Who is this Orange Bird guy?

OrlandoMike

<font color=red>all I can say is beer hurts when i
For those of you who may not know, or have been wondering what the Orange Bird is, and his connection to the gay community.....come sit next to the "cranky old man"....I wanna tell you a story.

Back when WDW opened, they had a sponsorship agreement with the Florida Citrus Growers, and in return, they agreed to create a character for them called Orange Bird. Anita Bryant was also under contract to promote Florida Citrus and she sang and appeared in a few promotional videos with Orange Bird. Anita started her anti-gay campaign and Disney decided to pull the Orange bird from the parks. The poor guy got the boot because of Anita!

He has had some fans over the years, and he has recently been welcomed back to the new Sunshine Tree, just like the song says! So it's kind of like a welcome home to a guy who got the boot for all the wrong reasons!

Ironically enough, the Orange Bird Mickey ears are rumored to go on sale on the first Saturday in June! :woohoo:

Here's a great video about the return...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1cV2q9mgtI

FloridaOrangeBird2.jpg

Mike thanks for posting the video.

I can't believe I forgot about Orange Bird at Walt Disney World in the 70's.
(I actually remember going after the Welch's Grape Juices more, I drank the dark grape, the red grape, the white grape, they were SO good on a hot day).

Boy this brings back memories of Anita and the boycott.

I'm glad that orange bird gets to make a return, he was cute, and was not part of the controversy.

HBO is planning to do a movie about Anita, and even interviewed her on her beliefs today, The script is written by a gay man, and he wants to be truthful about her point of view then and now. It may get released by the end of 2013.

The orange bird Mickey Hats are very cute, would I get booed for wearing one on Gay Days 2012, with a Rainbow Mickey ICON pin clipped on it ?

I wonder what Pete, Walter, John and Kevin have to say on the return of Orange Bird ? (Not dissing them, they are great guys, love to hear their own opinions on the podcast).

Phil

Orange Bird is adorable. I look forward to seeing the new STT next week and btw Jason Grandt is HOT!!!

OMG I was JUST telling my partner about the Orange Bird, that he was my favorite costumed character when I visited as a child! I'm even more stoked for our trip in September now! I don't care if I'm 40 years old, this girl is GOING to get an Orange Bird Sippy again!

The orange bird Mickey Hats are very cute, would I get booed for wearing one on Gay Days 2012, with a Rainbow Mickey ICON pin clipped on it ?

Phil

I have a feeling the Orange Bird ears are going to be the "in" thing to wear this year!

I can't wait to try a Citrus Swirl next trip. I really hope they're considering rebuilding the orange tree at the Terrace.

Some nice merch would be welcome, too... Classic piece figurine? Big Fig? :lmao:

I was there earlier this month and didn't get to stop by. Durn-ed in laws expecting a tour guide. Missed out on a Dole whip and sweet pretzel from the Launching Pad too.:worried:

Oh well. Always next time.

Citrus swirls are every bit as good as I'd remembered! Welcome back, Orange Bird.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter