Why do people care where we go on vacation?

When people make comments to me I simply tell them when they start signing the check for my vacations I will take interest in their comments.

Two of my four DDs are currently CMs at WDW, one full-time, one in the College Program. We love Disney, thank you. Santa brought us DVC points and we are thrilled about it. My mom has been to WDW several times with us in the past few years and just got back from delivering CP DD and all her stuff. She enjoys WDW herself, so I was SHOCKED when discussing our upcoming trip, she asked me "The Question". :sad2: Now, we, too, have been to Williamsburg (and are heading back after WDW) and other places, but we have no interest in going to Europe (or anywhere else) right now. NOW is when our younger DDs are sponges, soaking up the magic and bringing us joy. I grew up in Europe and we travelled extensively, but it was one huge field trip. I appreciate how much I learned, but I *longed* for a visit to WDW and didn't make it until my 18th birthday, so I'm making up for lost time.

What I did to answer "The Question" was to pull up a photo of my DDs from our November trip that had my Aspergers/selective mutism DD with the hugest, grinniest, laughingest smile on her face playing with Chip at LTT. I simply said, "That's why." I was also inspired by someone on another board to make a mini photo album (which I'm doing this week after the ice melts) that has photos for the following captions:

Why We Go to Walt Disney World:

To see one man's dream
To enjoy the pure happiness in a child's eyes
To hear my daughters laughter
To be with my ohana
To capture precious memories
To soar
To meet a princess
To *BE* a princess
To see THAT smile
To live, feel, and breathe --- Magic

If that doesn't convince the naysayers, it will at least remind ME and give me the confidence to ignore their ignorant comments.

PLain and simple......
we get this from time to time and I simply say....
"where else can a family with a 13 year old and 4 year old twins go, where everyone will have a good time and no one will complain that there is nothing to do. If I spend my time and $ on a vacation, I dont want any complaints from the kids.

:confused3

Every one of us gets the same remarks. I just say "tradition" :) or "because we can" :yay: or "because I want the kids to remember me fondly when it is time to pick out my nursing home" :wave2: or any smart remark I can come up with on the spot :joker: because I will not let their negativity amount to anything I should take seriously.
I think it happens because they had a negative WDW experience and don't want to believe that it was probably their own fault because they didn't bother to do any research or planning beforehand. They would rather think we are crazy than that they messed up.

People say things like that to me at work all the time. They say things like "I was there once 15-20 years ago, and I don't see what the big deal is." It's impossible to explain the Magic to anyone, either they get it or they don't. I try to tell them how you just feel like it's a place that feels like there are no worries and everyone around you is just as happy as you are. pixiedust:

Oh well, at least we have each other.;)

Some people like sports, and I can't figure out what the big deal is about a guy hitting a ball with a stick!:lmao:

We used to cruise 2-3 times a year and Disney every 2 years, then we went to Disney about 5 years ago and it had major improvements in the restaurants, hotels, and Parks or maybe I just noticed. Now, we are starting to get this comment, going again? I can only say, that they have not been in a while or never and do not understand. I am now a DVC owner and just love going. Just Christmas, my daughters MIL made the comment that we went to much, she is a Flordia Res. and never goes. We used to ask them to meet us there, they live 50 miles away, but they have never showed. Every trip we make, I do different things, I really try not to do the same things on each trip and we still have not experience it all. This is what amazes me!! We go to Hawaii, The Carribean, We have our favorite islands, but again I like to try different ones, we still come back to Disney.

On the day, that other people start paying for my trips, then they can tell me where I can go and I may be interested in listening to them. I sure would not take someone else's children with me on a Disney trip. They can't know how much it would cost you to take them, and then keeping up with them in the crowds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter