Who Wants To Be A Millionaire-PLAY IT!

WEDWDW

DIS Veteran
WOW-I was watching some vintage WWTBAM shows today and,in one of them,Regis announced the Who Wants To Be A Millionaire-Play It! attraction coming to DISNEY-MGM Studios :) and he had all of the Hosts there with him.

Brought back a FLOOD of memories!

It was probably my favorite thing ever at WDW-we would go to EVERY show some days!

Did you ever make it to the Hot Seat and ,if so,how far did you go?:)

Did you ever make it to the Hot Seat and ,if so,how far did you go?:)
Yep. Thanks to disboards.com. I had read on here that the only way to get in the hot seat was to randomly push the buttons as fast as you could before even reading the question and just hope you happen to put the answers in the correct order and that is what I did.

As for how I did in the Hot Seat? Horrible. I struggled to get to the first level where you win the hat and pins but I at least got that.

I know there were people here on dis who won the cruise. That is so awesome!!

Yes!! We spent most of a day at the Studios going to this, probably 4 shows. I made it to the hot seat first and I think I got to about the 8th question ( if I remember there's 15 ) and gave up. I didn't know the answer and said I wanted to give someone else a chance. My wife made it later in the day. She got further than I did but gave a wrong answer and got bumped down to a lower level.
We each got a hat, a lanyard and pins equal to the level we reached.
Thinking back about this I HAD to dig out our souvenirs!20240126_132850.jpg

Made it to the hot seat twice, lost on the 2nd to last question the second time. (Did not randomly push buttons to get there!) Had a couple of shirts and hats and a lot of pins. Got rid of some. DD made it to the hot seat once during the same show as me, she was pretty young (14?) and didn't get too far.

Thinking more about it, memories are coming back. The question I missed (to almost get to the end) was about regions of Italy. I had the 50-50 help thing and still guessed wrong!

Still have one of the shirts, looks like it was for 32,000 points.

Screenshot 2024-01-26 at 1.48.25 PM.png

Last edited:

It was a fun attraction even tho we were never picked. Our middle son was in the Top 10 or whatever at one point and bragged about that fact all the rest of our trip that year! :teeth:

Yes, DH was in the hot seat. He made it to the 32,000 question that would've bumped him up to that higher level for the shirt, but missed it. I still remember the question was something about an Easy Bake Oven, maybe which company made them. I think we still have the hat, pins, and lanyard somewhere around here. He still had the 'phone a friend' option too, which I think was like a call to a random stranger in the park? Does anyone remember how that worked? He did do the ask the audience on one. It was lot of fun and good memories.

Yes, DH was in the hot seat. He made it to the 32,000 question that would've bumped him up to that higher level for the shirt, but missed it. I still remember the question was something about an Easy Bake Oven, maybe which company made them. I think we still have the hat, pins, and lanyard somewhere around here. He still had the 'phone a friend' option too, which I think was like a call to a random stranger in the park? Does anyone remember how that worked? He did do the ask the audience on one. It was lot of fun and good memories.
I believe you're correct, the "phone a friend" was a call to a cast member stationed outside the attraction. That person would choose a random park-goer to help with the question.

I was one of the first contestants at the Disneyland version of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire Play It and that was my favorite show and one of the reasons I went to Disneyland so often between 2001-2004 and I tried desperately to make it to the Hot Seat but never made it during my trips but I did make it into the Ring Of Fire quite a few times and on my birthday the host mentioned my name and said "Happy Birthday" to me and I felt very proud. In fact my first crush was a Who Wants To Be A Millionaire Play It host and when I first saw my crush I liked his smile and shining eyes but due to a glitch we weren't able to meet and I was heartbroken and I sobbed and wished that we could meet. Eventually I finally met my crush at my third Who Wants To Be A Millionaire Play It visit in 2003 and when we met for the first time I never felt so happy and overjoyed and he gave me his autograph and had our picture taken and he was truly my knight in shining armor. This is one show Disney never should've gotten rid of because it was really a interesting concept for an interactive show and why I think Disney really did away with Who Wants To Be A Millionaire Play It was because of Deal Or No Deal's NBC debut in 2005 but the syndicated version of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire was still popular at the time. But Disney should've brought Who Wants To Be A Millionaire Play It back to honor Regis Philbin when he died in 2020 much like they did with Captain EO when Michael Jackson passed away and since Who Wants To Be A Millionaire is a classic game show this show would still be popular today. But Disney should design more interactive game shows for the parks like Press Your Luck and it would be huge hits for the parks if it were to happen in the future

I was sixteen when I became a contestant on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire Play It at Disneyland and it was a lot of fun for me and very exciting to play. And I made lots of friends there too as well

It was called PHONE A COMPLETE STRANGER.

There was a Phone outside on the walkway with a WWTBAMPI PHONE A COMPLETE STRANGER sign.

And that Guest would get a cool PHONE A COMPLETE STRANGER Pin.

The only picture I could find is from the DL version.

1706382698669.png

I made it into the hotseat. Did not do well. Should have used a lifeline but I did not. Earned the lanyard, hat and pins at that level but could have gone further if I used a lifeline.

I even got to meet some of the hosts at the Disneyland version of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire and I even got their autographs too but they were hard to get because for some unknown reason the hosts were not allowed to greet people except the contestants in the Hot Seat or give out autographs to people who watched the show and I couldn't figure it out? Because in an actual game show the host traditionally meets everybody and gives out autographs after the show ends and Disney should've let the hosts greet everyone and give anyone an autograph who wanted one. But this is one show that Walt Disney World and Disneyland should bring back to honor the legacy of Regis Philbin because Regis Philbin was a legend and Disney should bring Who Wants To Be A Millionaire Play It to honor Regis Philbin. But I can say the hosts of the Disneyland version were awesome and some of the hosts were really funny and told funny jokes about the contestants at times. The host that became my first crush looked kind of like Jeremy Renner and he was cute and I am wondering if anyone had seen this host do any of the Who Wants To Be A Millionaire Play It shows you saw? He was really my knight in shining armor and I would LOVE it if anyone could talk to him and ask if he remembers someone named Dodger who was a contestant on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire Play It? I would be overjoyed if any of you did this for me

I had multiple family members make it to the hot seat. I was too terrified of having to go up there and self sabotaged a bit. I was on top at the end a few times.

Best I ever got was getting second place on a Fastest Finger First question. Never made it to the hot seat.

I never made it to the Hot Seat during my times at Who Wants To Be A Millionaire Play It at Disneyland but I made a milestone there during my last birthday trip where I was a Ring Of Fire contestant six times and I would get every single Ring Of Fire question right before anyone else could and the cast members that handed out Ring Of Fire tickets were amazed at my awesome skill and talent. Still I would've loved to have sat in the Hot Seat and gotten to play on stage there

Made it to the hot seat twice, lost on the 2nd to last question the second time. (Did not randomly push buttons to get there!) Had a couple of shirts and hats and a lot of pins. Got rid of some. DD made it to the hot seat once during the same show as me, she was pretty young (14?) and didn't get too far.

Thinking more about it, memories are coming back. The question I missed (to almost get to the end) was about regions of Italy. I had the 50-50 help thing and still guessed wrong!

Still have one of the shirts, looks like it was for 32,000 points.

View attachment 828841

I also made it to the hot seat.

I got to the 13th or maybe 14th question before I blew it! Still have the hat, pins and lanyard in my Disney cabinet.

Sometimes I consider tossing them.

My youngest DD (who would have known ALL the answers) was with me, but on many times doing this attraction, she never made it, and I got one chance. I do know someone who lives in Florida who got in the seat twice, but didn't win the cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter