• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Why does Disney to "direct to video"

lcborn2run

Mouseketeer
Just curious..why are some films (ie Cinderella 2) released direct to video? I mean, most people purchase the dvd/tapes when released even having seen the filmi in theatres, right?

I'm curious from a business standpoint...

Thanks..

They do it when the quality (budget) of the movie is so low that they know it'll get horrible reviews and worse word of mouth. No sense wasting the $$$ on promotion and ads when tests show it'll be a big flop.

Disney makes a movie on the cheap, knowing they move video product.

Just my thoughts/opinions --
Disney direct to DVD/VHS releases are such bad quality Disney would be publicly ridiculed for releasing them in the theatres. Esp with their recent direct releases. They are pretty much a step above Saturday morning cartoons, often just splicing a triology of cartoons together.
Not typical, historical Disney quality. Good for kids or specific fans maybe. But that's about it.
Not to mention the cheap factor. ;)

$$$$$$

I think that the current Disney could care less about the reviews and the public ridicule. It’s all about the money. If Disney thought they could release Cin II and make as big a profit as they did with Direct to Video then they would do it. It's all about profit margins now. Remember Disney thinks of their movie studio as Factory now. (direct quote from a Disney Exec).

It takes a lot to support a film going to the theatres (marketing and all). You only want some many movies going to the theatres and the rest you do straight to video. That's why Piglet's Big Movie and Jungle Book II goes to the theatre and why Atlantis II goes straight to video. The ones that are three cartoon shows placed together are not really the type that would ever go to the theatres. If all of the video stuff went to the theatre first, it would really give less attention to each one.

Also, it costs a lot to make all those prints and distribute them to theaters. And theaters aren't going to devote screens to something that isn't going to sell tickets.

Besides, Cinderella 2, Tarzan and Jane, and Atlantis 2 were all made to be episodes of TV shows - they were formatted to fit your screen from the get-go.

At the risk of saying "ditto" - DITTO! My ex-roommate (who is now a network TV writer) use to work for Disney HomeVideo. The answer is exactly as stated above.

Poor quality story, poor quality animation, expend less in promotion dollars for maximum profit. Parents will shell out $$ for sub-standard (by critics and adult disney freak opinions) videos that will keep their kids entertained and quiet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter