why do people look at me funny....

My Foster kid has a t-shirt that says "I'm Autistic whats your disability? I ask because if keeps me from thinking your just a _____." He loves that it just has the blank so it sinks to the readers level. I have not decided it we will pack that shirt for WDW trip or not.

I get this in uk i jump out the car my mum does and few times someone comes over gives earfull about using disabled parking spaces .

I do find opening the boot and asking if they want to help lift my sons wheelchair out.Soon makes them go all quiet .In our cases think people forget taht kids can be wheelchair users to.

The best bit is to just ignore them .Now if someone could tell my dd to do that becuase at 8 she will quite happily lecture someone if they start point gesture at he rlittle brother

WOW!! This thread is kind of starting to get me nervous about our upcoming trip. My DH disability is not visable and although we did not receive any rude comments last trip I did see a couple of dirty looks. I hope noone has the nerve to say anything rude about or to to my DH because he will get rude back. :eek: I can just picture him now pulling up his shirt showing everyone in line why he has a GAC :scared1:

:hug:Jonell, think of the folks that caused problems in classrooms when we were kids.You know the ones that picked on younger kids at recess and picked on/bullied anyone they could they could, well they grew up and most grew out of that behavior.So the number of great people you run into everyday generally outnumber the rotten.On vacation you may run into these people but they will be out numbered.I told my kids that if folks stare at us on vacation it just they may not have seen a family like ours before.(at home people know us and know we use power chairs)My Foster kid asked me this morning IF he could us a manual wheelchair on vacation so he could blend in with the rest of our kids.:rolleyes1

Go have fun, remember alot of us are talking about things that happen to us in the real world not our happy place.

WOW!! This thread is kind of starting to get me nervous about our upcoming trip. My DH disability is not visable and although we did not receive any rude comments last trip I did see a couple of dirty looks. I hope noone has the nerve to say anything rude about or to to my DH because he will get rude back. :eek: I can just picture him now pulling up his shirt showing everyone in line why he has a GAC :scared1:

Jonell, really "brat" is correct. In the seven years since my son had his feet amputated, we have only dealt with 2 REALLY rude people and only one of those was at Disney and he was a cast member. But technically, in the cast members defense he was following the "letter of the law". Most people (especially at Disney) are very understanding and very patient, those that are not understanding at Disney are probably not very understanding anywhere and there is nothing you can do about that.

We have a GAC for one of my daughters. Her disability is not readily visable to people, and we too have received our share of stares. It doesn't stop me from using her pass though. I would rather use it and have people stare, than be in the middle of a cue when she has a seizure.

We got a GAC for our 2 year daugther when we went for her birthday trip. We were going to use it on our single stroller (we had a single for our 3 year old & a double for the girls) but the cast member who gave it to us insisted that if Rachel prefered the double stroller to use that one instead. She even wrote "double stroller as wheelchair" under the stamp and got her manger to sign next to it to show it was OKAY.

You would NOT believe how many people gave us dirty looks & made comments "strollers aren't allowed in here" "what makes you special". I fianlly had it when we were at Hollywood Studios they have the character blding next to the Play House Disney show and we had our stroller in line to see Lotso. I turned around and replied 'I'm sorry that my daugther has a rare medical condition that makes her unable to walk. I'm sorry that her needing extra help to enjoy her day is making you unable to enjoy yours." The lady quickly looked away and no one else in line said anything to us.

Bottom line is if you need it then don't be ashamed to us it. If someone is really giving you a hard time I say give them one back... But that's just me.

My Foster kid has a t-shirt that says "I'm Autistic whats your disability? I ask because if keeps me from thinking your just a _____." He loves that it just has the blank so it sinks to the readers level. I have not decided it we will pack that shirt for WDW trip or not.

I was thinking of buying one of those shirts for my DS9 but I really don't think he understands that he has autism. We have had the "big" talk with him about it. I think the shirt would be ultimately for our benefit, a way to explain his behavior to strangers without having to actually explain...and WHY do we have to explain? :sad2:
We don't and I won't. ;)

We decided to make the kids some new t shirts to bring with on the trip.We are doing shirts with the kids disabiliy on the shirt.The letters just happen to be cut out of Disney fabric:rolleyes1

I am thinking of doing one with "Autistic" in his fav good guys and "naughty" in villans.

Thank you Atmooney. I am not much of a sewer but cutting out letters and sewing a satin stitch around them my older kids and I can do.

I have to use a cane my left leg goes out alot now spider vanes and varicose vanes and holes people stair all the time like last time one kid just kept looking at that leg while I was waiting for snow whites adventure and asked does it hurt I told him it does only when I think about it but normally I don't think about it so still having a cane does help except the stairs and some ramps not all I am super happy about the gac it does help in some stances

I have to use a cane my left leg goes out alot now spider vanes and varicose vanes and holes people stair all the time like last time one kid just kept looking at that leg while I was waiting for snow whites adventure and asked does it hurt I told him it does only when I think about it but normally I don't think about it so still having a cane does help except the stairs and some ramps not all I am super happy about the gac it does help in some stances

I'm glad to hear that atleast someone had the compassion to ask..and not just stare!

We also get those stares. My DS is 12 and we rent a wheelchair for him. He has a hip condition and he is able to walk but the amount of walking done at Disney causes him a lot of pain. We get the stares because sometimes he jumps out of the chair and walks like nothing is wrong. We also get a GAC to use when he is having a bad day. He has Tourettes, adhd and sensory issues and sometimes he can't handle the long lines. I don't mind waiting my turn. When my son is having really bad tics from the tourettes we get those looks. Last year when we were at dinsey he was having really bad vocal tics and people would just look and mumble. It took everything in me not to say anything, do these people really think that he had nothing else better to do then to clear his throat over and over again. I have learned to ignore people. I just wish sometimes they would ask what is wrong instead of assuming. I would love to explain and educate people. Michelle

:hug:Mish
I think you may have been in line with my Brother and SIL.SIL complained to me after her trip about some lid clearing his throat the whole time they were in line(she drives me nuts at home assuming things about people and complaining about them getting services they do not need, yet is the first to want more for herself).We have tried to educate her but sadly she still is the way she is and I am sorry if she took away any of the Magic for your family.My Brother told me that her comments have caused many a disagreement between them. She is the reason my Mom rarely sees my Brother:sad2:,because she misses seeing him more.

I am thinking of making a deck of cards that explain each of our families disablities. When a comment gets under someones skin the card can teach instead of me.I already have printed some thank you cards to give those whe help us enjoy the Magic.

Thought I would jump in. As an educator who has worked with children with special needs all of her life, I find the reaction of people interesting. On more than one class trip I have met some wonderful, understanding people and on others, some people who weren't that way. I always chalk it up to their loss. :goodvibes
Anyway, re the t-shirts comments, if you go to the creative DISign forum you will find some people who make "things" that are appropriate for children with special needs. Natalie (a recent DISigner) has two children with Autisum and has made some really cool shirts for her kids. In addition, people have made some great wheelchair ID tags, stroller tags and could easily take on any project you might have. Feel free to stop in and see us and good luck with your trips. As someone who nows has to use an ECV due to bad back problems, COPD and a few other medical issues, I know about the stares, but an ECV helps me enjoy my favorite place on earth. :banana:Penny

We have been to Florida many times and yes people have looked and said things about Joshua.
He cannot talk and is autistic.

I agree that you have to ignore what other people think and just enjoy your holiday, you have every right to be there just as they do.

I can also sympathise that's it's not always easy to ignore, I accept I have stared at a few people in the past and even exchanged words with a CM once, who clearly just didn't understand or respect our situation.

Stay in 'your own zone' and just concentrate on having a good time. :)

My DD is 12, has aspergers, ocd, adhd, capd... and on and on. you know how that goes... Someone asked once that card was for and why our daughter was allowed to get on quicker without the wait.. I explained and she turned around and told me How Lucky I was and she wished her kids had autism too!@@ I wish people like that a day in my shoes... but I wouldn't trade my DD for anything.. I am lucky to have her...

People can be just plain stupid.. they never cease to amaze me!

Our son, who will be 3 on Friday (in Disney World, yay!) has an extremely rare chromosome abnormality (he is the only one in the world with his chromosomal translocation that they have found). As a result, he is able to walk some but is weak and not able to stand or walk for long periods (nor can we hold him). We have a GAC for stroller as a wheelchair, and in line for Pooh the people behind us were muttering sarcastically about us not knowing the stroller rules. My husband turned around and said, "Our son isn't able to walk well, he has a rare genetic condition." Their mouths dropped and I chatted with them and gave them a high level 411 on DS. Maybe it also helped that DS is an extremely adorable and charming child who grinned, waved hi, and signed thank you when they complimented his shirt (he is non-verbal), but they ended up being nice, and I like to think they learned a little lesson in tolerance. Sometimes people truly don't know, and I think many of us might look askance if we weren't touched by this sort of situation in our own lives. I hope they came away with a new understanding.

Although don't people notice the cast members guarding the entrance showing everyone the stroller parking? Does anyone really think we are sneaking past them without a good reason? :lmao:

I have an older brother who is mentally handicapped, and my mother used to tell us "who's the retarded one?" (mind you, this is no longer pc, but my beloved bro. Mike is 60 so we are "old school.")

I also have a nephew with Down Syndrome, my DS19 is an Aspie and I work at an autism therapy school. Sure, these children are different and challenging at times, but when you get a smile the clouds part and the sun shines!!

I am sorry for the ignorance in the world, but there is a reason you were chosen for this "challenge"... :hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter