Why does DCL allow smoking?

I was actually just having this conversation with my husband last night as he is a cigar smoker and would love to sit back and relax on the verandah with a cigar in hand looking out onto the ocean. But he had heard you cant smoke on the verandah. So I guess that's not true, which he'll be happy about but I never even thought of it going into other people's rooms! Do they have designated smoking areas onboard?

I was actually just having this conversation with my husband last night as he is a cigar smoker and would love to sit back and relax on the verandah with a cigar in hand looking out onto the ocean. But he had heard you cant smoke on the verandah. So I guess that's not true, which he'll be happy about but I never even thought of it going into other people's rooms! Do they have designated smoking areas onboard?

From DCL's website:

Question
Where can I smoke on board?
Answer
Disney Cruise Line has never allowed smoking in Guest staterooms. In addition, smoking is prohibited in all interior spaces throughout our ships. In an effort to provide a cruise experience that satisfies both our non-smoking and smoking Guests, smoking (including the use of electronic cigarettes) is only permitted in designated areas of the ship.

On the Disney Magic and Disney Wonder, smoking is permitted on:

Stateroom verandahs
Outdoors on Deck 4 starboard side from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. only
The starboard side open-air decks 9 and 10 (excluding the Mickey Pool area).

On the Disney Dream and Disney Fantasy, smoking is permitted on:

Stateroom verandahs
Deck 4 port side, aft, the outside Promenade Deck from 6:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m.
Deck 12 port side, aft, the outdoor area that is accessible through the Meridian Lounge
Deck 13 port side, forward, by Currents Bar

Guests who are found smoking in their staterooms will be charged a $250 stateroom recovery fee. This fee covers deep cleaning that includes air filter replacement, carpet extraction and the cleaning and replacement of drapes, comforters, blankets and pillows.

Due to differences in size and the availability of some services while out at sea, our policies will sometimes differ slightly from similar ones at the Walt Disney World Resort. We have carefully considered which areas of our ships to designate as smoking and non-smoking, and we do periodically review our policies to ensure continued Guest satisfaction.

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faqs/health-safety/smoking/

Never mind, jilljill beat me.

Thank you!
Not that I would ever plan on breaking the rules but what if the smoke from the balcony blows into our room and makes it smell as if we'd been smoking in the room? I wouldn't want to be wrongfully accused. In other words, how would anyone ever know if you smoked in the room? I hope there's not cameras in there!! That would be creepy!! LOL!!

I hate to bring this thread back up to the top, but our company just announced a new policy that has me thinking about this thread:

New this year! Tobacco-use verification
To avoid paying an additional $50 per person each month for 2014 medical plan benefits, you need to verify by Dec. 3, 2013, that you and/or your covered spouse or eligible domestic partner does not use tobacco products. If you verify that you and/or your covered spouse or eligible domestic partner has used tobacco products in the past six months, and do not satisfy a reasonable alternative or receive a physician waiver by Dec. 3, 2013, you will pay an additional $50 monthly per person contribution for 2014 medical benefits. To complete the tobacco-use verification and to learn more, visit the Your Benefits Resources website.

They are going to charge up to $100 a month if you and your spouse smoke! The policy says you can be fired for lying too. They won't charge you if you're a smoker who is enrolled in a program to quit. We're all joking it'll be too much soda drinking next year :rotfl2:

I hate to bring this thread back up to the top, but our company just announced a new policy that has me thinking about this thread:

New this year! Tobacco-use verification
To avoid paying an additional $50 per person each month for 2014 medical plan benefits, you need to verify by Dec. 3, 2013, that you and/or your covered spouse or eligible domestic partner does not use tobacco products. If you verify that you and/or your covered spouse or eligible domestic partner has used tobacco products in the past six months, and do not satisfy a reasonable alternative or receive a physician waiver by Dec. 3, 2013, you will pay an additional $50 monthly per person contribution for 2014 medical benefits. To complete the tobacco-use verification and to learn more, visit the Your Benefits Resources website.

They are going to charge up to $100 a month if you and your spouse smoke! The policy says you can be fired for lying too. They won't charge you if you're a smoker who is enrolled in a program to quit. We're all joking it'll be too much soda drinking next year :rotfl2:

Yup, and next will be alcohol, then caloric intake, prescription meds and non-prescription meds, wood stove in the house, and radon gas in the basement.

Yup, and next will be alcohol, then caloric intake, prescription meds and non-prescription meds, wood stove in the house, and radon gas in the basement.

A few years ago our company offered all smoking employees a quit smoking plan. Anybody who did not take us up on the offer was quickly looking for other employment. Medical plan costs did go down though and the remaining employees got better benefits. As for all of the other thinks mentioned in the quotes, they don't effect people in your immediate vicinity unlike smoking.

Why does DCL allow smoking on the verandhas? Is it a marketing ploy knowing that most if not all smokers will pay the extra money for a balcony? They get people that like balconies plus all the smokers booking balcony rooms. ugh!:confused3
Unfortunately, while most states have enacted a strict No-Smoking policy for public indoor venues, unless you live in California, smoking outdoors is not against any Federal or State laws. If Disney were to arbitrarily try to enforce a total no smoking policy, I believe they could be hit with discrimination lawsuits.

Personally, I was thrilled when they started the indoor no-smoking ban in the adult only areas of the ship. Now I can finally go to the shows and bars without hacking up part of a lung. :thumbsup2

Unfortunately, while most states have enacted a strict No-Smoking policy for public indoor venues, unless you live in California, smoking outdoors is not against any Federal or State laws. If Disney were to arbitrarily try to enforce a total no smoking policy, I believe they could be hit with discrimination lawsuits.

Personally, I was thrilled when they started the indoor no-smoking ban in the adult only areas of the ship. Now I can finally go to the shows and bars without hacking up part of a lung. :thumbsup2

Oh, I disagree that anyone could sue a business for not allowing smoking. The entire ship is a workplace, and many states do not allow smoking in anyone's work place. There are non-smoking ships, so it can't be 'illegal'. And the DCL ships aren't US registered, so they don't comply with all US laws.

I think we're heading toward non-smoking, just like airplanes and hotels and restaurants. Step by step.

Nancy

A few years ago our company offered all smoking employees a quit smoking plan. Anybody who did not take us up on the offer was quickly looking for other employment. Medical plan costs did go down though and the remaining employees got better benefits. As for all of the other thinks mentioned in the quotes, they don't effect people in your immediate vicinity unlike smoking.

I used to work for a company that that's what they did. They analyzed the health of the overall company and determined the best medical coverage. They offered programs for people to quit smoking as well as other health oriented classes. We found that these types of programs did help to decrease the cost of healthcare for the company overall as a lot of employees did participate in the programs that were offered for free. My job in the company wasn't that cool, I just entered all the data and produced reports...all.day.long. *headache*

Unfortunately it is sometimes the price to be paid for having a verandah, though it shouldn't be. Why doesn't DCL have stateroom sections that allow smoking on verandahs and post it? I, for one, would appreciate that as secondhand smoke really bothers me and I always worry that I'll have a heavy smoker in the next stateroom.

Thank you!
Not that I would ever plan on breaking the rules but what if the smoke from the balcony blows into our room and makes it smell as if we'd been smoking in the room? I wouldn't want to be wrongfully accused. In other words, how would anyone ever know if you smoked in the room? I hope there's not cameras in there!! That would be creepy!! LOL!!

Generally, the smoke from a person's verandah usually blows out toward sea, when the ship is moving. The odds of it coming into the next stateroom enough to leave a strong odor that you might be charged for are minimal.

Also, passengers are asked to NOT leave their verandah door open anyway. So if you only open the door to enter and exit, it shouldn't be a problem. If you're leaving the door open long enough to get that much smoke in your stateroom, then you're breaking a rule, while the smoker is not.

I can see both viewpoints. I also have health issues regarding smoke, and know I am taking a chance booking a verandah for one of our upcoming cruises. The cruise industry is not a snowflake... this issue exists everywhere - planes, restaurants, stores etc. Slowly but surely inside is becoming off limits everywhere, now you can't smoke within 50 feet of an opening either, which means in some cases there isn't even an awning to cover smokers if they wish to partake. I feel for them, I really do. Hopefully in 50 more years people just won't do it so much since it is inconvenient at best, otherwise we could all argue about it until we are red in the face. I do very much appreciate the fact that at least one cruiseline (I think) has smoking only on one side of the ship. That seems more fair than any system IMO, and I hope that DCL takes that into consideration themselves soon!

My husband is a smoker....I thought about picking him up some of those vapor cigs before the cruise next year. He always walks away to a smoking area at WDW and would never blow smoke in someones face. He even goes outside and out to his work shed when he smokes at home because I'm not a smoker and we have children that don't need to smell that either.

With all that said.....I've passed/been in line with/shared a bus or monorail with people who offend me with their perfume, or hair spray....or lack of deodorant. So if you have really bad asthma or allergies I'm sure being on vacation with any of those would bother you.....and sadly Disney can't police those either :(.

Again, sorry that non-smokers are bothered by this on Veranda's. I will be sure to mention that to my husband and he will attempt to make the trek to other smoking spots on the boat if his smoke seems to be blowing in their direction. I'll also see about those vapor cigs, while expensive....I don't think they stink do they?

A several month old thread???

:stir:

Apparently, someone was looking for information and did the right thing....they used the Search function rather than start a whole new thread.
Does it really matter???:confused3

My husband is a smoker....I thought about picking him up some of those vapor cigs before the cruise next year. He always walks away to a smoking area at WDW and would never blow smoke in someones face. He even goes outside and out to his work shed when he smokes at home because I'm not a smoker and we have children that don't need to smell that either.

With all that said.....I've passed/been in line with/shared a bus or monorail with people who offend me with their perfume, or hair spray....or lack of deodorant. So if you have really bad asthma or allergies I'm sure being on vacation with any of those would bother you.....and sadly Disney can't police those either :(.

Again, sorry that non-smokers are bothered by this on Veranda's. I will be sure to mention that to my husband and he will attempt to make the trek to other smoking spots on the boat if his smoke seems to be blowing in their direction. I'll also see about those vapor cigs, while expensive....I don't think they stink do they?

It does - if it is freshly applied. But generally people put it on and it fades, they don't spray again and again and again - the only time smoke bothers my allergies is when it is being actively done, or if someone's clothes/hair are covered in it. No one begrudges a smoke here and there on the balcony (well most of us don't) - its the chain smokers that make it hard for us and wish there was a way to guarantee they aren't the ones we share a wall with. :goodvibes

:worship::worship::worship:
I can't tell you how many times I've said that pretty soon, someone will want to hire the "Stink Police"....there are so many offensive and sickening odors.

Anyway, to answer your question about the E-Cigs....they don't have any odor at all. None. And no harmful fumes. The only thing I've found is that they aren't the best substitute for the real thing, but they will work in a pinch.
Note: Airlines do not allow use of the E-Cigs onboard. Why...I'm not sure, but I imagine that too many people would think they were real and cause an uproar. Rule breaker that I am, if I feel I absolutely need it, I'll go in the bathroom on a plane. There is NO smoke, so it doesn't smell and it doesn't set off the alarms.

It does - if it is freshly applied. But generally people put it on and it fades, they don't spray again and again and again - the only time smoke bothers my allergies is when it is being actively done, or if someone's clothes/hair are covered in it. No one begrudges a smoke here and there on the balcony (well most of us don't) - its the chain smokers that make it hard for us and wish there was a way to guarantee they aren't the ones we share a wall with. :goodvibes

LOL, sorry but this couldn't have been posted at a more appropriate time. Today of all days, we did see a boy spraying himself with one of those Axe sprays...and you could tell he already had 1/2 the bottle on. So yes....sometimes people do reapply LOL. I despise those Axe sprays.

He's definitely not a chain smoker.....and he goes out of his way to walk to smoking areas when we are out so I have no doubt he will do the same on the ship if our neighboring veranda has a problem with the smell (or again, he may just use the vapor cigs while on the veranda).

It's not that he enjoys smoking....he's addicted. He would never push that addiction on someone else, sorry your neighbors weren't made aware of your allergy in some way. They may have moved or curbed their need to smoke so much if they'd been told by a CM or something?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter