Why did you sell?

DH and I have several contracts at 4 resorts. We've been owners since 2006. We were considering selling our contracts this year because we have 2 kids that are headed off to college soon. Lightening our monthly responsibility to DVC would be a help greatly and if we could sell our DVC contracts for basically what we paid for them it would help to get that principle back too.

The other reason we're thinking of selling is because we're just not thrilled with the "improvements" Disney is making at the parks. To us it just seems we keep paying more and getting less from Disney. Now with Covid, it may take us a while to sell all our contracts or the bottom may fall out of the resale market -- guess we will have to wait and see how we come out the other side of Covid.

Recently sold 2 small contracts (OKW and VGF) so I can buy more VWL (BRV) - edited to add that I still kept 2 other small OKW and also 2 small VGF contracts - it’s just that I had too many points in those resorts and not enough VWL...

Last edited:
For those who have sold their DVC contracts, I am asking out of curiosity, why you sold. I know why we did, which many wont like, so I will reserve my comments on that (for now), but I am curious to know what drives people to sell.

Please know I am not asking for anything personal. I dont want to dive that deep or open any wounds. For any who had a loss of child, loss of spouse, loss of income or anything else that flipped your life upside down....I am truly sorry you went through or are going through that. I hope and pray you heal and are able to enjoy trips in the future.

My curiosity is piqued because of my personal thoughts. We love Disney parks. It is truly such a fun and happy place. Especially at Christmas. We are about 3 weeks from finalization on the contract and although I do not regret selling, I do miss the parks (pre-2020) already. ROFR took 32 days and everything is moving right along. My wife said she may cry when we sign the final documents, but she is not regretting it either.

Kind of interested in your story it leaves the thread lacking wanting others reason without your own so now the curiosity is on "your reason" at least for me.

I haven't sold my DVC contracts so I can't add a story for anyone but to be honest it always adds a sinking feeling to hear people selling off. I always think people buy for the same, lets call them emotional feelings, as I did so it sets off that disappointed feeling even if doesn't affect you.

I sold because we wanted more beach and national park vacations than Disney vacations.

I've been watching for info on the upcoming tower at the Disneyland Hotel. I keep thinking about buying it and then talking myself out of it.

We had one contract. In the last few months, I resigned as a long-time CM and sold my DVC. I used to love all things Disney, but we made a decision to change gears completely as we do not like the direction the company is going. We are tired of the pandering, pushing certain ideas while drowning out others and largely, the leadership is horrible. Also, should Disney Corp not fully recover, we have too many years of experience and knowledge under our belt to accept anything less.

Just my opinion, but I sold when Corona first hit fearing lower prices.. Afterwards, I decided that I felt it was a mistake. I feel that we have passed through the worst of the virus already, there are vaccinnes on the way, and there will be a future. WDW is still the best place for a fmily vacation IMO and WDW will still be there as people have begun to go back to parks and resorts so I am in the process of buying back in.

Covid played a part in us selling as well. Not sure how Disney will be in the coming years, but if they fold we lose everything on DVC.

Kind of interested in your story it leaves the thread lacking wanting others reason without your own so now the curiosity is on "your reason" at least for me.

I haven't sold my DVC contracts so I can't add a story for anyone but to be honest it always adds a sinking feeling to hear people selling off. I always think people buy for the same, lets call them emotional feelings, as I did so it sets off that disappointed feeling even if doesn't affect you.

the short version is that disney caters to and pushes certain agendas while making it clear they are against other groups. while pushing inclusiveness they are really more exclusive. if you are on one side they support you, but they are against a lot that is good. hard for us to invest money into something like that.

We had one contract. In the last few months, I resigned as a long-time CM and sold my DVC. I used to love all things Disney, but we made a decision to change gears completely as we do not like the direction the company is going. We are tired of the pandering, pushing certain ideas while drowning out others and largely, the leadership is horrible. Also, should Disney Corp not fully recover, we have too many years of experience and knowledge under our belt to accept anything less.

this 100000%

the short version is that disney caters to and pushes certain agendas while making it clear they are against other groups. while pushing inclusiveness they are really more exclusive. if you are on one side they support you, but they are against a lot that is good. hard for us to invest money into something like that.

What?

Is this in relation partly to Splash Mountain or what are you talking about?

What?

I believe they are referring to "politically correct" - and there is absolutely nothing unusual about large, multi-national corporations being "politically correct" these days. Sadly, it is good business.

As for Disney, the future is bright. Their newly launched streaming business is on fire, Disney+ content is in demand, and the deals Bob Iger has put together over the past few years are really second to none. The parks are, and will continue to be, the beneficiary of that work. Once CV-19 passes, the parks will be back stronger than ever. As we head towards 2025, I believe there will be a surge in demand for DVC. It will be the roaring 20's all over again.

What?

Yeah would be better to come out and say what you mean rather than ominous/vague statements about Disney “making it clear they are against other groups.” Political correctness can be overdone but it’s an empty word without specific. But I am sorry to hear you feel unwelcome.

Yeah would be better to come out and say what you mean rather than ominous/vague statements about Disney “making it clear they are against other groups.” Political correctness can be overdone but it’s an empty word without specific. But I am sorry to hear you feel unwelcome.

First and foremost a smart business stays out of choosing sides so it doesn't alienate 1/2 their customers and this was the standard operating procedure for many years. Since business has decided to ignore a tried and true method of keeping both sides happy most customers/people now vote with their feet and dollars if they don't agree with it.

KyleAfterAWhile has every right not to want to do business with a mindset they don't agree with and have the right to be able to say it without pushback as well.

First and foremost a smart business stays out of choosing sides so it doesn't alienate 1/2 their customers and this was the standard operating procedure for many years. Since business has decided to ignore a tried and true method of keeping both sides happy most customers/people now vote with their feet and dollars if they don't agree with it.

KyleAfterAWhile has every right not to want to do business with a mindset they don't agree with and have the right to be able to say it without pushback as well.

But you have yet to reveal what “it” is and what group Disney is “alienating“ or “excluding.” Or did I miss that?

We sold when it became to difficult to coordinate trips around both DS's schedules. One was in College and the other in High School, both played sports. We knew when we sold, we'd eventually buy back in. Now that both are done with school and engaged to be married, we put in a contract on the resale market in July. Waiting to get through ROFR. Time to start planning those trips again so we can take our eventual grandchildren!! ;)

The thing is zero specifics on what Disney is doing to "choose sides".

People can choose to stop doing business with whoever they want. If someone wants to post about it then I will ask a question as to why and for examples.

What?fellow

I am not the one you are replying to, so I cannot answer for him, but I can tell you from my perspective it goes well beyond the Splash Mountain change. Disney has been pandering for years to certain agendas; it is just in more recent times it has become "exclusive". (word that @KyleAfterAWhile used) It has gone beyond advertising and pandering to pushing it onto employees to choose a side. I resigned because I will not play party to it.

2 years ago, I witnessed a fellow CM berate a guest about the current POTUS and other issues. Here is theabbreviated version of what happened, because I am not trying to get banned from the Disboards...
Guest walked up to DVC desk in the MK asked to trade pins. She had a kid with her. CM, literally out of nowhere, started talking about the election and said she cut her dad out of her life for his vote. Why would she do this? The guest was wearing a Minnie Mouse shirt that was released at the Disney Store a few years prior for Independence Day and it said something like "Proud American" on it. My fellow-CM was triggered, as they say. You could see the guest was trying to be nice and avoid the conversation, but stood her ground on freedom in America and the deception from media. She was nice to the CM and told her she should research things she is told by MSM because it is a real eye opener. CM then went off about feminism, racial issues, sexism and sexual preference. No joke. Saying how she was happy to work for a company that stands with a "certain side" and against ideas like the guest had. She literally told the guest this. I was with another guest, but I overheard much of it and intervened as soon as I could as that is not allowed. The guest went on her way with her kid. The guest made a complaint to Guest Relations. As I was a witness, I was questioned because my name was provided in the report by the guest. No doubt my fellow-CM should have been fired. She has been known for doing this before, so I have been told. I have seen friends fired for much less. My fellow CM was barely reprimanded as I understand and until March, she was still employed. She may still be employed now. In my discussion, I was told that I did the right thing by intervening (in my position nothing less would have been acceptable), but my fellow-CM had the right to express her ideas if she felt it was defending the company. Um. No. That is actually against policy.

I have witnessed other incidents which I have had to intervene to stop or report up to somebody in a different department. There are stories I could tell that would shine a big spotlight on a side of the company that people would be shocked even existed. But, I am not here to play party to reputations. I only want to say this.... Disney used to be a company that stood in the middle, but did the right thing. Now they choose sides not based on the business, but on what is considered PC. They do care about the guest and Disney does still go above and beyond, but it is based upon what works out best for them in the end, not what is right, per se. It is not the same company it was 20 years ago.

The thing is zero specifics on what Disney is doing to "choose sides".

People can choose to stop doing business with whoever they want. If someone wants to post about it then I will ask a question as to why and for examples.

I don't believe the OP needs to tell anyone what specific business practice or agenda he does not agree with. I think he is clear that he doesn't agree with something and he is choosing not to do business with them because of it. Have you never disagreed with a businesses decision to promote a policy or agenda and chose to boycott them over it? Everyone else does.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter