Why does disney raise prices during their busiest times???

kandb

DIS Veteran
I totally understand why disney should/would raise prices for their resorts during "busy season", like most hotels do, but I have a problem with them putting a "surcharge" on character buffets for certain times of the year. Do they do this just to get a few extra bucks out of the visitors?

kandb said:
I totally understand why disney should/would raise prices for their resorts during "busy season", like most hotels do, but I have a problem with them putting a "surcharge" on character buffets for certain times of the year. Do they do this just to get a few extra bucks out of the visitors?

Supply and demand. ;)

The answer is simple. They do it because they can. They know that at busy times people will still come in droves and pay top dollar for rooms and meals.

As mesaboy2 said, supply and demand. They know if it is really important to have a character buffet and someone is there during peak season, they will pay for it. Especially as they give guests access to characters without having to wait in extra long lines.

I guess you could also reason that they have to pay more employees at busy times?:confused3

I'm not sure how many business do do that! I work retail, and I know I don't get paid more on Black Friday than I do the rest of the year! And we really should!!:rotfl2:

I haven't read the whole thread, so I'll ask -- has anyone said, "because they can" yet?

Because they can. And people will pay it. When people stop paying, they'll stop raising prices.

I'm not sure how many business do do that! I work retail, and I know I don't get paid more on Black Friday than I do the rest of the year! And we really should!!:rotfl2:

i think many stores do hire more employees during that period...

They didn't say employees get paid more, they said more employees get paid.

Just like many resort areas, vacation destinations, etc., they all charge more during their "high" or busy season. That's why you can usually get a much better room rate in the off season.
Even the airlines are guilty of it. Just look at a calendar of ticket prices and watch them go up and down -- not just months but certain days.
Yeh, it's because they can get away with it.
I love Disney but there are things I won't pay extra for. :cool1:
However, we don't go to the parks when they're at their busiest either!

People need to vote with their wallets, instead of just saying, oh well I guess that's how much it costs so we'll pay it somehow. Some of these prices the last few years have gotten to be a bit absurd, especially the deluxe and moderate resort prices. Don't just take it people! March your little feet right over to Universal or someplace else when the prices are too high!

I suspect the surcharge is because there's more incidences of stiffing servers their tips. The restaurants then have to cover it to bring the servers' wages up to minimum.

Oops my bad. I thought it meant that they paid employees more during busy times of the year. Which would be nice.

That would be nice!

But yeah, I agree with PPs - supply and demand and the need for more employees per shift - which probably amounts to several hundred people (or even thousand people) more per shift. Factor in everything ranging from bus drivers to hotel employees to vendors to attraction CMs - the list could go on and on for the added expenses that comes with big crowds.

I haven't read the whole thread, so I'll ask -- has anyone said, "because they can" yet?

Because they can. And people will pay it. When people stop paying, they'll stop raising prices.

lol your reply was post #7, and you couldn't read the "whole thread"?

I suspect the surcharge is because there's more incidences of stiffing servers their tips. The restaurants then have to cover it to bring the servers' wages up to minimum.

Restaurants don't do that. (Do they? DS has been a server for a while, and DH works in the restaurant management industry, and I've never heard of this happening.) And I'm sure that the servers get paid well with the tips they do get, even after any stiffed tips.

People need to vote with their wallets, instead of just saying, oh well I guess that's how much it costs so we'll pay it somehow. Some of these prices the last few years have gotten to be a bit absurd, especially the deluxe and moderate resort prices. Don't just take it people! March your little feet right over to Universal or someplace else when the prices are too high!

:confused3

Enough people feel that they're not too high. They go to Disney because they want to. This is capitalism, LOL. Disney World is not a public service.

erincon23 said:
lol your reply was post #7, and you couldn't read the "whole thread"?

Restaurants don't do that. (Do they? DS has been a server for a while, and DH works in the restaurant management industry, and I've never heard of this happening.) And I'm sure that the servers get paid well with the tips they do get, even after any stiffed tips.

The restaurant is required by federal labor laws to ensure the server is receiving at least federal minimum wage after including their tips. It is not inconceivable that during especially busy times, a server could have a long enough run of staffers to impact their pay period & bring it up short. Also, consider that many servers who may be part time might be offered incentives to work additional shifts due to high volume. Those incentives are an additional expense over & above the employees wage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter