Why do people care where we go on vacation?

DisneyMomJen

DIS Veteran
I grew up going to Disney once every year since it opened. My DH and I have taken our 4 kids there pretty much every year. Since we bought into DVC in 2004 we have gone twice each year for the past 3 years. I have traveled the world and we have done other vacations with our kids such as the beach,

So, does anyone else have to deal with anything similar and why do you think people care where we go on vacation and make these comments?
I can assure you, you are not alone! Many, many people have posted on this board how people react to their going to WDW by saying..."AGAIN???"

Personally, I think that many, many people think WDW is a chore more than a fun time. It is something to do with the kids so they can say they went once. People don't read up on it, don't use FP or EMH and then complain loudly that WDW is the biggest ripoff in the world.

For those people, they will never comprehend that adults would want to return there time and again.

For others, WDW is "just a couple of theme parks" and can't see repeat vacations to theme parks. After all, once you've seen them and done the rides that's it, right? Again, they don't understand all that WDW has to offer.

My response, as suggested by many on this board, is to counter with " Are you going to the beach/lake/skiing/golfing/etc vacation AGAIN???" Once I use that phrase (only on the annoying ones) they tend to back off. :)

What really gets me is what you alluded to in your post...
I have dealt with a DSIL who constantly makes fun of us and our trips, but then will beg us to take her two children with us since she feels bad for them.
I'm sure you grin and bear it, but I'd tell SIL (doesn't deserve the "D" in front of that) to have fun on her vacation. You know you will on yours! :)

Okay, I'm intrigued! Who was on your plane?

why do you think people care where we go on vacation and make these comments?

I would also add, why in turn do we care?

As to where we vacation, we tend to generalize our answer. If we are going to WDW, we usually just say Florida if asked. We spend FAR more time in Maine than we do in WDW but if there is ever a comment, it's about Disney. No one ever says, "Maine again!"

Don't take it personally. People say things for a variety of reasons (some good, some bad). As long as you and your family are happy, then that should be all that matters.

HBC

I agree also, I can't really tell a hole lot of people becaue they think we are crazy. I am only 23 and my wife is 21 so I think everyone thinks we should be going to spring break locations like mexico, but I did all that in high school and college. We love disney and just closed on our contract the 4th of Jan. So we are very excited. I just say flordia so people I don't care to discuss it with. :thumbsup2

Let them say what they want, just go and enjoy yourself. They will be the one's missing out.

I don't think you should take these comments to heart. Afterall, you don't have to defend your choice of vacation destinations to anyone.

When asked, "again?", just say, "Yeah. We really love it and always have a great time." If they continue to comment either ignore them or tell them you understand it's not for everyone.

If she feels bad because she can't afford to take her children then that explains some of the comments. If she can afford the trip the next time she asks you to take her children give her the phone number and suggest she call and make ressies for her whole family because they would probably enjoy it as a family.

Just don't waist any time worrying what other people think if you're happy with your life and not hurting anyone.

I'm so glad you wrote this post, because I have been getting so much grief about our Disney trips lately, too, mostly from family. My mother constantly refers to my "addiction" and other family members ask why would we go again...and so soon after the last trip. (We went 10/2005, 12/2005, 3/2006, 5/2006, 10/2006, 12/2006).

Well, we are lucky enough to live in Florida. Disney is only four hours away from home and we have the very economical FL Resident Seasonal Passes. (Can't beat them!). Plus...I LOVE IT THERE! I loved Disney as a kid and I love it as a grown woman. I have swayed my Islands of Adventure/Universal-loving husband to love Disney, too. And, my kids are also huge Disney lovers.

I have decided that I don't care what these people say anymore. When I walk down Main Street and see Cinderella castle I am in my home away from home. That feeling is worth all of the jibes. If they don't feel the Disney magic like I do, then I feel sorry for them. :wizard:

It's a good thing we haven't told any family members that we own at BWV. I'm pretty sure they'd all want to go to Disney then....using our points, of course! ;)

Wow! LovtheDis...wish I could go as much as you!!

Today I wore my DVC jacket to the office and a lot of people know I'm going back HOME on Friday!! No one ever bothers me about it, I guess they know how much I love it. No secrets. They also know who to ask for WDW advice. ;)

It's funny, my DB and DSIL never went until they had kids. Now they've been there twice and are planning to go again REAL soon. Now we don't seem sooooo crazy. :rotfl2: :crazy:

DMJen and others who get grief:

I'm 46, my wife is 48, and we've been on 5 Disney cruises, just bought 116 more points, and I think we've been at WDW 6 times... not sure on the number; I've lost count.

Honestly, I don't really recall any of our friends giving us grief (several of them have travelled with us!) and family? Well, some go by themselves, and some have travelled with us, too! However... if someone says something to you, you can either be nasty and say "Why? Jealous?" or you can just shrug and say "Hey, we like it there" and change the subject.

Personally, I vote for the second option. My wife and I always make our own way - we've done things like historical re-enactment, spending time on the Freedom Trail in Boston, and other non-standard vacation things, and frankly I don't have time to listen to what criticism others may have of our choices. I just shrug and tell whoever that it's our choice, and we had a blast.

GO to Disney! ENJOY it! It's a great place to have fun; and you don't have to be a kid (my wife and I do NOT have children, but we babysat our niece & nephew while my SIL & BIL had fun at WDW one evening) to enjoy it, either!

In fact, another nephew is getting married next year - he doesn't know it yet, but we're giving him & his lovely fiancee a trip to Disney as a wedding present. I hope that they go for their honeymoon... I want pix of them wearing mouse ears. :)

Ross the dwarven one.

Okay, I'm intrigued! Who was on your plane?HBC

This was last August 16th which if anyone remembers was, the day that there was some terrorist threat that was prevented which had to do with planes flying from London (I think it was London) and which started the whole 'no liquids on the plane'. We had a 7:30 Am flight. After we go through airport security, my husband asks me if I saw the 'terorist type' men who were looking at the flight schedule screens the same time as us. I did not notice, but was so thankful that they were not waiting at our gate for our flight. A little while later, who shows up? These same 3 men and they chose to separate in the seating area where they could have easily sat together in a number of different locations at the gate. One sat right across from me and opens a laptop. I try to inconspicuously walk by to see what he is doing. The second time I got up to check, he quickly closed his email. They were just acting really weird in a number of different ways. We just rented the movie Flight 93 over Christmas Break and both my husband and I say that the 3 men that were on our plane looked and acted like the terrorists in this movie. When it came time to board the plane, they again went to board separately. After everything that had been going on, I was refusing to board the plane. My husband says, let's go right behind one of them in line which was at the end of the boarding line. I point out the man in front of me and what the other two were wearing to a security woman who is checking for liquids before you entered the plane. She does not seem overly concerned. Next is an airport security woman who I feel I know since she had helped us a couple of different times with directions and tagging our stroller. I whisper to her "Are there air marshalls on this plane?" She says that they are not allowed to say anything. I explain to her what has been going on. We board the plane and I am terrified. The airport security woman then comes on and talks to a stewardess. They act like they are counting passengers, and get on and off the plane a few times. The flight was delayed about a half an hour, I think due to checking these men out somehow. Finally the airport security woman comes back on, looks around again and gives me the thumbs up sign. The plane takes off. We are on Jet Blue so everyone has a TV. What comes on midway through the flight? Jet Fighters landing a plane from London into Boston to what might be terrorism. You can see alot of people getting worried on our flight especially with these men on board. When it came out on CNN that it was a woman having a panic attack or something, everyone on the plane started laughing, but you could tell it was relief. After the flight we laughed about the situation and I still do, but it was pretty scarey.

We get this alot too. DH's and my first vacation together was to WDW so it holds a special place in our hearts. There weren't too many comments when the children were little, but I noticed more comments as they grew older and now that our kids are grown and we're on our own again some people just can't imagine that we'd *still* want to go to WDW. I've given up trying to explain to those people. As some one said here the other day, "If you have to ask, you'll never understand..." :confused3

that many of the people who banter you about your multiple WDW trips are the first to ask your imput on planning theirs???;) They want to know all my "secrets". I try not to give too many of them away and let them read for themselves. Learn like I did!!!!!

I say, when they pay my bills (or my maintenance fees for that matter) they don't get a say in how I spend my hard earned vacation time.

When was the last "perfect" vacation they had? I have been to WDW probably 50 times since Dec. '71 and I cannot remember a "bad" experience. And, if there was a problem, it was solved and/or compensated quickly and painlessly.... 'nuf said!:thumbsup2

My mil recently said to me, "You never go on vacation anywhere, but Disney." Not true, I reminded her. We also go to the beach once a year, and then listed where all we've traveled. Meanwhile - in the 15 years of my marriage they have only taken 5 trips - 3 to Las Vegas and 2 to Disney.
I don't say to her how I think it is a total waste of money to gamble and how Las Vegas is of no interest to me.

My coworkers are always like "AGAIN?" and my sibs just don't get it. I decided for now on, if people ask, I'll just say I'm going to Florida - or tell them nothing. We haven't even told any of our family we bought into DVC.

And yes - everyone always wants Disney advice for their trip. Well guess what! Their trip can never be like ours if it is their first or first in a while, especially if they are only going 3 or 4 days. We can go at a leisurely pace and not stress about lines or getting everything done because we always know when our next trip will be and that we can catch whatever we miss then.

In Minnesota people spend 7-8 hours EVERY weekend driving back and forth up north to their cabins in the summer lugging their boats and equipment. I think a weekend or two is fun but every weekend :rolleyes: The gas is expensive and and the upkeep, etc. I don't ask them why they do it - I just assume it works well for them and they enjoy it.

Give me a week at Disney anytime! We don't tell many people - we just say we're going to Florida. :) I don't know exactly where their cabins are ;)

Put me in the group that says, "we're going to Florida." Plus, when I say we have a timeshare, I don't usually elaborate that it's DVC, unless pressed.

I live very close to Disneyland and have an annual pass. Some of my friends at work tend to tease me about how much we go to DL. What I found funny is that my friend (who's way cool and was a good natured teaser) just got an AP before New Years, and wanted to go back to DL this past Sunday. She "admitted" that she got why we would go so much. You don't have to be a Disney fanatic to enjoy what DL and WDW have to offer...

I used to get that from family a lot too. I'm just not a beach person (have dealt with skin cancer three times already) so just as they can't see the appeal of going to Disney again, I can't see how it's much fun laying on a beach for a week. I would go out of my mind with boredom. So they may roll their eyes when they hear I'm going back to Disney, but I'm also secretly rolling my eyes at them when they're going on and on about how excited they are to go back to Aruba :teeth:

Mostly it's Disney envy, I think. Plus, it's fashionable to dis Disney. I must confess until I went with my sister, bil and kids a couple of years ago, I didn't get it either. Why on earth did they need a time-share condo at WDW?

Those days are long gone. I'm a single middle-aged woman and I have my own DVC ownership and am working on my third trip to my home since I bought in last January. I love Disneyworld and all it offers. Parks all day? Great. A day w/o parks? There's plenty to do. By owning, I don't HAVE to do everything in a finite period of time. Whatever it is, it'll be there next time. That's the best part of going back frequently. People who go get it; people who don't don't.

I never worry about my eye-rolling, snarky-commenting co-workers and friends. My choice is my choice. My ability to afford the DVC is among the reasons why I work.

Kat:tigger:

A lot of people don't realize how much there is to do in Orlando. Number 1, the weather is terrific pretty much most of the year. And for us, it's very economical to fly into Orlando price wise. And then you add in the terrific resorts in Orlando, theme parks, shopping, and golf, and you've got an outstanding warm place to go to get away from cold Indiana winters. A 1 hour and 50 minute flight and we're there. :)

We've gotten this type of "attitude" a few times. Most are just single comments that I explain away with "Yup, we really love it and the kids do, too".

But for the couple of particularly annoying, particularly long winded, and particularly frequent commentors, my response is more like this, now:

"Yup, we love it. And, until someone else is footing the bill for our vacation, we'll go where we like to go. Hey...if you're buying for our next trip, just let me know where we're going!!"

That has had a 100% success rate, by the way (In eliminating the snide comments...not, unfortunately, in getting them to pay for our next vacation. :) )

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter