Who's your pack mule?

cdntowdw

Mouseketeer
We all like to take the "necessities" into the parks with us. Can you give me some ideas on who carries what? I think it is going to be difficult to get my kids to carry anything except themselves. My husband is a big strong guy, what can I hope he will carry - (maybe me when my feet get sore;) Any thoughts welcome:cool:

We let a locker do most of our "carrying". When we arrive, we store frozen water bottles, video camera, rain ponchos, etc. in a locker. The only thing we carry is a water bottle (on a strap), and a fanny pack with snacks, money and the camera. It doesn't take that much energy to go to the front of the park to retrieve something from the locker, and it also doesn't cost that much. This really works for us. My DH and I trade off carrying the fanny pack. It's a little oversized and black so he doesn't mind wearing it. However, he'd never wear on outside of the "World" LOL!!!!

Me Tarzan...I carry DJ's (darling Jane's)..."essentials" around the world all day, everyday...you know...important things like:

make-up kit (aka "girl-bag")

3 hair brushes (minimum)

3-5 Flavors of mints & gum

Rain Gear

Cameras

Cell Phone

paper, pen, paper clips, rubber bands etc..

Anti-Acids

Passes, Resort Cards, Credit Cards, Cash etc..

DJ's collection of losing Lotto tickets dating back to the early '80's

Hubcap from a '37 Chevy

Toothbrush, paste, collapsible cup

Extra rolls of film

Extra Cell Phone Battery

Emergency Sewing Kit

I've even been know to carry DJ back to room from Polynesian Revue when she's had too much coconut milk

And a host of assorted sundries too numerous to list!

....Still, we have fun!

:jester: :jester:

The mother (me) of course! If something is gonna get lost I better do the loosing or I will never forgive the person who loses it - hoppers, backpack, etc. It helps my peace of mind!

Dh,Dd,Ds,Dw and anything that rolls!!!!!!
Everyone carries their own Snacks,sunglass,and tickets[AP's]money!!
plus Dh carries sunscreenand .99 rain gear
plus Dw carries blistex,Medicines,her insulin supplies.
plus Dd carried make-up
plus ds carried gameboy and game cartriages

Mom! Well actually the backpack on Mom's power wheelchair. Everyone dumps what they can into that and then hooks stuff off the back. I only refuse to have them hook stuff over my controller as it ccan be dangerous.

The boys will wear fanny packs which will have their snacks, camera, mini-fan, and diversions. The drink bottle that came with the Coleman fanny pack is too heavy when fully (it makes the fanny pack sag uncomfortably). So I am looking for something that will hold around 6-8 ounces that we'll just have to refill more often. They will wear caps. They will wear sunglasses on strings and a wet bandana around their necks.

I will have a backpack with the squeeze breeze, camera, video camera, my water bottle, snacks, etc.

DH refuses to carry anything. So he ends up making us stop constantly to buy drinks. He also thinks the fanny packs have to be removed to do the rides, so he thinks they are inconvenient.

I got all my ideas from this forum and tried them out in our "dry run" at Paramounts Kings Dominion last week. They only fine tuning was the lesson learned about the weight of the water bottles.

47 days to go!!!!!!:bounce:

Why else would I bring DH? We have a large leather backpack with wheels which holds everything either one of us could need--water bottles, aspirin, bandaids, migraine medication, guidebooks, knee and ankle braces, dry socks, cameras, videotapes, floppy disks (for the digital camera), hats, suntan lotion, pens, paper, notebooks, tickets, IDs, keys...and all other essentials of modern life!

Because it's a backpack, it's really easy to carry, and it has a handle which pulls out so you can roll it when you want to.

He carries it on his back, this way I can get to all the stuff inside.

Beth

I guess I win the award for carrying the least amount of stuff around WDW. My fanny pack contains:

1 small container of Advil
1 small camera
A few rolls of film
Wallet (with hotel keys, passes, credit card, money)
Little hairbrush
Headbands
Raisins and nuts

My Brita bottle attaches to my fanny pack and I carry it around empty and fill it as I get thirsty.

I travel alone, and if I can't carry it, it doesn't get carried!!

Donna

Lets see...that would be me!! Or actually my wheelchair carries our gear. I have a small messenger bag on the back of the wheelchair w/rain gear, first aide kit, guidebook, handwipes, sunscreen and umbrella. Then I also have a tiny waist pouch for tickets, film and batteries and autograph book/pen and tickets. The DH carries the camera.

Lisapooh-I used my powerchair the last time in WDW and I was definitely the pack mule then, we loaded up the backpack and off we went. That trip we had four adults so there was more stuff then this time.

17 days till we leave for WDW :bounce: :bounce:

i have to agree with imgoingtodisney . no one would enjoy the rest of the trip if they lost something. momma does 99.9% of the carrying!

I have a small disney camera case that has a little pocket in the back, in that I put my tickets, cash, credit card, license and a little case of advil. I wear my sunglasses, no hat and carry a little bottle of water with me. Usually that is all I have...

However this past just I had my DSO and he carried a backpack. Looking back now I don't remember what it carried, water, rain coat...nothing that was very essential. We are big fans of an afternoon dip in the pool so we were always back at the hotel for the rain and if not, it's half the fun getting wet!!!! I also had a misty fan which I just carried over my shoulder with my camera bag.....

Poor guy, I don't know why I made him carry that backpack now......oops. Sorry honey!!!!!

on our last trip I carried my own small fanny pack with our park passes and my advil etc...and my money and make up....my fiance carried a backpack with every else...water bottle, sunscreen, food etc etc etc etc etc and etc etc etc...

NOT THIS TIME....even my big strong;) man's back got sore. we learned our lesson. This time around we are BOTH carrying bigger fanny packs so we can even out the load.

I had the backpack with 2 frozen water bottles, 5 ponchos, gum, change of clothes for DS, tissues, wet wipes, maps, park guides, money, etc. 35 mm camera with zoom lens around my neck, squeeze breeze full of water on my shoulder!!!!!!!! Gee and then the rest of my clan can't understand why I can't carry my 3 yo to the bus stop! Gee Whiz!!!

My DW carries everything we need. You see.... The deal is.... DW packs everything we'll need and carries the supplies to the parks and I plan, save, call, plan, organize, save, call, organize, save and call.

Now, I make it seem like it's a chore and it's no fun ( as far as I can tell, she believes me) but we all know that it's half the rush of going to WDW. I just hope that she never catches on..... come to think of it... she's too smart for that.... she's letting me have the fun.... what a Doll!

Chuck:bounce:

How funny you should post this!

Just gat back from the world and I told everyone (2 ds and their families and dh and me!) to just call me Peppe`, their little pack mule!!! LOL!

I carried a beautiful Mickey neophrene-like backpack w/ water, camera, ponchos (several for us to "share"), walkie-talkies, ziploc of meds, moleskin and bandaids, film, my prescription glasses/sunglasses, candies and suprises for the kids, hankie, wipes, kleenex, and whatever else the kids didn't want to carry!!!!

My sisters each wore a belly pack (really cool, rectangular w/ several compartments. Held lots but really very compact.)

DH helped out and carried the bag from time to time, but it didn't bother me to have it on. Only got hot a few times and it was nice to have something we could stash stuff in for the water rides. Sometimes dh carried the water and camera and we usually had the walki-talkies clipped onto our shorts, which helped alot. I could stuff the autograph books and hats in their and keep them safe durring the rain (it STORMED every day but one). Cool tip, my ds asked for a small disney palstic bag (or saved one from a purchase), stored the autograph books and hats in them, then ran the belt of their belly bags through the handle and voila!!...hands free carrying. (Of course it banged against them when we made them run
:smooth: !!!) But it was nice to free up hands while eating an ice cream.

We do a combo of the locker/carry around thing. Lunch and extra clothes go into the locker and DH carries the camera bag and the all-purpose band-aids, Tylenol, park passes, my personal grooming aids as well as both of our snacks and water bottles. Early in my marriage I demonstrated a charming inability to keep up with bags. (I once left the camera at some trading post out west and we took a 100 mile r/t detour to retrieve it. I'm no longer allowed to carry anything. My momma didn't raise no fool!) The kids are on their own. DS carries nothing while DD is seriously considering purchasing the services of a sherpa to tote her load. Fortunately, due to the immense load she carries daily to school she is very fit.:D

Had to laugh when I read "lisapooh" response. Everybody that goes with us thinks my ECV is a grocery cart. So I guess I carry everything, My son, Video camera, Fannypak, Water, my wife jumps on the back when she gets tired. LOL! And I still don't remeber that ladys name that hitched a ride with me last December hhhhmmmmmmm!

My pack mule is not coming with me and DS in August! DH is staying home- I am taking DS on a mini trip before kindergarten. I don't know how I am going to carry around cash and credit cards, never mind the backpack full of bottled water and snacks!! I won't do a fanny pack and I am not carrying a purse to DW- I probably will take the stroller and use it as the pack mule!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter