• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

why buy expensive dvc?

We own one contract (BLT) where we take full advantage of 11 months and another (SSR) where we will never stay - strictly a 7 month booking option.

You often see benefits of 11 months referenced as critical for smaller resorts. Is it reasonable to assume that each resort has the same relationship of owners booking their home resort before 7 months? If so then the size does not influence availability at precisely 7 months. However, it is undeniable that VGF or other small resorts will fill more quickly < 7 months.

Prior to buying BLT we consistently stayed at BLT off season in standard view rooms with no issues at 7 months. We only purchased there as we needed more points and are now looking at booking for higher demand seasons.

I'm looking to buy a resale DVC from disney. I'm on the waiting list for old key west and saratoga. why would i pay for grand floridian if i can use my cheaper purchased points from say old key west at the grand floridian. i understand the 11 month vs the 7 month booking advantage but what other advantage is there?

Curious about the 'on the waiting list'. Are you purchasing direct from DVD/DVC? Are you looking at very small contracts - 100 pts or less? Are you into bus transpo?

We purchased points at VGF because we live in California and with kids in school we are pretty much restricted to school holidays. We almost always spend Thanksgiving at WDW and we loved the VGF so for us, owning there was important as I doubt very much we would be able to get 9 or 10 nights at VGF during Thanksgiving week at the 7 month mark. If we didn't travel over Thanksgiving or other "peak" times or didn't care if we stayed at VGF, I would have added on somewhere else.

The only real advantage is if you want a particular resort during a more peak time of the year. During off times it matters less than say christmas.

The only real advantage is if you want a particular resort during a more peak time of the year. During off times it matters less than say christmas.
Even owning doesn't guarantee access during a specific time or for certain options unless one does the fixed week option at the newer resorts.

Even owning doesn't guarantee access during a specific time or for certain options unless one does the fixed week option at the newer resorts.

And, its really important for people who are considering a purchase to understand that DVC peak times are not necessarily WDW peak times. If you are used to thinking the first week in December is a great time to go when no one goes to Disney and if you buy DVC you'll be able to book where you want, you'll be in for an unpleasant surprise.

On the other hand, the week of the Fourth of July - not usually that difficult to book - not when compared to the first week in December. I still wouldn't buy SSR thinking you were going to get a BLT standard view room every year - no matter how dead your targeted travel time is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter