• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Why are late Feb and March so high in points?

Straulin

Mouseketeer
I was looking at the point charts for WDW and noticed late February and the majority of March are one tier from the top of point charts. Normally I can look at the Charts and the divisions intuitively make since based upon the time of the year. What am I missing for those two times?

Tier 5
Feb 16—29. ??
Mar 1—Mar 23. : ??
Apr 1—30 : Spring Break
Nov 27—29 : Thanksgiving

Tier 6
March 24 - 31:Spring Break
Dec 24-31 : Christmas & New Year

Is it just then end of Festival of the Arts and beginning of Flower and Garden? Early spring break?

A lot of the northeast gets both a February vacation (3rd or 4th week) and April vacation (3rd or 4th week). Add in whenever Easter is that year and college breaks in March or other school breaks during March/April. It has been the second highest tier the whole time we have been members (2008).

When the kids were in school we always alternated April/February visits to get at least 2 uses out of an annual pass...and sometimes add in a short Thanksgiving or Columbus day weekend trip. Happy to be able to do some cheaper seasons now that the youngest is in college!

Last edited:
What am I missing for those two times?
I totally agree--a bit frustrating to me! In addition to all the spring break time, the last weekend in February is the Princess RunDisney weekend, which we love to run and the points are always so high...such a bummer. Now we just have to plan for it.

Northern winter break the 3rd week in February and most of March are spring breaks for many of the Southern schools who get out end of May.

Our spring breaks here are always in March, week varies somewhat, but usually mid- March. I wondered if Feb extra high for folks escaping the winters up north. We used to travel during Mardi Gras from LA, often Feb, early March.

Last edited:
We also have a winter break around that third weekend in February. I teach in GA. I know lots of schools around here that have time off right around then.

Texas schools tend to have Spring Break in early March too. And as PP noted, in late February there’s the Princess half marathon as well as President’s Day, which is another long holiday weekend for many people.

Easter is early next year, March 31st so a shortened time period. In the northeast it means that more people will go the last week of March where private schools have a March break and public schools have Easter/Passover week off. That Easter week is usually in April.

The weeks surrounding President's Day are quite busy. And by mid-March, Spring Break is starting to kick-in.

One could probably make an argument for having the last week of Feb and first week of March in a cheaper season. But there are little pockets like that all throughout the calendar. Crowd levels are not equal throughout the months of January and September despite all dates being in the same season.

Thanks for the input all! I knew about the Run Disney event but didn’t realize northern states have the winter break and southern state’s fall break in that late Feb - Early March time period. We live in Kentucky and our Spring Break is normally in April.

March is elementary and high school Spring Break (aka March Break) here in Ontario, Canada. So there will always be a big contingent of us then. Mid-late Feb is university break here. Lots of Canadians head to WDW from Mid-Feb through the end of March.

Last edited:
Early March does not tend to be a difficult time to get a room, so maybe the point level are high and in a future rebalance it could get adjusted. But during President's week in late Feb (East coast break week) availability is very tight, even with the higher point charts. To me, this means the point chart are appropriate for that week and could even be higher.

I'm from the the Philly area and the only school breaks I know of are Presidents day weekend (Monday) and whenever Easter/Passover week is.

The reality is that Feb through April has, for many years, actually been a low to moderate demand season for WDW DVC resorts when measured by how quickly rooms fill for reservations during that time. Feb 1 to the Thurs before Presidents' Day has long been the lowest DVC demand time of the year, and last week of April has been third lowest (July 7 to 31 has been second lowest). Between Feb and April, there is actually one very high demand time, the Thurs to Sunday of the Princess half-marathon weekend in Feb, and the Star Wars race weekend in April has also been high, but even those do not come near the demand for rooms during the "fall" season, late Sep through marathon weekend in Jan, which has long been the highest DVC demand time of the year, e.g., demand during that time has long made the two Easter weeks look like slow off-seasons, and demand from Feb through April for other than the race weekends has been moderate in comparison to the fall season.

So why does Feb through April have the higher point per night times of the year: it is the effect of history of both DVC and WDW.

When the Disney Vacation Club Resort (now named OKW) opened in 1991, it adopted a point chart that had five seasons that essentially had points varying to the same degree per season as the annual demand for Disney hotels varied. At the time, fall season except for Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays was a low Disney resort demand season, mid-Feb to April and summer (mid-June to mid-Aug were high demand times and points needed for both were the same (except the Easter weeks were always in the highest season). I personally recall choosing to reserve a Disney hotel for time in October or November at the time because the park crowds were low during those periods in the early 1990s. The Food & Wine festival at Epcot did not exist; started in 1995 but then only for the period from late Sep to late Oct. Halloween was just a two-day event that did not have a lot going on -- Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party did not exist until 1995 and did not become an event that took place for more than two days until the early 2000's. Not much happened at Epcot for Christmas until the creation of the Candlelight Processional in 2001. And though there was a Magic Kingdom Christmas season, it did not start before Thanksgiving time and the Annual Christmas parade did not start until 1995. Moreover, first half of December, as far as rooms went at WDW, was a still a low demand period in the early 1990s, and even the third week of Decmeber was fairly low, while the lowest demand times of the year were Jan and Sep. The original point chart also had weekends (Fri and Sat) at much higher levels than weekday than they are now.

That original form of point chart had only one minor change in 1995 when points were shifted somewhat at OKW between two of the seasons. Thereafter, the same form of five seasonal point chart was chosen for every WDW DVC resort that came into existence before 2009, and the charts were never changed despite both the changes in seasonal demand that occurred over time for WDW hotels, and the changes in demand that occurred for the WDW DVC resorts, which over time diverted from the usual hotel demand patterns, not just because the Fall season became more popular generally at Disney, but because DVC demand developed into large variances that depended on the the total points needed per night -- weekend demand became very weak and the fall season, and from late Sep to marathon weekend in Jan (first such weekend was in 1994) when points needed were lower than other times of year, became the highest demand time.

The first significant change in the WDW point charts did not occur until 2010 and 2011 when DVC did a major shift of points amounting to a greater than 20% change from weekend (Fri and Sat) to weekdays (Sun through Thurs). That shift took two years to do because the total change of points needed for any given room for any given night cannot change more than 20% (up or down) in any given year.

In the several years thereafter, point changes became almost an annual event for varying resorts but none addressed the overall difference in points needed and demand between the high demand fall season (late Sep to marathon weekend in Jan) and the more moderate season the rest of the year. As new WDW DVC Resorts were added (BLT, VGF, Poly, CCV, Riviera), the same five-season point structure as existed with the earlier resorts was maintained.

For the 2020 point charts, DVC attempted to do something I considered to be illegal under the terms of the POS -- shift points from larger rooms (two bedrooms and GVs) to studios to significantly increase the number of points needed year round for studios. I was one of many who informed DVC of our belief that those point charts were improper, and then, just before reservations could begin for 2020, DVC removed those new point charts and reverted to the prior ones.

Then the major change to a 7-season point chart began with the 2021 point charts, although the first one had to be modified mid-year because the original chart relied heavily on the movement of the Easter date to significantly raise or lower total points needed to reserve all rooms for a year when that total point number is not supposed to rise to any signicant extent from year to year.

Those seven season point charts started, for the first time ever, the shift of points to raise those needed in the high demand fall season. A like shift was made for the 2022 and 2023 WDW DVC resort point charts, while the 2024 point charts remain essentially the same as 2023. However, total points needed annually needs to remain the same except those resulting from natural annual calendar changes, e.g., some years have more weekends in higher point seasons than others, the dates for Easter and Thanksgiving change annually, and, every four years, points needed for Feb 29 are added. What happened over those three years of changes is that the points being added to the fall season were points from the May to August (Sep became a little lower but it was already in the lowest season before). A probable reason is that DVC faced a point shift problem. The Oct to mid-Jan high demand season was much shorter than the Feb to Sep moderate season. Due to the requirement that the total points shifted to one time of the year must equal the total points taken away from other times of year, it is likely a decision was made to leave Feb to April as is because if points had been shifted from the entire Feb through Aug period to the much shorter fall season, the changes to the points made in any of the Feb to Aug period would have been much lower per night than the decrease that actually occurred for the May to Aug season, and thus would not have realistically had much of an impact to possibly change demand for any of the moderate season.

Last edited:
The time starting around the middle weekend in February has been busier at Disney for quite a few years now. It's often the combination of President Day weekend, Valentine's Day, Mardi Gras around that time, and Daytona around that time. Throw in the Princess Runs towards the end of the month, it brings in some crowds. You can always tell where Disney used to be lower with crowds throughout the year - they now have a 'run' weekend that makes it NOT lower crowds!

@drusba, thanks for the detailed history of the DVC points charts! Coming into DVC in the late 1990s, I had a very vague recollection of the earlier points charts but couldn't remember anything precisely. I appreciate having this history and have bookmarked it for future reference.

When the Disney Vacation Club Resort (now named OKW) opened in 1991, it adopted a point chart that had five seasons that essentially had points varying to the same degree per season as the annual demand for Disney hotels varied. At the time, fall season except for Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays was a low Disney resort demand season, Feb through April and summer were high demand times. I personally recall choosing to reserve a Disney hotel for time in October or November at the time because the park crowds were low during those periods in the early 1990s. The Food & Wine festival at Epcot did not exist; started in 1995 but then only for the period from late Sep to late Oct. Halloween was just a two-day event that did not have a lot going on -- Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party did not exist until 1995 and did not become an event that took place for more than two days until the early 2000's. Not much happened at Epcot for Christmas until the creation of the Candlelight Processional in 2001. And though there was a Magic Kingdom Christmas season, it did not start before Thanksgiving time and the Annual Christmas parade did not start until 1995. Moreover, first half of December, as far as rooms went at WDW, was a still a low demand period in the early 1990s, and even the third week of December was fairly low, while the lowest demand times of the year were Jan and Sep. The original point chart also had weekends (Fri and Sat) at much higher levels than weekday than they are now.
Great evolution of the program

northern states
I can't speak to anyone else, but by the time February rolls around, I've had enough of winter and I am ready for something warmer. Winter doesn't relent here until late March or early April.

The rest of the year, the attraction of WDW is mostly "WDW is fun." But for those two months or so, the attraction is "WDW is fun, but more importantly it's not winter there."

I can't speak to anyone else, but by the time February rolls around, I've had enough of winter and I am ready for something warmer. Winter doesn't relent here until late March or early April.
...or, in the case of this year, MAY:crazy2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter