Why Disney, WHY??

Katesdad

DIS Veteran
Disney, please explain the logic to us as to why you want to cram a hundred people into close quarters, standing shoulder to shoulder, in the hot sun, for 20 minutes spreading possible germs and disease so you can show us how to put on a life jacket when you put a system in place a few years ago that works wonderfully and is being used by evert other cruise line in the industry? PLEASE EXPLAN YOURSELF so we can understand this move to put your customers and employees in unnecessary danger. PLEASE!!!
Katesdad

Disney, please explain the logic to us as to why you want to cram a hundred people into close quarters, standing shoulder to shoulder, in the hot sun, for 20 minutes spreading possible germs and disease so you can show us how to put on a life jacket when you put a system in place a few years ago that works wonderfully and is being used by evert other cruise line in the industry? PLEASE EXPLAN YOURSELF so we can understand this move to put your customers and employees in unnecessary danger. PLEASE!!!
Katesdad

Disney does what Disney does. :confused3

Back yesterday from a cruise on another line. Muster was an in Cabin video viewing, given a code number at video's end to enter in cabin phone then went to assigned Muster Station where Key Card was scanned.

Because in the event of an actual emergency, they would like us not all to panic and die? Safety is always paramount, and they are going back to what has been proven to save lives. We can take a little inconvenience to ensure folks are well prepared if something goes wrong.

Fortunately, Disney didn't have any emergencies requiring the wearing of life vests during the pandemic. But, very few people stopped and paid attention to the mandatory safety drill message when it was broadcast across the ship. At least during the drills, they have everybody's attention. I don't mind them.

Because in the event of an actual emergency, they would like us not all to panic and die? Safety is always paramount, and they are going back to what has been proven to save lives. We can take a little inconvenience to ensure folks are well prepared if something goes wrong.
But that could also have happened during covid. There is no reason to believe that other cruiselines care less about safety or that guests on other lines pay more attention to in-room muster drills.

It is theater, because in case of panic people forget instructions anyway. There is a reason why in a plane they demonstrate how to unbuckle, because people forget when they panic. When there is an incident you are better off with well trained staff who remain calm, than focussing on explaining something 99% have forgotten the moment the drill is over.

People will forget their muster station or how to get there. If something happens run to the nearest CM and ask what to do. He will ask you to look at your keycard and tell you how to get there.

That doesn't explain why DCL is removing their virtual muster drill while other cruise lines are not
Other cruise lines are not, YET. But will be. It's the law that was modified because of covid. The other protocols brought about because of covid have been phased out, this is just one of the last.

Katesdad
If you've chosen to go on a cruise ship, then your argument about being worried about being in close proximity to people is already invalid. This is for safety's sake and is just a few minutes of everyone's time.

It's a bummer, but I get it. I do wish they would make exceptions for those who have cruised frequently/recently, as it is very repetitive and doesn't seem to increase safety materially in those situations.

Other cruise lines are not, YET. But will be. It's the law that was modified because of covid. The other protocols brought about because of covid have been phased out, this is just one of the last.

Exactly. It's a cost/benefit analysis.

Over the past year and a half, the perceived cost of having a lot of people gathered in a small space was greater than the benefit of having passengers well-prepared for an emergency, because emergency evacuations are rare. So DCL and other lines changed to process to avoid the gathering, knowing it could have a slight negative effect on safety.

Now that the perceived cost of people gathering together has decreased, DCL apparently believes it is below the benefit of having all passengers and crew go through the process of finding their muster stations in a short time. Those who are still uncomfortable with being in a small space can wear masks for the duration of the drill, which may decrease the risk.

It's a bummer, but I get it. I do wish they would make exceptions for those who have cruised frequently/recently, as it is very repetitive and doesn't seem to increase safety materially in those situations.

I understand that the marginal value of having passengers go through the process more than once over a few months is negligible, but it's easier to require it of everyone than to sort out who should be excluded -- what if some people in a cabin cruised in the past month but some cruised a year or two ago? What if parents have cruised recently but kids haven't (or vice versa)?

I understand that the marginal value of having passengers go through the process more than once over a few months is negligible, but it's easier to require it of everyone than to sort out who should be excluded -- what if some people in a cabin cruised in the past month but some cruised a year or two ago? What if parents have cruised recently but kids haven't (or vice versa)?
For any normal company, it would be a simple program to write. Disney checks if you have sailed with them within 18 months, if so, you are assigned the e-version. If anyone in your room hasn't, your entire room must report to the drill. The program shows on your TV (like now) at a time when it can correspond to the warning sound that those in the live drill will hear too. The app could clearly tell you which version is assigned to your room with instructions on how to proceed.

Then again, this is Disney IT we are talking about, so it probably would be too difficult for them. In the end, it really isn't that big of a deal. At worst, it's 15-30 minutes in a tight crowd in the warm sun. We will survive. In the past, it just meant I was at the start of a fantastic week and I never really thought twice about it.

Fortunately, Disney didn't have any emergencies requiring the wearing of life vests during the pandemic. But, very few people stopped and paid attention to the mandatory safety drill message when it was broadcast across the ship. At least during the drills, they have everybody's attention. I don't mind them.

They don’t have everyone’s attention, look around so many end up on their phones. Kids are bouncing around , and so on. Just because a person is in front of you doesn’t mean they are paying attention.

In the end the ones that want to be informed will be and the ones that don’t care still wont be.

But that could also have happened during covid. There is no reason to believe that other cruiselines care less about safety or that guests on other lines pay more attention to in-room muster drills.

It is theater, because in case of panic people forget instructions anyway. There is a reason why in a plane they demonstrate how to unbuckle, because people forget when they panic. When there is an incident you are better off with well trained staff who remain calm, than focussing on explaining something 99% have forgotten the moment the drill is over.

People will forget their muster station or how to get there. If something happens run to the nearest CM and ask what to do. He will ask you to look at your keycard and tell you how to get there.

100% agree with this!

They don’t have everyone’s attention, look around so many end up on their phones. Kids are bouncing around , and so on. Just because a person is in front of you doesn’t mean they are paying attention.

In the end the ones that want to be informed will be and the ones that don’t care still wont be.

I agree. In the end, the app version worked the same way. For those who wanted to be informed would have watched the video and checked in at their muster station with the whole family to make sure they all know where to go regardless of whether they've done this a million times.

And the ones who don't care, won't. Forcing these people to do something they don't want to do affects everyone else.

I agree that the "normal" lifeboat drill can be an inconvenience however I think it is an absolute necessity for passengers specifically people who have never cruised or who are sailing on a new ship like the Wish for the first time. Everyone in the stateroom has to go not like with the "Covid" drill where 1 or 2 people from the stateroom would go down and take a picture of the sign. Also I myself pay more attention with an actual person in front of me demonstrating what to do than half paying attention to a video in the stateroom. It also gives you a chance to see who is in your lifeboat that possibly may need assistance in a real situation. When I was in the Navy we drilled constantly at sea, the big difference with Navy abandon ship drill was we wrote with grease pen on our forearms the distance and bearing to nearest land, friendly or not friendly. So put me in the before Covid drill is a must category.

I agree that the "normal" lifeboat drill can be an inconvenience however I think it is an absolute necessity for passengers specifically people who have never cruised or who are sailing on a new ship like the Wish for the first time. Everyone in the stateroom has to go not like with the "Covid" drill where 1 or 2 people from the stateroom would go down and take a picture of the sign. Also I myself pay more attention with an actual person in front of me demonstrating what to do than half paying attention to a video in the stateroom. It also gives you a chance to see who is in your lifeboat that possibly may need assistance in a real situation. When I was in the Navy we drilled constantly at sea, the big difference with Navy abandon ship drill was we wrote with grease pen on our forearms the distance and bearing to nearest land, friendly or not friendly. So put me in the before Covid drill is a must category.
I brought up in another thread that the Cruise line known for having the highest family/children count is also the one that needs to be even more vigilant about emergency preparedness.

I'm in the same boat even though I will miss the convenience of the app version.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter