• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Who has had the CVS procedure?

:grouphug: Hugs to all of you. Although I cannot truly say that I understand exactly what you all are/have been going through, I just want to say that my prayers are with you all and the health of your children. :hug:

When my aunt gave birth to my cousin, her Down's was a surprise. Not only was my aunt young and unmarried, she was also completely uneducated about Down's syndrome. Not only was she learning how to be a mother, she was also learning about what her daughter having Down's syndrome actually entails. She always says, "If I had only known, I could have been more prepared for her. That's the least she (my cousin) deserved."

My aunt is now one of the strongest women I know, and she is also now a very outspoken advocate for the education of at-risk mothers about the possibility of chromosomal defects in their babies (in addition to Down's).

I do know that just being pregnant can cause such a time of emotional chaos. Sometimes it is hard to think completely rational while your body is developing your child within you. Our instincts may be strong (and even often accurate), but to advise against following a medical professional's suggestions -- well...that's just absurd. :sad2: 2nd and even 3rd -or more- opinions are a possibility, but they are trained to know what is most likely in our best interest - as well as our baby's. :hug:

I've also had both CVS and Amnio. My CVS was done abdominally since the baby was sitting very low near my cervix and it would have been risky to do it the normal way. I had a local anesthetic before the CVS and that made things easier for me. I didn't have any anesthetic before my amnio and I wish I could say it was pain free, but it was kinda ouchy for me. Both had a bit of cramping but even though my son had a rare fatal genetic condition, he survived both tests. The waiting for the results is far worse than the test itself.

I want to tell you that the knowledge you can gain about what your baby might have is very valuable. I couldn't agree more with a previous poster who said had she known her son was sick she would have been at the right hospital to care of him and had the perinatal team ready. IMO knowledge is power.

I will be thinking of you and praying all goes well for you and your little one :hug:

I had an amnio in 1993 with my first. I'd had two miscarriages and was pregnant with my first good pregnancy at the age of 42. I wanted to make sure we were prepared for whatever happened because after losing two, we were going to make this one work. With the high risk pregnancy, my physician thought it might make sense. My baby had no genetic defects and was perfect in every way when he was born.

It was done at about 10-12 weeks.

I had an amnio. I have a great aunt and a brother with down syndrome. It was unknown whether or not it was hereditary. The test came back perfectly normal. At 28 weeks, I delivered a stillborn but, perfect little girl.

wow...I am so sorry....that would have to be the hardest...much harder than actually miscarrying or having a dnc..

All the advice is great...and I'm not downing anyone for the opinion they give me! The more info I have, the better off I am. The doctor has only 'recommended' the procedures...she has not forced or heavily pushed for them.. she knows its my choice, and it is, regardless.
As I stated before, I used to be against amnios and such due to the risk (although low) factors... but, now... faced with this... I feel I 'need' to know, to prepare myself, and my other children. And... something I hadn't thought of, but to be at the right hospital could be crucial as well. They said a congenital (hole in heart) heart defect could also be a possibility.

I will update everyone as soon as I know more... Basically... although I will get a tad more info today at the dr...I wont make my final, yet fast, decision until I get my bloodwork back. If it's normal (which she said is unlikely), I will wait and pass on the CVS... I will monitor thru ultrasound, and if it still looks not good, I'll opt for the amnio at 15-16 weeks. If the bloodwork is abnormal, I will more than likely get the CVS on Wed....

I wish you all the best with what you are going through and with whatever decision you make.

Please just be careful with statements like this:
wow...I am so sorry....that would have to be the hardest...much harder than actually miscarrying or having a dnc..

A miscarriage is defined as a pregnancy loss of less than 20 weeks. Losing a baby at 19 weeks, 6 days is not any easier than losing one a few weeks later, or at birth or shortly afterwards. Saying that it is can be very hurtful to people who have "only" lost a baby earlier on. Any loss of a child, at any stage, is tragic and awful for the parents.

Anyhow, not trying to turn this into a debate, just a personal peeve lately. I wish you all the best with your dr's appointment and any testing and results you may have to deal with.

I wish you all the best with what you are going through and with whatever decision you make.

Please just be careful with statements like this:

A miscarriage is defined as a pregnancy loss of less than 20 weeks. Losing a baby at 19 weeks, 6 days is not any easier than losing one a few weeks later, or at birth or shortly afterwards. Saying that it is can be very hurtful to people who have "only" lost a baby earlier on. Any loss of a child, at any stage, is tragic and awful for the parents.

Anyhow, not trying to turn this into a debate, just a personal peeve lately. I wish you all the best with your dr's appointment and any testing and results you may have to deal with.

You are right...I apologize. I miscarried back in 99 and it was very rough for me... so, maybe for me, as everyone is different, it would be harder for me as time progressed and birth was given... but everyone is different.

That aside, I have my CVS scheduled for Wednesday morning...

Any loss of a child, at any stage, is tragic and awful for the parents.

I understand your feelings and I agree completely. My brother and his wife lost a baby at 11wks. I have no doubts that it was as heartbreaking for them as it was for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter