• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Who here has never watched Harry Potter, never read one of the books, or knows nothing about the Harry Potter universe?

This is a poorly phrased question if you wanted a polling of the general public. I mean, if they haven't read, seen or know anything about Harry Potter, they aren't going to know what "HP" stands for to even bother clicking.

I'm a casual Potter fan and even I thought HP (as in Computers) before I figured you meant Harry Potter. Or maybe even HP sauce. LOL

This is a poorly phrased question if you wanted a polling of the general public. I mean, if they haven't read, seen or know anything about Harry Potter, they aren't going to know what "HP" stands for to even bother clicking.

I'm a casual Potter fan and even I thought HP (as in Computers) before I figured you meant Harry Potter. Or maybe even HP sauce. LOL
Fixed it. :thumbsup2

I didn't see any of the Harry Potter movies until 2020. During Covid, I figured that was a good opportunity to check that off my list of things I had never seen but probably should. I knocked them out in a week or so. (I never have read the books).

I said the next time we have a pandemic and subject to lockdowns, I will watch Lord of the Rings. I never had any real interest in it, but seems like I am the only one who hasn't seen those movies.

:rolleyes1 Easy enough - just change the channel or simply pay no attention. I've never read any of the books or seen any of the movies and the only knowledge I have of anything related is completely peripheral. I must admit though, my esteem for JK Rowling has grown lately in response to her recent, totally ridiculous "cancelling", so I may look into her work a some point in the future.

Do tell? I'm not a huge mystery lover (I actually much prefer fantasy) but I'd like to check them out.

JK Rowling writes under the name Robert Galbraith. The series is about a detective, Cormoran Strike, former military. They are thick books, very detailed and very good! The 6th book just came out recently, I'm about halfway through. Each story is different, but the main characters develop throughout, so for that reason I would recommend reading them in order.

I will watch Lord of the Rings. I never had any real interest in it, but seems like I am the only one who hasn't seen those movies.
Grew up on that as well for the movies although I do own the book set I tried reading the first one when I was younger and got lost too early on.

I remember going to the theater with my best friend for one of them (can't remember which one). That said The Hobbit movies are a bit like Fantastic Beasts, they don't quite capture The Lord of the Rings essence as well although I believe The Hobbit films were better received than Fantastic Beasts.

Just an fyi, adults may enjoy the FB series more because it deals with more adult things from the get go. I will say this, 90 percent of adults that have never seen a single movie or read the books that I have talked to personally and gave it chance seemed to enjoy them even if they were not into magic. If you think you are to old for the series, the truth is every age become a fan of HP. I would say that if you know nothing on the series but may want to give it a chance, I would recommend two things. First watch movies 1-3. The first two are childish but the third is when it becomes dark and number becomes really adult like. 5-8 is not meant for kids. It’s not all fantasy and some things take place in our world (watch the first one to understand the term muggle). The books have much more in them than the movies but the movies do the books justice. Secondly, if you go to the website:

https://my.wizardingworld.com/login

You can be sorted, learn your wand type (which can help before you go to the WWHP in FL or CA), and learn your patronus (but do the patronus test after you watch movie 3). It won’t spoil much if you do the three tests before you watch the first movie but it might confuse you until you do.

If you are on the fence about watching them in the future, here is the trailer for movie one:

FB Series? Is there a part of the HP universe I have somehow missed? I didn't think that was possible.

I've only read the first book actually in school but my husband has all the books and read them. Even as an avid reader at this point I doubt I'll ever read the whole series, the movies are good for me for Harry Potter. My husband fills me in every now and then with "in the books..."

We grew up on the movies and have continued with watching Fantastic Beasts although that franchise has never been able to get the vibe the same as Harry Potter. I could watch the Harry Potter movies all the time, Goblet of Fire being one of my favorite.

While I have not been to Universal Hollywood for the Wizarding World there I have been multiple times to Orlando and it's amazing all the details, the sounds, the music, etc. Super excited for what they do with Epic Universe especially with the Ministry of Magic.
bahahaha! This is every coversation I've ever had with someone who's only seen the movies. My kids are working on the books now, but they are only 8 &11 so it's slow going. They will ask me all of these questions or say something and I'm like "In the book it doesn't happen like that" "In the book it's not Cho Chang that snitched on Dumbledores army!!!!!" That one gets me everytime.

I was 22 when I read the 1st book, about 4 years after it was released. I read the next couple that had already been released. After that, I got them all as soon as they came out and saw all the movies as they were released. The last movie came out the week before I had my oldest and I saw it the night before he was born. It was our last childless date lol. I do not care for the Fantastic Beasts movies as much.

To be fair, that Cho Chang fact really does bother HP fans because it affects his relationship with the character for the rest of the series in the books. There was no reason whatsoever for the movies to get that wrong.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter