• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Who Needs Self Control At Disney??? - A Slightly Solo Feb 2016 Trip Report COMPLETED 4/24

Your view from your room at the Poly certainly beat ours! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay there. I'm glad you enjoyed CG too. We didn't dislike it but I don't think we'll be returning anytime soon. And while we didn't watch Wishes from our room at the Poly it was pretty magical watching from high up at CG :)

Your view from your room at the Poly certainly beat ours! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay there. I'm glad you enjoyed CG too. We didn't dislike it but I don't think we'll be returning anytime soon. And while we didn't watch Wishes from our room at the Poly it was pretty magical watching from high up at CG :)
You certainly seemed to have an interesting experience at CG! It's too bad Disney can't seem to keep consistently good food and service at it's signatures. Ohana also seems to suffer from the same inconsistency as you will see in my next post. I bet the fireworks are awesome from CG!

The dessert selection was a little disappointing. The chocolate mousse and the key lime tart where ok but they were pretty much the exact same dessert I had gotten at 1900 Park Fare and were nothing special. The chocolate brownie/cake was the same that can be found in plenty of quick service places around WDW.

Bummer on the Key Lime tart. Years ago when EPCOT first opened you could buy a slice of key lime pie at the Farmer's Market in The Land. My Dad made sure we made a stop there every visit to get a slice. One year, poof.....it was gone. He was so depressed. My Mom ended up writing a letter to Disney, and they sent her the recipe. Hand typed on Disney letter head!

Bummer on the Key Lime tart. Years ago when EPCOT first opened you could buy a slice of key lime pie at the Farmer's Market in The Land. My Dad made sure we made a stop there every visit to get a slice. One year, poof.....it was gone. He was so depressed. My Mom ended up writing a letter to Disney, and they sent her the recipe. Hand typed on Disney letter head!
I love a good slice of key lime pie! Your poor father, losing his pie, but that is SO COOL that Disney sent you the recipe!!!

I'm leaving in two weeks for my solo trip.....I don't anticipate so many meet and greets and maybe only one or two sit down meals, but your report has me itching to get on that plane ASAP! Love the report.

I'm leaving in two weeks for my solo trip.....I don't anticipate so many meet and greets and maybe only one or two sit down meals, but your report has me itching to get on that plane ASAP! Love the report.
I am very jealous that you're off to the world in only two weeks! Wishing you a fantastic trip! Is this your first solo trip? I found that character meets and sit down meals made me feel a little less alone since I had a waiter or a character or other CM who had to talk to me :rotfl2:unlike waiting in line for an attraction, which really surprised me as I thought dining alone and character interactions alone would be more awkward.

Day 5 - Part 1: Poly Breakfast

After sleeping in a little we woke up to enjoy our beautiful balcony.

img_6358.jpg
img_6365.jpg
img_6372.jpg

Even though we had breakfast plans I had to check out the concierge breakfast first.

img_6357.jpg
The offerings were similar to those of the Grand Californian
NO POG JUICE IS OFFERED AT BREAKFAST
I had told my mom about how great my breakfast was at Ohana so we had made a breakfast reservation at 9:50 the day before. We made our way over to the Great Ceremonial House. It was awesome being able to walk to Ohana and not have to take a bus followed by a boat or the monorail. We checked in 20 minutes early and were seated about 5 minutes before our reservation time. We got a great table right next to the window overlooking the Volcano pool, right next to the table where I sat earlier this trip.
img_6382.jpg

Unfortunately thats were the similarities between this breakfast and my previous one stop. Either I did something to upset the waitress or she was having a bad day because all we got from her was attitude. She was notably friendlier to the tables around us, it was really weird. I had made note of my vegetarian diet on the reservation and mentioned it to the seater and then told our waitress the first chance I got. She responded that the order had already been put in but I can just eat off of the meat plate. I did not want my eggs and waffles touching meat so I kindly asked for a separate order.

img_6384.jpg
No I will not eat my waffle on top of bacon and my eggs between bacon and sausage.
Yes I know I am picky.

I understand that generally every table gets the same food but I had made it noted, told staff, and with the price of $35 for breakfast I don’t think my request was to unreasonable. I will attempt to sum up the rest of the meal without rambling on and complaining for too long. I did not get a single POG refill despite asking twice. We got our fruit platter only after asking for it when the rest of our food came. After asking for a vegetarian platter we got it but the potatoes were so over salted I could not eat them and the rest of the food was cold. After we were done eating we waited 20 minutes for the characters to finally get to us. By that point we were over this meal.
img_6386.jpg
img_6389.jpg
img_6391.jpg

Mickey was the best character of the meal, the others rushed past us after a quick picture
(continued in next post)

continued...
img_6395.jpg
img_6399.jpg
img_6404.jpg
img_6406.jpg

I think Lilo should learn some new poses
I was kinda in shock of how bad it was, especially compared to how good my meal was just a couple days ago. I know understand all of the complaints I have read about Ohana compared to all the rave reviews. For the price, I really hope Disney improves the consistency of this restaurant.

Last edited:
Day 5 - Part 2: They let us do what???

Following our disappointing breakfast we got another disappointing news. We had not been approved for late check out so we booked it back to the room to change and grab our bags. I sat on our lovely balcony one more time before making my way down to the pool. The hot tub was drained and being worked on by maintenance people. I was glad we had enjoyed the hot tub the day before.

rsz_img_7146.jpg
While I was lounging by the pool my mom was up to something :boat:. She wanted to do something special for our first poly stay :sail:. She came up to me and told me to grab my stuff, we were renting a boat!

rsz_screen_shot_2016-04-17_at_84545_am.png
The original plan was to get one of the 2 seater boats but the CM talked us out of it, saying they would go super slow and be no fun with the two of us in one boat.

img_6525.jpg
We did see some people out driving these and they looked like they were having a lot of fun.
I think the CM was just trying to get us to spend more money.

We decided to go big or go home and somehow ended up taking this monster of a boat around the Seven Seas Lagoon.
img_6524.jpg

After grabbing some lifejackets and a 30 second boat driving lesson we were off. Our instructions included “Don’t go fast, stay out of the way of the ferries, they will crush you”, “Remember there are no brakes”, “if you get stranded flag down a CM on a boat” and “Don’t text and drive”. Having never driven a boat before I was slightly freaking out. I was driving first and had the responsibility of backing up and exiting the dock. After calling out to the CM who was watching and laughing at me freaking out, if he was sure we should be taking this boat, (he said we would be fine) we were on our way! We avoided running into the TTC ferry and made our way over towards the Contemporary and on towards Fort Wilderness. We then circled back to MK, the GF and back to the Poly. We spent about 45 minutes on the water and after I quickly got comfortable driving, it was a blast! The weather was perfect and it was such a nice, relaxing treat to end this trip.
I love all of these pictures and couldn't decide which ones to use so here are a ton of pictures of us driving our
pontoon.
img_6417.jpg
I am having fun but still not too sure about this boat driving thing.

img_6420.jpg
I can't believe they are letting me drive this around all of the official transportation boats!

img_6424.jpg

Hello Grand Floridian!

img_6450.jpg

img_6466.jpg The Contemporary looking very inviting from the water
(continued in next post)

continued...

So close yet so far from my castle! I love these unique MK pictures.

img_6469.jpg

img_6484.jpg
Monorail, castle, and train station... score!

img_6486.jpg
img_6488.jpg
img_6506.jpg
And we made it back!
After about 45 minutes on the water and about $70 later we were on land again. Overall this was a great experience and would be really fun to take a large group or family out on a private tour of Seven Seas lagoon. The seats were also super comfy and I would have gladly taken a nap on the boat if I wasn't so excited about driving it and taking in the sights.

UP NEXT: Who knew Disney vacations could be relaxing???

I don't think you were being picky at all, especially when you noted it on the reservation and told them right away as well.

I'm so sorry this wasn't a great meal- from the service, to the food, to the character interaction :( I'm sure it was dissapointing.

What a fun surprise from your mom! That is quite a big boat, I would be so scared to just go out there and drive it! I love all your pictures, sounds like such a blast!

I have a couple friends who are vegetarians and there is no way they'd eat their food if it had been touching meat or even on the same plate, so no you weren't being picky! I'm sorry your meal there wasn't fun, especially since you had such a good experience by yourself and talked it up to your mom. I hate when that happens :headache:

That pontoon boat looks SO fun!!! I've thought about taking out a boat on a couple of our trips but never done it. Actually I've thought about getting 2 of the 2-seaters since Ricky's old enough to drive one lol. I figure he can go drive Steve and I'll stay safe by driving Chris and I around :rotfl: But the pontoon looks awesome! Was 45 mins. the max time for $70 do you know? I'm sure I can look it up.......just being lazy right now!

I don't think you were being picky at all, especially when you noted it on the reservation and told them right away as well.

I'm so sorry this wasn't a great meal- from the service, to the food, to the character interaction :( I'm sure it was disappointing.
Thanks for making me feel better about being picky! It really was a disappointing meal but luckily the rest of the day made up for it!

What a fun surprise from your mom! That is quite a big boat, I would be so scared to just go out there and drive it! I love all your pictures, sounds like such a blast!
I really was freaking out and still feel like it is a huge liability for Disney to allow me to drive a boat around Seven Seas Lagoon, but it was SO MUCH FUN! :cool1:

I have a couple friends who are vegetarians and there is no way they'd eat their food if it had been touching meat or even on the same plate, so no you weren't being picky! I'm sorry your meal there wasn't fun, especially since you had such a good experience by yourself and talked it up to your mom. I hate when that happens :headache:
Thank you for supporting my complaints, I can't stand feeling like a diva but it really was a bad experience!

That pontoon boat looks SO fun!!! I've thought about taking out a boat on a couple of our trips but never done it. Actually I've thought about getting 2 of the 2-seaters since Ricky's old enough to drive one lol. I figure he can go drive Steve and I'll stay safe by driving Chris and I around :rotfl: But the pontoon looks awesome! Was 45 mins. the max time for $70 do you know? I'm sure I can look it up.......just being lazy right now!
Bahaha you are so brave letting Ricky drive one of those things :rotfl2: I would be scared of getting squished by one of the big ferry boats in the two seaters. We did see several teenagers having a blast driving around in the two seaters. I like your plan of driving around Chris and letting your other boys watch out for themselves :thumbsup2
I am actually not sure if there was a max time, I do know that they were very nice with their charging. The prices are listed per 1/2 hour but we were out for about 50 minutes and only got charged for 45 minutes. They said they don't want people racing to get back on time so they will charge you in smaller increments than an hour or 1/2 hour.

Day 5 - Part 3: Playing the waiting game

Following our boat ride we had about an hour and a half before my mom had to catch the unmagical express back to the airport. My mom disappeared again while I lounged by the pool, debating if I wanted to swim or not.

img_6508.jpg
img_6509.jpg

This was the closest I got to getting in. The water was warm but I didn't want to get my hair wet since I wouldn't have a chance to shower until later that night.
Soon enough my mom returned with these beautiful desserts.
img_6511.jpg

You can't stay at the Poly without enjoying some
dole whip! We enjoyed the sun and our dole whips by the pool and then took a quick stroll along the beach before it was time to send my mom on her way.

img_6514.jpg
Enjoying the soft Poly sand

img_6518.jpg
I love the lush island feel to the front area of the Poly
I walked my mom to the DME pickup location and then strolled back over to the club lounge. I had about two hours to kill before my magical express came to yank me back to reality and away from Disney.
img_6528.jpg
img_6527.jpg

I needed to get some homework done but instead found myself making use out of my recent souvenir purchase. I found these learn to draw books in the mini food shop on the top floor of the Poly.

rsz_img_7155.jpg
Learn to draw books and sketching pad I bought at the Poly gift shops.
They had several different ones to choose from. After having so much fun taking the animation academy classes at California Adventure in January I was excited to continue my Disney drawing skills. Some turned out good, others not so good. I find the pixar characters are a little easier than the princesses because drawing non creepy, realistic faces is hard. Overall I thought this was a great, entertaining purchase.

After some time drawing, enjoying the view from the lounge, and drinking as much POG juice as possible it was time to leave. I sadily made my way over to the DME pickup area. To make matters worse, I didn’t even get a Disney bus, I got a Mears one instead. After a stop at the GF our bus was completely full and we were on the way to the airport. The check in line waiting for me was a solid 30 minutes. After finally getting my boarding pass I came to security to find this mess.

img_6530.jpg
Is this a security line or an angry mob?
It took me 45 minutes to get through the security line, mainly due to a ton of merges in lines that people couldn’t figure out. Eventually I made it to my gate and took off on a bumpy flight home. Leaving WDW is sad to begin with but the longer than normal waits and the extremely turbulent flight did not make me feel any better. However, I do have some really exciting Disney news coming up in my final trip recap next!

UP NEXT: Final thoughts

Final Thoughts:

Overall this was an amazing trip full of so many first time experiences. Here are some of my personal opinions on this trip:

1. Crowds were a lot heavier than I was expecting for late February, there really are no slow times right now?

2. Going solo was really a new experience and gave me a different outlook on the parks. Being lucky enough to go to the World twice in one year as well as 2 Disneyland trips in the same year finally allowed me to slow down and do some of the things I wouldn’t normally do such as wait 30 minutes for a character or ride the Peoplemover. I wouldn’t want to take every trip solo but I would not hesitate to go alone again.I felt a lot of the character interactions were better because I was solo.

3. Don’t go to Universal on the afternoon of a free concert night, you may regret it.

4. Diagon Alley is just as impressive the third time seeing it. I don’t think I will ever grow tired of visiting the Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

5. Whether you are staying at a value resort or club level TPV deluxe resort you will have a magical time. I am guessing a lot of us here agonize over our resort decisions, I know I do, but I really had a magical time at both resorts.

6. If someone tries recommending you go to Al Capone’s dinner show, RUN AWAY and stay in the magical Disney bubble.

7. Getting fastpass reservations and ADRs for 1 is a lot easier than for a larger group but it was pretty easy to get all the ADRS and fastpasses that I wanted, even with only booking a few weeks out and then changing around my plans.

8. 3 hotels in 5 nights, are you crazy? Yes I am crazy, yes it was worth it to make this trip work.

9. I should have squeezed in another serving of Ohana bread pudding, oh how I miss you so much right now!

10. I still can't believe Disney allowed me to drive a boat around Seven Seas lagoon! Are they crazy???

UP NEXT: One last surprise!

I am going back home!

I am going back to WDW! And not just on vacation, this time Disney will be paying me!

img_6661.jpg
Making use out of my relatively new Disney drawing skills, because for some reason Disney thinks I am the artistic photographer type :rotfl2: This was my attempt at surprising my mom as she looked through the Disney sketchbook she paid for.
I will be doing the Disney College Program this fall. Starting August 8 – January. I am beyong thrilled to be working at WDW as a member of the Photopass team. I cannot wait to help captures memories for Disney guests. I will be spending 5 months learning how to run on no sleep while attempting to be the best Disney photographer I can be, bringing magic to guests, and spending all of my extra waking moments in the parks.

img_7166.jpg

I would love to meet up with some of you lovely Dis addicts who will be there this fall!

I will also be starting a PTR soon for my pre DCP WDW trip if anyone wants to follow along. I will post a link here soon.

Big thanks to everyone who has followed along through out this trip report. To everyone who has read this from the start and to those just jumping in, thank you for taking your time to follow along on my journey! :disrocks:

The rest of your time at the Poly sounds so nice! It was great that you were able to relax in the Club Lounge before your flight.

Ugh, security at MCO is always a nightmare! Those merges are the worst.

This sounds like it was a fabulous trip. I really enjoyed reading it :)

YAY DCP! And as a PP photgrapher! Congrats!! Look forward to your PTR!

Congrats on the DCP! Photopass was on my list of number 1 jobs lol. I got accepted for Merch and had to turn it down though. Can't wait to follow along on your magical journey.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter