Why did they eliminate the Star Wars race weekend?

iheartglaciers

DIS Veteran
I’ve been a little out of the runDisney loop, but why did they eliminate the Star Wars runDisney weekend? I see they replaced it by a spring surprise weekend. Was it not popular?

Thanks!

I’ve been a little out of the runDisney loop, but why did they eliminate the Star Wars runDisney weekend? I see they replaced it by a spring surprise weekend. Was it not popular?

Thanks!

It was the least popular of their race weekends and routinely failed to sell out. They announced that they were going to re-theme the weekend right before Christmas when they converted this year’s event to virtual.

It was the least popular of their race weekends and routinely failed to sell out. They announced that they were going to re-theme the weekend right before Christmas when they converted this year’s event to virtual.

Thanks!! I was hoping to do a Disney World Star Wars runDisney race at some point. I did the inaugural Star Wars half at Disneyland and it was so much fun!

This was a bucket list thing for me and I started getting in shape for the 2020 race, which obviously didn't happen. Seriously bummed about this.

So, the question is, is it not selling out due to theme, or due to timing? March/April is getting to the point where it's kinda warm, you're dodging Easter/Spring Break so it's not on one consistent weekend, it's very close to Spring Break so a lot of people won't want to take the time off...

So, the question is, is it not selling out due to theme, or due to timing? March/April is getting to the point where it's kinda warm, you're dodging Easter/Spring Break so it's not on one consistent weekend, it's very close to Spring Break so a lot of people won't want to take the time off...

‘My guess is that they either had survey/focus group info pointing at the theme or they want to test your theor by seeing if attendance is boosted by changing the theme up.

I was one and done with the Dark Side Half in 2016 even though I loved the race, the music, and running in Epcot in the dark. It wasn't terribly hot that year, but I felt like I was rolling the dice by running in FL in the spring.

I think three factors played in. Timing because or proximity to spring break created potential travel problems for people. And at least on my end, April races are never happening unless later in the month. Theme also didn't help. Avengers races in Disneyland also struggled to sell out and in fact bibs were available for the last Avengers Half the day before the race happened when people already knew it would be the last runDisney race for a long time, if not forever. As much as I love Star Wars and like the MCU, I wonder how many regular people really loved those themes. They almost felt designed for the specific cross section of runners who are also geeks.

The demise of runDisney Anaheim also reduced at least some of the appeal for the Kessel Run. I think they'll likely have more success with a rotating theme that can allow them to strike on a particularly hot property of the moment, but not be bound to it in the long run.

Just look at how they've started to branch out the virtual summer shorts series. They did the Incredibles to tie with the movie in 2018 and again with Marvel in 2019. A rotating theme allows them to cover a lot more ground than the "limitations" they face with Marathon weekend always being fab 5 and Princess.

Last edited:
I was one and done with the Dark Side Half in 2016 even though I loved the race, the music, and running in Epcot in the dark. It wasn't terribly hot that year, but I felt like I was rolling the dice by running in FL in the spring.

Yeah, Dark Side Half in 2017 was rather warm, as I recall. Also available for quite a while - I know I registered for it after I'd finished Light Side, so it wasn't even close to a day one sellout.

And then RR 2019 had the 5k rainout.

I don't recall if 2018 had any issues, as I didn't run that one.

I just don't think there is enough interest in a Star Wars (or Avengers) race. I like Star Wars and have seen all the films and I love running and Disney. I have no interest in a race themed to any of the more modern franchises.

I assume they have the data to back up the decision and since they are replacing that weekend with a new themed race they don't think it was the time of year that was the problem.

Yeah, Dark Side Half in 2017 was rather warm, as I recall. Also available for quite a while - I know I registered for it after I'd finished Light Side, so it wasn't even close to a day one sellout.

And then RR 2019 had the 5k rainout.

I don't recall if 2018 had any issues, as I didn't run that one.
2018 at least the 5K & 10K were smooth

Could be mistaken but I don’t think Light Side was the most popular at DL either.

Feel bad for anyone who never got the chance to run during a SW weekend but it did feel like it was getting stagnant on RD’s end. That might play into the villains pivot for Wine and Dine too. No idea what they’ll do now but it opens up a lot of possibilities, and no reason they can’t dip back into SW for a race here and there. I know they’ve never sent a race through Galaxys Edge but maybe they figure it out one day and craft a race centered on that, kinda like the Tower of Terror run.

I was able to run the first and last in-person Star Wars races at WDW, and I loved them both. They made some big improvements between the races, so hopefully we'll get some more Star Wars races in the future. Running through the Endor battle was an amazing experience which must return!!!
A Galaxy's Edge-themed race would be spectacular. Would I need a Dok Ondar running costume? Hmmmm...

This was a bucket list thing for me and I started getting in shape for the 2020 race, which obviously didn't happen. Seriously bummed about this.

Same here, 2020 was going to be my first SW one. I wish they had at least one more final in person race. Ending it on a virtual one is so lame.

I just don't think there is enough interest in a Star Wars (or Avengers) race. I like Star Wars and have seen all the films and I love running and Disney. I have no interest in a race themed to any of the more modern franchises.

I assume they have the data to back up the decision and since they are replacing that weekend with a new themed race they don't think it was the time of year that was the problem.

Pre-COVID, I remember reading that much of the running boom was driven by female runners. Looking at finisher results from various Disney race weekends, the races all seemed to have more female than male finishers (and in the case of weekends like Princess, much more). Princess was also a consistent seller, even while other weekends were showing declining interest. Maybe Star Wars and Avengers theming was too male-centric and Disney was looking for another event to appeal to their more consistent customers, female runners?

Pre-COVID, I remember reading that much of the running boom was driven by female runners. Looking at finisher results from various Disney race weekends, the races all seemed to have more female than male finishers (and in the case of weekends like Princess, much more). Princess was also a consistent seller, even while other weekends were showing declining interest.

Yes, I too have seen that running has become more female-focused. Which is interesting given the new POT of 2:00 requirement it will make those corrals more male-dominated. (I wonder if Disney knows their audience and who books the family trips to the parks?) I know by running Disney for all these years I have gotten all my family members involved.

Would love to see DL races come back with new Marvel themes with the new surge in popularity esp among women and park area in CA. (Fingers-crossed) DH and I enjoyed those as couple-get-away weekends.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter