Who's stayed in a Fort Wilderness cabin recently?

UrsulaTime

Mouseketeer
I made the reservation for my aunt and cousin, and myself. So I'm a little nervous - I hope they're well-kept? I normally wouldn't question this, but like I said, I took the initiative to book our room, so I feel slightly responsible for its state.

I'm also wondering if the internal buses are efficient. I loved them when I was 7, but my cousin is 17, and I have a feeling he's more apt to find them annoying than charming. Even though I KNOW he'll love Fort Wilderness, I think he'll be overwhelmed by the amount of walking. We'll be there this Saturday. (I very recently switched our reservation from a Cars suite at AoA to FW because of the Cars pool refurb. I was stoked that the cabins had availability at a similar price. But I keep coming across details I didn't think to consider in my initial excitement...)

Any insight would be very appreciated.

I just stayed at the Cabins a week ago. In terms of condition, they were fine. They are not new but they are well kept. We had a car so we didn't have a lot of experience with the internal bus system. However they appeared to run almost continuously. It was my second stay in a year and a half so I'm obviously satisfied. You really can't beat the full kitchen for breakfast. It's nice to have part of the family eating while the other half is getting dressed or in the bathroom.

I also like that they are quiet. You don't hear slamming doors or kids running down the hall late at night. In the summer you hear a lot of mysterious insects or other Florida creatures in the woods. My daughter called them the honkers and clickers. I think you made a good choice.

We stayed for the first time a few weeks ago. Everything was very clean. It was much quieter than we expected it to be. We decided to take the buses instead of driving to the parks and they were pretty consistent. I think the longest we waited for an internal bus was 5 to 7 minutes. We cooked on the grill one night and the other night we went to P&J’s and brought it back to the cabin. Food was very good. Would recommend. Magic Kingdom fireworks can be viewed from the marina.

Internal bus runs start around 630am.

Not very often in the first 30-45 minutes but by 730am it's not a long wait in either direction.

As I mentioned in a different thread, there are 3 different internal bus lines between the Outpost Bus Depot (at the checkin area of the Fort) where buses depart for EP, AK, and MGM and the Settlement Bus Depot (at the Bay Lake end of the Fort) where bus/boats leave for MK. The cabin loops get two of the three internal bus lines (Purple and Orange) in each direction between the depots (only a Yellow bus line runs through a different section of the Fort) so the bus support is pretty good.

With two bus lines through the cabin loops, by 730am the bus stops are frequent. The cabins also have the advantage (besides a deck and grill) of drive-up-to-the-door parking at the cabin/resort. And the cabins are often offered with discounts (much more so than campsites).

I'm getting to the age where I can see a future beyond camping in my trailer (it's not close but I can see it). To adjust I'd like me and DW to get a condo at the beach and a cabin whenever we visit FW. We love the extra space, the quiet resort, a full kitchen, and all the Fort has to offer.

Bama Ed

To add to what Ed said, the yellow bus runs regularly from the settlement bus stop to Wilderness Lodge and back in case you have an reservation there someplace.

I also like that they are quiet. You don't hear slamming doors or kids running down the hall late at night. In the summer you hear a lot of mysterious insects or other Florida creatures in the woods. My daughter called them the honkers and clickers.
Ah, I think my aunt will really appreciate the quiet! She Except for the "honkers and clickers" (I have a feeling I'm going to start using that! How descriptive!)

Everything was very clean. It was much quieter than we expected it to be.
Wow. SO glad to hear both of those things.
I think the longest we waited for an internal bus was 5 to 7 minutes.
Thanks - now I'll be able to give my cousin some reassurance ("it will be here SOON") when we're walking to the bus stops (and I won't have to lie).

The cabins also have the advantage (besides a deck and grill) of drive-up-to-the-door parking at the cabin/resort
I had no idea.

To adjust I'd like me and DW to get a condo at the beach and a cabin whenever we visit FW.
That's the life! -- Beach condo, wilderness cabin. :)

Thank you nicko, carlyle688, and bama ed for sharing your experiences. I've relaxed quite a bit since reading them. It sounds like the Fort is still quite special. I'm looking forward to it.

To add to what Ed said, the yellow bus runs regularly from the settlement bus stop to Wilderness Lodge and back in case you have an reservation there someplace.
Ah, perfect. We have a reservation at the WL our first night: Storybook Dining with Snow White. (Tbh that's the reason this 2-day trip is happening. And I think that dinner will take on a cooler tone because we're coming from the Fort instead of AoA.)

In the summer you hear a lot of mysterious insects or other Florida creatures in the woods.
Wait! Are they real insects, or are they a recording? :p
I'm just kidding -- but I wanted to 'ask' because I remember reading that the cricket-ish sounds outside BRV are orchestrated!

Thanks for the info. Would we be able to catch that bus somewhere like the Outpost as it makes its way off property going to Wilderness Lodge? We are hoping to be in loop 1100 and thought we could maybe catch it enroute on Ft Wilderness Trail.

-- Edit --
Never mind, if I had done my research I wouldn't have asked this question, sorry folks.

Last edited:
Just returned from the Fort! It was LOVELY. Thank you to everyone who shared on this thread.

Quick notes after a quick two-night stay
  • The cabin was even a little nicer than I expected! :love: I liked it so much that I'm obliged to include the animated emoji.
    • I'm pretty sensitive to even minor design choices, and I was pleased to see that, contrary to photos on Disney's website, the random/ugly area rug wasn't in our cabin.
    • I'm 5'3 1/2" and slept comfortably on the bunk bed. (I forgot to bring my tape measure so that's as specific as I can be.)
  • The internal transportation was a breeze to use. When I wasn't 100% sure about which bus to take, I told the bus drivers where I wanted to go as I boarded, and they either reassured or redirected me. Driver Carlos was especially great.
  • Transportation to and from the parks was great. We waited only a few minutes for middle-of-the-day buses to and from DHS; same for evening ferries to and from MK.
  • The Wilderness Pool is closed for refurbishment. This news was relayed to me as I was checking in. (Well I'd done that online, but I went into the Outpost to get the lay of the land. Ironically, the reason I made a reservation at the cabins in the first place was because of a quiet pool refurb at my original reservation.) I still haven't been able to find a notice about the refurb on Disney's website -- in fact, because the 2023 main pool refurb is prominently displayed, it seems misleading to not mention the current status of the quiet pool in the same place. And the quiet pool refurb at AoA is noted on the website, which was another reason I unconsciously assumed that a pool refurb would be mentioned.
  • The Meadows Pool was smaller than expected, and understandably very crowded on a 90-degree Saturday in March. I was glad I'd already done a quick dip to cool off that day (at CSR's main pool) because it was NOT appealing.
  • Super cast members, especially at the Meadows Trading Post.
  • Speaking of cast members, we had a plumbing issue, and it was resolved within, like, twenty minutes!!
  • I wasn't 100% sure about the bike rental situation, but it was confirmed in person: Bike rental is 9am - 5pm, meaning bikes must be returned at 5pm each day. 'K.
In summary...I loved it, and I'd love to go back.

I agree with your reaction to the Fort 100%! Glad you enjoyed this different resort experience.
Yeah! I wanted to focus on specific/potentially useful information in my little review, so I didn't go into how much I just loved being at Fort Wilderness in general. We camped there twice in my childhood, and to say I have fond memories of it would be an understatement. To return after so long (almost thirty years, I think) and find its essence in tact was incredibly special. Two days wasn't at ALL long enough to be there (it's left me frustrated I didn't get to explore everything!) - it was a quick trip and therefore AoA was the original destination - but a happy accident led me back to the Fort and I'm grateful I had those two days!

Some of the golf carts were a riot! One of them was Mater (from Cars). Like a full-on professionally produced Mater....
The internal bus drivers were SO friendly and helpful....
And the evening ferry service could not have been better. I arrived at the dock as one was boarding; as it left, the captain announced another would be there in ten minutes, and it was! As for the return trip, we walked out shortly after the fireworks (not my choice, haha) and I expected a long wait, but again, it was only about ten minutes between ferries...

This is something hard to explain to people who have only stayed at a traditional WDW resort. The atmosphere and "essence" is unique to the Fort and one of the things most of us love.

j

This is true, even for me. I had never been to Fort Wilderness until a visit to Trail's End in 2018. We ended up loving the vibe, and decided to stay in a cabin in August 2020 when our original plans were canceled. We LOVED it, and stayed again over July 4th weekend last year. I wish I'd had the experience visiting while growing up, but am looking forward to all the memories I will make with my son.

So sorry-yes! Boats that will get my fun little family to the fort.
Ok, boats only run to and from the Fort to Magic Kingdom. (Think water bus to and from the park).
Boats aren't running between resorts any longer like they used to, or at least yet.
You specifically said boats. There is always bus transportation from the resorts to Magic Kingdom.
Finally, as previously mentioned the yellow bus run about every 15 to 20 minutes from the settlement stop to and from Wilderness Lodge.

The internet quality probably varies depending on your cabin location. I was in the 2700 loop at it worked just fine for me. Is that true in all the loops? Who knows but I also saw a post recently that Disney was working on the Wifi access points at the Fort this spring. Perhaps the Wifi will be even better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter