to you.

My husband's SUV can't fit sheets of plywood. he borrows the van if he needs to haul stuff. I'm sure one of those behemoth Expeditions or whatever can haul a lot of stuff, but they also have poor gas mileage. In any event, I don't care for SUVs, so I won't get one. DH even regrets getting his, it's too small to haul lots of stuff, and a bigger one would have sucked gas for his commute (90 minutes round-trip). But hey--if you like them, and they work for you, more power to you.
I have a Traverse (not a behemoth by any means LOL) and have no issues hauling stuff in it. We've hauled plywood, a couple grills, a couch, and moved kid to and from college, as well as in and out of apartments with no problems. Your particular SUV may not have the capacity to do that, but don't think every SUV is like yours.

You think you can't do the same with a SUV? LOL
No, when comparing size for size, you can't. SUVs are far less space efficient, for passengers and cargo, than a minivan. Even the Traverse, which is a rather large SUV, can't carry as much as a minivan.

Just a quick update. Last week, DH said we should get rid of the Odyssey because we didn’t really need it anymore. We just purchased a 2019 Honda Pilot elite. Wow, is that suv nice. For anyone considering going from a minivan to an suv, the Pilot is basically the Odyssey with a more stylish exterior. It feels exactly the same on the inside :)

Congrats! They should feel similar, because the Odyssey and Pilot (and Ridgeline) share a platform.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter