Who were the celebrities whose deaths affected you the most?

Only one... Dale Earnhardt... April 29th is Dale Earnhardt day... I miss that man, I can still hear "we've lost Dale Earnhardt" :(

The ones I remember effecting me the most have been
Elvis-I was young but can remember where I was and how I found out. I was heartbroken.
Princess Diana-She was such a loving person and I felt sorry for her for putting up with that stupid husband and how he treated her. He was a disgrace. I stayed up all night watching the coverage.
Prince-I was always a huge fan of his. He was a part of my growing up and teen years. I have been keeping up all weekend with the happenings. This one effected me like Elvis did. They were both amazingly talented and gone too soon.

Conway Twitty was #1 for me.. along with the other classic country crooners.. Waylon Jennings, Johnny Cash, George Jones, Merle Haggard, etc. No one can fill their shoes.. country's not country anymore.

Actors/actresses.. Robin Williams, Andy Griffith, Bea Arthur

Leonard Nimoy.

As well: Michael Clarke Duncan, Pierre Berton, Jimmy Stewart, Mickey Rooney, Jack Lemon.

It is always sad to hear when a favorite talent passes. Most of mine are comic book creators from the golden and silver age, Jack Kirby being a potentially more well-known example. I think we all collectively take note when someone who is an institution passes, especially unexpectedly or at a young age. I don't know that I'd call it "mourning" for me, but I might certainly reflect on their contributions or enjoy one of the person's works in their honor.

Last edited:
David Bowie
Prince

For some reason, Prince's death just hit me hard. It is not the same as losing someone I know firsthand, but it just bothers me. I first became familiar with him my freshman year of college, when his first album came out. He came with a whole new sound and look. (My taste in music is all over the place). I attended several of his concerts over the years, but I never paid much, if any attention to his personal life. I think the suddenness of his death, along with being found alone just makes me so sad. Perhaps my reaction would be different if he had died at 80. Prince, like Michael Jackson and David Bowie remind me of youth. Like they all had so much left to share.

John Lennon - I was young and I really liked him and the Beatles.
Robin Williams - Such a gentle soul and I always felt there was a sadness to him.
Alan Rickman - so unexpected. I still am having a hard time wrapping my head around that one.

And Prince to a lesser degrees, but I'm still processing it and sad about it. He was such a good man.

I was sad when Leonard Nimoy died, but he was older and it wasn't totally unexpected.

I don't think any celebrity deaths have really affected me much. Oh, I'm sad to hear they died but I don't recall shedding tears over any of them.

For me I was saddened to hear of Princess Diana's death, along with Elvis, Patrick Swayze. Those were the ones I thought about most I guess.

When singers pass away I'm sometimes saddened that we won't hear any new music from them, or like with actors not seeing them in movies anymore.

But I didn't know them, and certainly wouldn't feel about their deaths as I would a loved member of my family.

I don't think any celebrity deaths have really affected me much. Oh, I'm sad to hear they died but I don't recall shedding tears over any of them.

For me I was saddened to hear of Princess Diana's death, along with Elvis, Patrick Swayze. Those were the ones I thought about most I guess.

When singers pass away I'm sometimes saddened that we won't hear any new music from them, or like with actors not seeing them in movies anymore.

But I didn't know them, and certainly wouldn't feel about their deaths as I would a loved member of my family.

I'd say there are very few who would mourn a celebrity as they would mourn a loved family member. Since you said no celebrity death has affected you much and then made that last statement, I just wanted to clear up that those of us they do affect, for the most part, aren't grieving like we would a family member.

For instance, I'd say Robin Williams' death affected me more than any celebrity. I got teary when I heard and thought about him (sometimes getting a little teary again)for a week or so, but I didn't bawl, was able to work, continue life as normal, etc. Now, if one of my parents or children, God forbid, died, it would be a completely different matter.

Celebrity deaths usually don't realky hit me hard. The one that did was Joan Rivers. I was genuinely upset by her death. Many mom and I always watched her and she was so spunky and with it that it was a shock when she died.

The deaths I can't seem to get out of my mind are the ones that are suspicious but don't have any closure. My mother was very upset about Natalie Wood and still talks about it. I recently just read about the death of Brittany Murphy who died very young and her husband died just 5 months later, very young, of the same thing. It is suspected that she and her husband may have been poisoned but no proof is available.

While not crying, or in deep mourning. The celebrity deaths that affected me more than others were (in no order)

Robin Williams (Just so sad, a man who brought so many laughs, was so sad)
John Ritter (grew up watch Three's Company)
Patrick Swayze (always liked him)
Michael Jackson (another from my youth years, I was a teen in the 80s)
Kirby Puckett (I'm from Minnesota, Kirby Puckett was a hero in so many ways to our state)

Lastly, Prince, again being from Minnesota it has affected us differently than most. Prince was such a strong figure here, even after he got famous. It wasn't a surprise to see him at a grocery store, record store, night-club.
Still shocks me he is gone :(

The one that was the hardest for me was Harry Chapin. I went to many of his concerts, and spent many hours discussing his songs with my college roomate.

Most affect me in some way if I in any way watched or listened to their stuff.

Princess Diana hit me VERY hard.
Phil Hartman of all people shocked me due to the nature of his death.
Donna Summer because I love her music
(and looking at what other people posted to prompt some memories--the top two came to me immediately)
Also shocking--but not as impacting as the above:
JFK Jr and Caroline Bissette Kennedy (due to the circumstances)
John Ritter (again circumstances..he seemed fine!)
Steve Irwin

And some random ones that came to mind. Not big celebrities but on National news at the time.
The little girl that was going for the flying record. I was following her story on the Today show and it was quite shocking to wake up and they were reporting she died. Jessica Dubroff. I was in college at the time so still had a whimsical naive nature.
When I was a little girl, I was also VERY sad when Samantha

I am sure there are more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter