Who or what do you miss from your youth?

Long summer holidays. Video shops. Going to the library on a Saturday morning to take out Babysitters Club books. Going to the Pleasure Beach when my mum and dad took us to Blackpool every year.

I also sometimes miss the time before everyone had a mobile phone.

Playing hide and seek in my neighborhood after dark, with no fear of any danger or angry neighbors.
Spending a weekend night with my best friend.
Going to drag races with my daddy.

I miss Americana.

I didn't live "in town," as we lived on a farm, but my grandparents and friends did.

Riding bikes all over town. Games of football, wiffle ball, or whatever on a whim. Playing war in the woods, and only coming home for dinner when called. Parents never really having to worry about the kids, because everyone had eyes on them. The town square with real stores on it... toy store, hardware, grocery, drug store with legit soda fountain, deli, etc... Stores being closed on Sundays. People you KNEW owned the stores and worked there. I miss all that.

My dog Misty
Canning fruits and vegetables with my mom
Penny candy
Ting soda
Neighborhood 'kick the can' games
Picture pages with Bill Cosby
Long, beautiful braids in my hair
My Kindergarten teacher, she was so kind
Not having a care in the world...

This list could go on and on and on and on and on

The few that come to mind as I make this post are:
Flipping between the network stations on a Saturday morning finding my favorite cartoons. Later on that day, watching the "Drive-In Movie" and it have a kung-fu movie on most of the time. (New York. Channel 5. WNEW. Early to mid 80s). Then to the evening some nights to watch WWF Saturday Night's Main Event.
I also miss going to a mall and shopping in multiple stores of worth, back when Sears was a place to be. I also somehow miss holiday parties I used to have with close and distant family.

To be fair, listening to most synthwave music does bring some of this back to me.

I miss having lots of friends. IN my teens and my 20's I had lots and lots of circle of friends and communicated with them every day. Now, I am in my 50's, I don't...I'd like to but it seems like most everyone is busy or not interesting in chatting. Why is that?

Sleepovers with my BFF
Summer vacations to my grandparents farms
Riding bikes with my friends around the neighborhood

I feel like my life just keeps getting better all the time, and I don't really look back too wistfully to my youth. But I do miss sitting out on the roof outside my best friend's window with her on a summer night, listening to music on her cheap cassette player, talking, watching the cars go by, and laughing, laughing, laughing. The old idiom that we "didn't have a care in the world" didn't hold true; I remember having plenty of "cares," but at those times our lives seemed to stretch out before us with infinite possibility, as unblemished and full of promise as those long summer nights.

I miss my parents and grandparents, and the feeling of being safe and secure, yet free at the same time. I miss family vacations and family reunions. I miss the feeling that life was wide open and anything was possible. Knowing at this point in my life that the things I dreamed about and hoped for didn’t happen, I miss that innocence of optimism.

Good New Music, Friends, Sports, Movies, Concerts, Some Things I shouldn't really mention,
but I still have golf so that makes things almost okay.

Life before cell phones. They’re great to have so you don’t miss a call but people have become less social and fun because they’d rather play Candy Crush.

I miss my parents and grandparents, and the feeling of being safe and secure, yet free at the same time. I miss family vacations and family reunions. I miss the feeling that life was wide open and anything was possible. Knowing at this point in my life that the things I dreamed about and hoped for didn’t happen, I miss that innocence of optimism.
:flower3: This - totally this. Life is good and there are so many blessings but at this point, there's no denying that more is behind me than in front.

It would be grandparents for sure. Even though my dad's parents both died by the time I was 7, they packed in a lifetime of memories for me. I was always very busy when I was there. They had great toys, food, fishing, playing cards, built forts outside and blanket forts inside and lots of tinkering in the garage and workshop. They had a mid-century home with a pink bathroom and a lot of cool stuff. I still have several things that belong to them like dishes, furniture and knick-knacks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter