• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Why bother calling it "The Holidays"?

JayDavis

Earning My Ears
Apologies if this post is controversial. I am a full Jewish Magic Key Holder. This is my first year having a Magic Key and the first time I visited the park during the "Holiday" season. I understand that I am part of the minority and the world is dominated by Christmas around this time of year. That is why I had hope for "Festival of Holidays" and "Holidays at the park" and "Small world Holiday". Hope that there would be some level of inclusion to Chanukah, one of the holidays at this time of year. However, all I saw was Christmas! Christmas! Christmas!

The only remnants of Chanukah I could find where 15 seconds of dreidels during the fireworks show, a mac and cheese "kugel" and festival of holidays and literally one shelf of items in all of the stores in the park. There also appeared to be a Klezmer band playing in the far corner of DCA for 30 mins. I went through small world holiday and did not see a single piece of Chanukah paraphanelia despite it being "Holidays around the world".

Of the very small collection of Chanukah themed items, I saw a Chanukah serving plate shaped like Mouse Ears in a window display, but could not find it in the store. Finally an assistant said the only had one available in the back. I asked if it was a popular item and he just said "its hard to keep in stock since its a weird shape". It was the shape of Mickey Mouse, something which there were hundreds of similar Christmas items.

Again, I know I am in the minority and shouldn't expect as much Chanukah stuff as Christmas , but there seems like so many missed opportunities. Why not have a take on Jelly donuts or latkes, common Chanukah food. Why not have a single Menorah in small world, where there are countless Christmas trees. Why not have more than one t-shirt that Jewish guests can purchase?

At this point, it's more offensive for them to call it "The Holidays" than it would be to call it "Christmas at Disneyland". If you are going to try to be representative of different cultures, at least make more than minimal effort to pander.

Given that Michael Eisner and Bob Iger are both Jewish, you might think Disneyland would be more inclusive for Jewish traditional icons and items during the holiday celebrations. But you raise an interesting issue.

Were there Muslim, Buddhist, Hindu items? My googling suggests the the U.S. Jewish population is about 2.5%. I have no answer for what percentage of the holiday focus should be on each religion, other than acknowledging the obvious--the vast majority of Americans are Christian, or at least culturally so. Also, a lot of what we see as Christmas icons have nothing to do with celebrating or worshiping Christ. Rather, it is about secular Santa stuff. Ultimately I suppose it is all about money. I'm sorry you didn't feel properly acknowledged and included in the so-called holiday celebration.

The past couple of years they had Hanukkah crafts and activities along the front of Little Mermaid in the area called Paradise Gardens Park. They recently moved the entrance of Little Mermaid so they may have moved the Hanukkah tables as well.

There is quite a bit of Hanukkah merchandise but, in my opinion, they are always odd choices. For example, how many people purchase playing cards, much less Hanukkah playing cards? I do, however, see plenty of people in the parks wearing Hanukkah ears and the Hanukkah Lounge Fly.

I haven't looked at the clothing selection recently. I'm annoyed that the one design looks like a Christmas tree (as does the Wish t-shirt logo). Shop Disney, however, has four Hanukkah clothing logos.

Regarding the food, last year they had "loaded latkes." This year they have the kugel mac & cheese and a brisket slider. Both parks and Marcelines sell Hanukkah colored treats (cupcakes, cookies, Rice Krispie treats, etc.)

Edit: Based on this article, it looks like they moved the holiday tables to DTD this year. Hanukkah at Disneyland 2023.

Last edited:
You do not see one religious symbol of the birth of Christ. Only during the Candlelight Processional is the Bible read. All the Christmas decorations are secular. I think putting in a Menorah anywhere would prompt Christians to want a Navitity scene or creche. The Menorah is not a secular symbol. Disney only celebrates the secular holidays. The fact that Hannukah items are available for sale is a plus for Disney. But as to what products are offered, the different types and the varities, I am sure Disney does a supply and demand analysis for that as they do for everything else.

This makes me wonder...if their "holiday" stuff in the parks...does it ever skew religious at all? I feel like the Christmas stuff is all secular, like mentioned above. Makes me wonder if they purposely try not to include much in the way of religious beliefs.
It is deliberate. Disney wants to stay neutral as do most businesses.

And when you think about it is the "Holiday season"...Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years (major federal holiday). Plus Hannukah, Kwanzaa and other festivals (Winter solstice). People often overlook New Year's Day as a holiday. It happens during the 12 days of Christmas.

I’m sorry you feel excluded. I am half Jewish and celebrate both Christmas and Hanukkah. Frankly, I am pleasantly surprised when I see any inclusion of Hanukkah from any mainstream company. I thought there was a decent amount of Hanukkah merch when I was there a few weeks ago. However I can sympathize with your point of view even though I don’t feel the same way.

I visited during the holidays about 8 years ago and I remember seeing a lit menorah in a window on Main Street in DL and one in DCA near the little mermaid ride in one of the San Francisco-style Victorian windows. I completely forgot to look for them on our recent visit so I hope they are still there.

I visited during the holidays about 8 years ago and I remember seeing a lit menorah in a window on Main Street in DL and one in DCA near the little mermaid ride in one of the San Francisco-style Victorian windows. I completely forgot to look for them on our recent visit so I hope they are still there.
They may be added tonight.

Its funny when people say Christmas Trees and Santa Claus are "secular". Sure it isn't Jesus, but many Jews do not celebrate Christmas nor do they have Christmas trees in their house or wear Santa Hats.

The point is, if they are going to put so much effort in making this about the "holidays" I wish there were more options than one ear set, one backpack and one shirt. Or maybe some blue and white somewhere instead of the constant red and green

I saw a Chanukah serving plate shaped like Mouse Ears in a window display, but could not find it in the store. Finally an assistant said the only had one available in the back. I asked if it was a popular item and he just said "its hard to keep in stock since its a weird shape". It was the shape of Mickey Mouse, something which there were hundreds of similar Christmas items.
I'm not sure why she gave you that response. The Mickey plate and the gelt sold out very quickly. I looked through Disney Hype Beast's IG and Disney started selling Hanukkah merch on Oct 2. Several of the Christmas items that they started selling in October are no longer available either.

For what it is worth, the plate is sold out on Shop Disney as well.
1701989929013.png

Its funny when people say Christmas Trees and Santa Claus are "secular". Sure it isn't Jesus, but many Jews do not celebrate Christmas nor do they have Christmas trees in their house or wear Santa Hats.

The point is, if they are going to put so much effort in making this about the "holidays" I wish there were more options than one ear set, one backpack and one shirt. Or maybe some blue and white somewhere instead of the constant red and green
Actually, courts have said they Christmas trees and Santa Claus are secular. Most Christians do not celebrate Hanukkah either or have menorahs in their houses either. As a lawyer, I have studied the establishment clause. You should write Disney and tell them they need to step it up on Hanukkah and Hanukkah items. Disneyland should do what EPCOT does for Hanukkah.
Complain to Disney.

Last edited:
All the Disney parks outside the US have a Christmas event while the US parks are unique in attempting to include other holidays. In fact, some Americans will get offended if you wish them "Merry Christmas" and they celebrate other holidays in December but not Christmas. So at some point in recent American history, it became popular for companies to promote a "holiday season" in a rather superficial way as opposed to Christmas exclusively.

In a reasonable world, I think it could make sense to have Disneyland Park have a Christmas event and then California Adventure have a Holidays event. That way, each holiday can have reasonable prominence in California Adventure and there would be less expectation of other holidays being featured in Disneyland. I personally would love to see jelly donuts or latkes at the food booths in California Adventure.

On a slightly related note, some Asian Americans feel offended by Disney's attempts at pandering during the Lunar New Year event. A lot of the foods claiming to come from a certain country really have nothing to do with that country and seem designed by American chefs who may have eaten once at an Mexican-Asian fusion restaurant but have no actual experience with actual Asian cooking.

Incidents like Moana's choreography in the parade demonstrate how clearly superficial Disney is with their so-called inclusion of cultures. And Disney doesn't even really believe in inclusion when they still engage in ageism with activities like the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique and Alice's Wonderland Bakery Unbirthday Party at California Adventure.

People have been saying "Happy Holidays" and talking about the "holiday season" forever though. It's not a recent way to refer to this time of year at all. I do think big corporations don't want to leave anyone out but also don't like to go all-in with any specific religion. I'm wondering if any of the shops sell any nativity sets or anything specific to Jesus.

I do find it interesting to see how businesses try to do it. But I feel like it's a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation for the most part.

As far as talking about how Santa is secular...that doesn't necessarily mean EVERY person celebrates it. I imagine there are actually a lot of Christians who don't make Santa and Rudolph a part of their Christmas.

Anyway...since it started this evening, Happy Chanukah!

Incidents like Moana's choreography in the parade demonstrate how clearly superficial Disney is with their so-called inclusion of cultures. And Disney doesn't even really believe in inclusion when they still engage in ageism with activities like the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique and Alice's Wonderland Bakery Unbirthday Party at California Adventure.
The Coco section dancers of the parade aren't very Mexican either but at this point we are very used to it unfortunately.

What do you mean by ageism in activities??

The Coco section dancers of the parade aren't very Mexican either but at this point we are very used to it unfortunately.

What do you mean by ageism in activities??

Some activities are for children 12 and younger only. Unlike the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail where older guests are larger and could damage the equipment designed for kids, there is no real reason why a teenager or adult shouldn't be able to enjoy a makeover or decorate a cupcake.

If Disney wants to engage in age based discrimination to have kid-exclusive activities, then they shouldn't claim to be inclusive.

While we are at it, as someone who works with rodents for a living, I'm offended that Disney is passing off Mickey and Minnie as mice when they look nothing like "authentic" mice.

It completely ruins the magic when everything is not 100% "authentic."
Speaking of that, in the Once Upon a Studio's final picture, Chip & Dale are supposedly their actual size relative to their co-stars. However, Mickey and Minnie are significantly larger. Dumbo and the dwarfs are barely larger than a dalmatian. Not sure what the point was in making C&D their actual size.

1702050155879.png

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter