Who'll stand with me...outside the DVC 'member' lounge?

And I agree, while DVC may be in their rights to not honor people in ROFR, a little common courtesy wouldn't kill them.

As far as "going back on their initial communication" I don't think that Disney actually changed their policy from one day to the next. I think it is just yet another example of asking 2 different employees the same question and getting 2 different answers. Disney is HORRIBLE at that.

I agree that Disney is within their rights. However, I find comments across all the boards saying there was no miscommunication or that it doesn't matter if there was or not to be a bit ridiculous.

When I call Member Administration and am told something, as far as I am concerned, it is an official communication from an authorized representative of DVC. When I call back a day later and get a completely different response from the same group, a miscommunication has occurred. Like it or not, DVC bungled the communication. I don't believe there was any intentional misrepresentation going on or that DVC changed its mind in one day on a policy they must have thought through. I just believe they dropped the ball and didn't send a clear message. They caused emotional damage to those people that for a day, thought they had squeaked by and still were getting the discounts and benefits.

if I was SVP of DVC, I'd issue an apology and stick with the original statement. The goodwill generated would be well worth it. It really wouldn't cost them anything but it would improve the goodwill among a population of their members.

Do do I believe DVC is going to do this. No way, as DVC's recent actions show they don't care. The change in the policy doesn't bother me one bit, as it's completely within their rights to make this change. I was wondering why they didn't do this before.

The only thing I'm miffed at is the communication gaffe.

http://i235.************************************************************* DVC Mike - *******.com

Which they did already in 2011, so this should be no surprise.

And I agree, while DVC may be in their rights to not honor people in ROFR, a little common courtesy wouldn't kill them.

As far as "going back on their initial communication" I don't think that Disney actually changed their policy from one day to the next. I think it is just yet another example of asking 2 different employees the same question and getting 2 different answers. Disney is HORRIBLE at that.

I think part of the problem is that the language of the initial communication was so unclear it may have been understood in a way That was different from what Disney intended. Indeed it was a poor communication but I'd subscribe to a screw up rather than a conspiracy theory

Buying into DVC is not just buying a timeshare it is buying the Disney Experience. Saying the perks don't matter is easy if you have those perks. I wouldn't have looked at DVC if I had no intention of visiting the parks...so the AP discount is a big deal. $1200 per year
What really disturbs and upsets me the most is that there are only a handful of first time buyers that have signed a contract and are in the process past the 10 day cooling down phase that Disney has decided not to grandfather in. This is scary because if they are nickel and diming me now...I what will the future hold.
Last year our trip to WDW cost at least $7000 not including airfare. This is a conservative estimate. We have gone to Disney annually for over 20 years .
We also own stock in Disney.
What irks me the most is that Disney just doesn't seem to care. I am willing to lose my deposit of $2125.00 rather than pay $35000 for a used product and have Disney make me feel like a second class citizen because I did not like their new product. I do not need a 50 yr contract and GFV ,Aulani and Poly Villas do not appeal to me.
Disney did not have the inventory to sell me The points at BWV or AKV that I wanted.

The contracts that are at Disney for ROFR will probably pass as Disney doesn't think they are worth purchasing.
I think Disney is headed in downward spiral and it's time to my losses.

Buying into DVC is not just buying a timeshare it is buying the Disney Experience. Saying the perks don't matter is easy if you have those perks. I wouldn't have looked at DVC if I had no intention of visiting the parks...so the AP discount is a big deal. $1200 per year
What really disturbs and upsets me the most is that there are only a handful of first time buyers that have signed a contract and are in the process past the 10 day cooling down phase that Disney has decided not to grandfather in. This is scary because if they are nickel and diming me now...I what will the future hold.
Last year our trip to WDW cost at least $7000 not including airfare. This is a conservative estimate. We have gone to Disney annually for over 20 years .
We also own stock in Disney.
What irks me the most is that Disney just doesn't seem to care. I am willing to lose my deposit of $2125.00 rather than pay $35000 for a used product and have Disney make me feel like a second class citizen because I did not like their new product. I do not need a 50 yr contract and GFV ,Aulani and Poly Villas do not appeal to me.
Disney did not have the inventory to sell me The points at BWV or AKV that I wanted.

The contracts that are at Disney for ROFR will probably pass as Disney doesn't think they are worth purchasing.
I think Disney is headed in downward spiral and it's time to my losses.

Buying DVC DIRECT is buying into the Disney Experience. As people are finding out, when you are buying resale, you are not buying the exact same thing. If you are buying resale, you are NOT buying from Disney. I am not saying the perks don't matter. I like my perks. I don't want them to go away. I'm sure they will though. But I will probably still keep my DVC.

IF someone selling a product verbally promised something that is not in the contract, then you may have legal recourse.

Every well written contract excludes anything other than what is written in the contract. Disney's lawyers are notoriously thorough. You won't be able to pursue a claim that something was supposed to be included.

Or, as my attorney wife often quotes, "Oral contracts are worth the paper they are printed on."

Firstly DVC do not make money on annual dues these cover the cost of running the resorts. Secondly long term DVC members are low spenders on vacations. We eat less on site now, buy very few souvenirs and do a lot less park days and I think this is a general trend.

The loss of perks which change all the time even for direct is unlikely to have a significant long term effect on resale prices.

What people are missing is direct buyers have lost a lot of perks this year. TIW is no longer the savings it was this trip we might just break even and if so it will be my last TIW. AP savings are still there but a lot less than they were.

Disney operates the management company. They have first a fixed profit they will receive and then I believe that any breakage over a certain amount also goes back to them. So yes, Disney makes money off of the maintenance fees as would any management company that were to take over. It's not a direct $ spent $ charged - there is a profit built in for them.

I wonder what Disney would do if enough people wrote or called in about this. And who should the frustrated/angry communications be directed to, Potrock or someone at DVD/DVC?

I agree about changing the rules for folks in the middle of buying, but as far as resale vs. direct, this is pretty standard in the timeshare world. From the company's point of view, why should they have to compete with those selling the same product for much less? They are in business to sell the product, and if something is cutting into their sales, it makes sense that they would sweeten the deal for those buying from them directly.

pirate: I agree, they are competing with resale for a product that they started. It was their product to start with and they have it in the contracts what they can do with it and what they cannot do. I am still getting what I paid for, a deluxe room at a resort of my choice when I bought in, nothing more nothing less. If they give me perks that I can use, great, If not I still get the room I originally purchased.

i understand that this is insanely frustrating for people because it seems like DVC just sprung this news on everyone, obviously impacting plans and decisions. I'm really sorry for everyone going through this.

i feel like i may have a differing opinion from most people on here, but DVC has the right to do this if they want to do it. most people buy resale so that they can save money, and that is totally fine. but to expect to buy resale not directly from DVC and get all the perks of buying from dvc seems a little...crazy? it would be like me buying a used car from an individual or a resale company and complaining because i was not given the free oil change slips or perks that were given out by the brand name dealer at time of purchase. just because in the end i am driving the same thing (or renting the same thing) as the original owner, it doesn't mean that i have the same add ons.

if you are buying directly from DVC you are most likely paying more, so you are more entitled to those benefits. like others have said, you should not be buying into DVC for the perks. you buy into it for the accommodations. i think that a lot of people are losing sight of the privilege of even being able to afford a timeshare for DVC. Lots of families can't afford to go to disney world EVER, let alone get resale DVC membership. So you don't get to go to the top of the world lounge or a 10-15% discount on property anymore? It stinks but in the grand scheme of things, this is a first world problem. be thankful that you can still have your dvc accommodations and have that quality time with your family in Disney. what are you going to remember? the time you spent together on that trip or the discount you got on something.

If a car manufacturer promised free oil changes for the life of the car...wouldn't they allow that to transfer to a person who buys the car resale?

If a car manufacturer promised free oil changes for the life of the car...wouldn't they allow that to transfer to a person who buys the car resale?

But DVD did not promise anything for the life of the "car" even to the original owner. The did just the opposite. They said "We can take these oil changes away any time we like. Take care, brush your hair!"

But DVD did not promise anything for the life of the "car" even to the original owner. The did just the opposite. They said "We can take these oil changes away any time we like. Take care, brush your hair!"

I know I harp on this a lot, but it's so important. I remember that piece of paper in my documents in the honking big font that said that all these perks are not included in your vacation ownership, that they're essentially given and taken away at the whim of DVC and other divisions of Disney.

Freely translated: we didn't buy the perks. We bought the resort stays.

I understand the disappointment, I agree that the communication was poor, I agree that advance notice, while certainly not required, would have been friendlier. But it's not a surprise, because the paperwork we signed made it clear that they can do this kind of thing. They've done it in the past, they're doing it now, they'll do it in the future.

They can take the same perks away from direct owners, too, without violating a word of the contract.

So odd to me that DVC cares so much and is maneuvering in this way just to suck people into the initial direct sale, when the money they make over the life of a contract comes overwhelmingly from annual dues and money spent by those DVC members while on their vacations. It seems that they win a small amount of money but lose loyalty and trust. Furthermore, if the resale prices fall due to this in the face of the forever-rising direct prices, I'd think direct would become an even harder sale for them.

Also - what's with people selling stocks right after they've fallen? Never understood this (no offense).

See this right here is why some of you are upset. You truly don't understand how all this works. Annual Dues go towards your Resort's operating costs, administrative expenses, refurbishment expenses and real estate taxes. Absolutely no profit for DVC from money spent while you are on vacation. Do you honestly think when you buy a Mickey ice cream bar that Disney Food Services, says, this was a DVC member that bought this, give the money to DVC.

The only revenue generating income that DVC has, is direct sales. Nothing else.

See this right here is why some of you are upset. You truly don't understand how all this works. Annual Dues go towards your Resort's operating costs, administrative expenses, refurbishment expenses and real estate taxes. Absolutely no profit for DVC from money spent while you are on vacation. Do you honestly think when you buy a Mickey ice cream bar that Disney Food Services, says, this was a DVC member that bought this, give the money to DVC.

The only revenue generating income that DVC has, is direct sales. Nothing else.

Why do people keep saying Disney doesn't get anything from running the resorts? And I quoted you Sammie but quite a few are saying it elsewhere too. Maybe I completely off base but as I read things they most certainly do get a fee. They have a management company (DVCMC - http://www.bloomberg.com/profiles/companies/0730775D:US-disney-vacation-club-management-corp) to run things and as far as I'm aware make a profit from it. All other costs are also attributed to MF's such as booking, admin just the same as housekeeping, utilities. It's been mentioned in the past that DVC could go with a different management company but that's only of interest to a company if they are going to make money off of it. I am not saying I disagree with the profit but I disagree with the representation that Disney does not make money off of DVC operations.

If I'm DVC
hmmm... generate large some of revenue when people buy directly from DVC. Generate no income from sale and reduce potential customer base when someone buys from secondary market instead of direct. Seems like a no brainer for DVC to make it less attractive to buy secondary market. Especially right now where it seems that Disney Corporate is trying to generate revenue form any and all sources along with cutbacks.

More resorts means more secondary market options plus slow sales at Poly and Wilderness Lodge being available in a couple years seems like DVC is doing what they feel is needed to protect their product. Will it work, who knows.

I have bigger issues with Annual AP and TIW costs rising, and level of service being questionable at times.

plus in this situation if you signed the contract with your perks (or got your car with the oil changes), you're being grandfathered in! you signed a binding contract before these changes went into place. no reason to be upset :p
Except for a signed contract is not what they are going in, many of us signed over a month or two ago and have not closed yet, and we were told day one that we would be grand fathered in, and then the next day told no, if it isn't recorded then we are our. So, for me, I understand not buying for the perks, and I'm not 100% angry over losing them, however, I am somewhat disappointed that resale purchases who bought before me will get those perks because they are grandfathered in, but in my case with a contract scheduled closing date of 3/31, and waiting on sellers , to now be told, nope, I'm out, really really sucks. But still, I am getting what I really wanted to begin with, I just think that all resale purchasers should lose, even those who bought a year or two ago, or those of us under contract should be in. That's just my 2 cents though.

I agree about changing the rules for folks in the middle of buying, but as far as resale vs. direct, this is pretty standard in the timeshare world. From the company's point of view, why should they have to compete with those selling the same product for much less? They are in business to sell the product, and if something is cutting into their sales, it makes sense that they would sweeten the deal for those buying from them directly.
But DVC already sold it once and made their money on it, so now they get to sell it twice and make double profit???

I am so extremely disappointed right now. I just received the email from my broker that I have been misinformed, that I will not be receiving the member extras after all. All this after I had spend all day running around, getting the cashiers check and mailing in the closing docs. We bought a small contract and waited 31 days to pass ROFR which it finally did on March 30. I was jumping up and down yesterday when I was first told that I am grandfathered in and now, I just got the wind knocked out of my sails.

I initially thought that my timing was just right in buying into DVC since we have a land-sea-land vacation coming up this August. We had rented points and we have reservations at Poly and AKL. In the middle of the trip, we have a 3-day Dream cruise. So, in February, I finally convinced my DH that we should buy a small contract and he finally agreed. I told him that we could purchase the TIW card and save on our upcoming dining which includes 15 TS restaurants that do accept the TIW card. I enticed him with the TOWL and the new Epcot lounge and member activities on the cruise.

And now, poof. I don't even know what to tell him now. Yes, we just spent $9,000 so we can be turned away and not enjoy any perks whatsoever.

This experience has soured me on Disney. On the other hand, this is definitely a cure for my Disney-itis. At this point, having just received the bad news, the excitement I had for our upcoming trip has gone out the window as well.

So, who else got shafted?

And for existing DVC members, how soon I can turnaround and sell this contract back to Disney?

What is the contact information for Potrock? I want to write to him directly.

IMO your issue is not with DVC or Potrock, if the broker didn't explain the perks or you did not understand that's not on DVC (not trying to be mean its just the facts). The perks were just that perks, they can eliminate them at any point. The money saved vs. buying direct more than makes up for any loss benefit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter