Why can't I post pictures on social media?

Disneyland1084

OH PLEASE SOMEBODY TELL ME!
This past Saturday I went to my sister's neighbor's 40th birthday. She's a multi-millionaire several times over. The neighbor, not my sister. She paid $150,000 for the band Michael Franti and the Spearhead to play. Before they started, she told everyone she signed a contract that stated absolutely NO one could post pictures of the band on social media. She didn't go into details, but just said it was due to legal reasons. Why is that? I guess I just don't get what the big deal is. They're just photos. Can someone please explain why? :confused3

This past Saturday I went to my sister's neighbor's 40th birthday. She's a multi-millionaire several times over. The neighbor, not my sister. She paid $150,000 for the band Michael Franti and the Spearhead to play. Before they started, she told everyone she signed a contract that stated absolutely NO one could post pictures of the band on social media. She didn't go into details, but just said it was due to legal reasons. Why is that? I guess I just don't get what the big deal is. They're just photos. Can someone please explain why? :confused3
Maybe performing birthday parties like a clown-for-hire isn't great for the band's image.

She signed a contract. You didn't.

I used to work at a concert venue and while a party at home may be treated differently, there were plenty of bands who wanted no pictures to be taken at concerts. They would specify ahead of time that guests were not allowed to bring cameras (cell phones were allowed). If I remember correctly they would have staff out looking for people videoing/taking pictures. There was one band where the lead singer was really weird about having his photo taken. May just be the band's preference?

It's like when you go into a theme park or sporting event and they have signs posted saying "you are on video" or "you may be photographed". People don't want you posting their photos all over the internet, so some places come with warnings. This particular band put it in their contract.

How in the world do you know how much your sister's neighbor paid for a band at a home party? Was she bragging about it? Maybe it is the neighbor that doesn't want her party talked about so her brags are not uncovered to be embellishments.

This is a way to control the band's public image. Many bands have touring photographers that work closely with band management to carefully pick which images will be allowed on social media. It's always been like this, just now much more difficult to control since everybody has a cell phone in their pocket, so they make sure their rider is very clear that nobody is allowed to take photos or distribute them.

Case in point, one of the most widely circulated pictures of Beyonce is a god-awful pose from the Super Bowl. I won't post it here, because her lawyers allegedly have sent take-down requests to websites that post the image. Google "beyonce superbowl" and look at the very first photo if you want to see the picture in question.

Last edited:
Dunno why she would pay $150k for a band nobody has heard of. Although his previous band opened for U2, so I guess there's that.

I've heard at least three of his songs played on pop radio stations, so Michael Franti isn't just a wannabe.

OP-your sis must have a few $$ if she lives next to a multi-millionaire?

She has a nice house like her neighbor. They both live on farm land, on a nice long street with several houses. My sister and her DH earn a good living, but they're no where near as wealthy as their neighbor. They could never afford to hire a famous rock band for a private party.

How in the world do you know how much your sister's neighbor paid for a band at a home party? Was she bragging about it? Maybe it is the neighbor that doesn't want her party talked about so her brags are not uncovered to be embellishments.

She got drunk and told me. And no, I didn't ask.

She signed a contract. You didn't.

But continuing to accept the hospitality of the hosts implies a tacit agreement to comply, does it not? OP was told before the performance and remained, so the why begins and ends with the hostess' request.

Meh, I get it. A very wealthy local doctor flew in a singer to perform at his daughter's wedding last summer who's name I will not mention it, but let's just say s/he has had top ten songs. I know several people who were invited to the wedding, and it was like Fort Knox: security scanned their invitations, gave them colored armbands, searched bags for recording devices, etc. CRAZY! But if it's what's in the band/singer's contract, and you want to have them perform, that's what's done....

Terri

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter