Why check in 60 days in advance?

travelbug

DIS Veteran
It's less than 60 days till my next DVC reservation starts. I know that advance check-in is now available 60 days in advance instead of 10 as it used to be. I'm wondering if there are any particular advantages to checking in so far in advance. I'm on 2 wait lists for this res. also, until 30 days out. Would early check-in affect the wait lists? I currently have BWV preferred view but I'm wait listed for BWV standard view and also for BCV.

Just want to make sure I'm not missing out on something by waiting a while longer before checking in. :)

The only reason for early check in or early anything at Disney is to get you to commit to your vacation.

Committed people tend to follow through and not change their mind to vacation somewhere else which is less money for Disney.

:earsboy: Bill

Check in early because I'm EXCITED but the last time I did that it didn't work - they didn't even realize I checked in.

I used online check-in prior to my latest trip. AT check-in they simply scanned my MagicBand, made sure everything was in order, gave me my room number and it was all done. I will use online check-in for future trips. That said, there is no reason to check-in at 60 days prior to arrival, as far as I could tell. You can check-in at 10 days or even later, if you choose to do so.

The only advantage of early check-in before arrival is is that your room file will be ready when you arrive and check-in is thus sometimes quicker. That set-up occurs whether you check-in 60 days out or 10 days, and thus you can wait without concern that you are missing something.

I suppose it partially depends on where you're staying. On my last trip (split stay), I did on-line check in at both resorts. The first was Kidani-no one said anything to me, so I asked the CM standing there If I had to stand in the same line as everyone else if I'd done on-line check in. She just replied "Yes", and when I got to the counter, it was the same procedure as the past, when I hadn't done on-line check in. At my next stop, BCV, not only did I stand in the one line (no separate on-line check in), we then had to go and sit while they "redid" something on their computers. And when I got to the room, I noticed that DVCMember showed us with 2 reservations for the same time, same room, so I had to call MS. I'd done on-line check in because I'd thought that with the MagicBands I had to. Since I was told "Not necessary", never again will we do on-line check in. BTW, this was my second try doing on-line check in. I'd done it a few months beforehand at Jambo, with the same results. So 3 resorts-3 strikes on-line check ins out for me!

Thanks, everyone! You all confirmed what I pretty much suspected, but I'm glad to know I won't be missing out on something by waiting to check in until much closer to my arrival date.

I've had one decent experience with online check-in (BWV last Dec.) and one excellent experience (Aulani). I think I'll still do online check-in this time and hope it's at least another decent experience. :)

It may be quicker check in at some resorts of you've already done check in on line. Our last two trips we stayed at OKW and BC split (May) and Saratoga (Nov). At al three resorts we'd done on line check in and had a separate check in line upon arrival. The on line check in lines were much shorter than those who had not checked in on line.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

When we arrived at BWV we were greeted at door by cast member, went into lobby told us to just to the side and he came back with our packet and room keys. We've stayed at BLT and they pulled up their Ipads they did direct us to a castmember at the front desk of the contemporary (we arrived on ME) and they took quick care of us.

I think (just guessing) the pre-check in may be of more assistance to the Resort than the guest. Still is fun to check in early.:cool1::woohoo:

I suppose it partially depends on where you're staying. On my last trip (split stay), I did on-line check in at both resorts. The first was Kidani-no one said anything to me, so I asked the CM standing there If I had to stand in the same line as everyone else if I'd done on-line check in. She just replied "Yes", and when I got to the counter, it was the same procedure as the past, when I hadn't done on-line check in. At my next stop, BCV, not only did I stand in the one line (no separate on-line check in), we then had to go and sit while they "redid" something on their computers. And when I got to the room, I noticed that DVCMember showed us with 2 reservations for the same time, same room, so I had to call MS. I'd done on-line check in because I'd thought that with the MagicBands I had to. Since I was told "Not necessary", never again will we do on-line check in. BTW, this was my second try doing on-line check in. I'd done it a few months beforehand at Jambo, with the same results. So 3 resorts-3 strikes on-line check ins out for me!

Exact opposite for me! Negative experiences when we don't do it (assigned lousy, or at the very least rooms that don't work for us) but mainly positive when we do it.

Of course, I've never had a super-short checkin experience even with online checkin, especially since Feb of this year when it all changed (when the 60 days thing started); either something didn't come through and it has to be done again, or they have to redo something, or the CM wants to move us, or there's just a lot of people in front of us. Some people say the CMs just hand things to you and set you on your way, but that hasn't been the case for us at all.

For me, I do the early checkin simply because it's FUN for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter