Why did Disney Destroy the Magic & Wonder?

Cfabar1

DIS Veteran
I have watched many films about the ships at launch.

They had a beautiful double staircase

and a sculpture by one of the world's greatest glass designers, Dale chihuly

Michael Eisner created such an elegant space.... As glorious as the Titanic!

Why would Disney trash this and replace it???

Very sad to hear this... We were thinking of planning a cruise on the Magic, and were considering an Alaskan cruise on the Wonder... Might have to stick to the Triton Class and Fantasy/Dream which are much more cost effective....

Does the Magic even offer anything special at this point???

Very sad to learn this....

Very sad to hear this... We were thinking of planning a cruise on the Magic, and were considering an Alaskan cruise on the Wonder... Might have to stick to the Triton Class and Fantasy/Dream which are much more cost effective....

This is a pretty extreme view. I can’t speak to what the ships were like originally because I’m a pretty new cruiser, but I loved the Wonder, and I very much look forward to my upcoming Magic sailing. I was never like “wow, what a dump, if only there were a double staircase and some Chihuly glass this would be a palace, but now it’s a dumpster fire” 🙄

There have been some changes to the atrium on the Magic and Wonder, but it really didn't change that much. It's still a beautiful ship and well worth sailing on. Nothing has been destroyed. Disney Imagineering designed the atrium originally and Disney Imagineering designed the changes. So you are still sailing on a ship designed by some of the best environmental artists in the world.

I know it's not a popular opinion but dh and I always thought that glass design was ugly. I did enjoy the double staircase though. Apparently, DCL felt it was wasted space. It won't stop me from sailing on the Magic. I still love her.

Disney did not destroy anything... I personally never experienced any of the above and do not feel that the Classic ships are not magical. They still feel more intimate, feature themed dining (Rapunzel, Tiana... sure the Wish has Arendelle... but it isn't the same) and have a version of Animator's Palate that is closer to the original... I could go on... but these are a few examples of the good things on the Magic/Wonder.

There are a lot of speculation as to why the chandelier was removed ranging from being a maintenance nightmare to having to be returned to the artist... so to say that DCL has "trashed the ship" is a matter of very personal opinion.

As for the double staircase, yes, esthetically, it looks nice - but from a traffic flow, the single staircase is much better and allows to use the left side as a character picture spot, without the disruption of people going up and down... it also allowed for other changes that allow for better flows in/out of Lumiere...

Disney does things for a reason... in this case... probably efficiency and to a lesser extent probably safety

Having been on the Magic and actually experienced the ship in person, you are wrong, wrong wrong. and thats all I will say. Making such dramatic and wrong assumptions before you even experience it in person is just mind blowing.

I do miss the beautiful chandeliers in the atrium. The Wonder one is nice, for me the Magic one just looks cheap now.

I miss Route 66 adult area on the Wonder too, as I loved the theming there.

Looking back the double staircase made the atrium feel cramped, I think it’s actually better now they took one staircase away, especially at Christmastime for the tree and gingerbread house.

None of the other ships have the double staircase either so this doesn’t make sense to be a reason only to stick to the other class of ships.

They definitely did not destroy either ship, the Wonder is my favourite of the whole fleet. The smaller ships are really perfect and have IMO the best service out of any of the fleet.

I do miss the beautiful chandeliers in the atrium. The Wonder one is nice, for me the Magic one just looks cheap now.

I miss Route 66 adult area on the Wonder too, as I loved the theming there.

Looking back the double staircase made the atrium feel cramped, I think it’s actually better now they took one staircase away, especially at Christmastime for the tree and gingerbread house.

None of the other ships have the double staircase either so this doesn’t make sense to be a reason only to stick to the other class of ships.

They definitely did not destroy either ship, the Wonder is my favourite of the whole fleet. The smaller ships are really perfect and have IMO the best service out of any of the fleet.
so glad to hear this. I was worried that perhaps if those two elements were removed it just became a small older ship without the elegance...

we will look to book a trip on the magic either fall 2024 or summer 2025 based on your recommendation.

sounds like the staircase, despite the asymmetry might be in practicality a good thing.

I guess folks didn't miss the chandeliers. Maybe they didn't know who the sculptor was and his importance to the craft. To me, I thought it so fit in with Eisner's theme for Disney in the 90s --- using outstanding architects, being at the forefront of design, etc.

I agree with you and I really don’t like how the atrium in the Wish is one big stage. Ugh.

so glad to hear this. I was worried that perhaps if those two elements were removed it just became a small older ship without the elegance...

we will look to book a trip on the magic either fall 2024 or summer 2025 based on your recommendation.

sounds like the staircase, despite the asymmetry might be in practicality a good thing.

I guess folks didn't miss the chandeliers. Maybe they didn't know who the sculptor was and his importance to the craft. To me, I thought it so fit in with Eisner's theme for Disney in the 90s --- using outstanding architects, being at the forefront of design, etc.
You're right that if one compares a Chihuly work of art to the current chandelier on the Magic... the current one does not compare... and actually needed some fixing during the last dry dock... The curent chandelier is average at best and if for you going on a ship is about a grandiose lobby atrium and artwork... disappointment in your future I see... I think the point that the few of us are making is that the Magic and Wonder are great ships despite this and have many other great features to showcase...

Eisner or not, Disney spends a great deal of money, probably more than any other cruise line, to keep their ship in top shape... the 25-year old Magic/Wonder look way better maintained than a 10-year old Carnival ship. Now, don't get me wrong, these ships, especially the Magic which was the 1st ship to be built the way it was, are starting to show their age as there is only so much that successive drydocks can do... plumbing, electrical and mechanical have their limits... but visually... they are still relatively stunning. Now, one could speculate that these ships only have a couple of years left in service before they no longer meet a certain standard and DCL takes further action... which would be one more reason to experience them while they last...

Yes, many of us know who Dale Chihuly is. We also know who Michael Graves is and, while we can appreciate who they are and what each has done in their craft, I, personally go to Disney properties to admire the work of Disney designers and Imagineers (most of whom are at the "forefront" of design - that's why they are Imagineers) I understand what Eisner was doing, but he hasn't lead Disney for many, many years. I would argue the Chihuly and Graves works didn't belong in Disney to begin with.

I find it difficult to grasp that the reason someone wouldn't sail on a ship is a lack of a second staircase in the atrium. The magic and wonder have an additional staircase right around the corner to the aft. It's quite nice actually. We just spent 14 nights in a row on the Magic and wouldn't hesitate to book again. But I can appreciate that you would be willing to pay a premium for the premium art sculptures.

Part of the premium you pay for the magic and wonder is also that these are smaller ships, so operating costs are not spread out among 5000 of your closest friends. I wouldn't pay Disney prices for Alaska personally, just simply because for us, it is an excursion heavy cruise, and I would rather pay less for the ship and use more for the great adventures.

We were on the Magic in September, and the atrium still felt grand, although not overly so. We loved the Magic because it did not feel overly big. Everything felt accessible. It was easy to navigate the ship, but still felt like you were on a splendid voyage. Our cruise in September was 5 nights and we loved it so much we decided to do a 7 night on the Magic, largely so we could spend more time to explore the ship.

The cost-effectiveness can’t really be compared when the itineraries are so different. Alaska on the wonder vs standard Caribbean on the Fantasy for example. Alaska will always be way more.

We have done a 13 night on the Magic and a 14 night on the Wonder and grew to love both of these ships so much.

Dale Chihuly is iconic. For me the atrium chandeliers were so gorgeous visiting Dale Chihuly Gardens in Seattle was on my bucket list and in 2022 I achieved that dream. It lived up to my expectations and went beyond.
I have to admit that I did regret the change from the extraordinary to the ordinary in the atrium.
It was a poor replacement but apart from passing through the area I spend little time there, so I don't really notice it now.
You get on, you are clapped and off you go!

Interesting view point. I felt the exact opposite. We love the magic. Its our favorite ship! We love the dream which was our first sailing but the magic had so much more character. I'm not sure a change in the stairs or chandelier makes anything a dumpster fire LOL!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter