• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Why does the Disney Channel rarely have Disney Parks stuff?

aristocatz

DIS Veteran
I don't get it:confused3

When I was a kid (1980's) & the Disney Channel was actually a great channel (no flames please!), they used to incorporate the parks into their network. I recall these clips in between shows with kids in either DLR or WDW interviewing people, as well as other ways to incorporate parks footage. It seems like a no-brainer to try to market the parks a bit into the channel. Kids LOVE WDW! Why not throw in a kid oriented WDW travel show so our little ones will then run to us begging for a WDW or DLR trip?? What an easy way to boost sales.

I just don't get why Disney wouldn't want to use their own network to advertise their own parks. A kid oriented documentary, a show that incorporates the parks, a commercial, little clips, anything???

I don't get it:confused3

When I was a kid (1980's) & the Disney Channel was actually a great channel (no flames please!), they used to incorporate the parks into their network. I recall these clips in between shows with kids in either DLR or WDW interviewing people, as well as other ways to incorporate parks footage. It seems like a no-brainer to try to market the parks a bit into the channel. Kids LOVE WDW! Why not throw in a kid oriented WDW travel show so our little ones will then run to us begging for a WDW or DLR trip?? What an easy way to boost sales.

I just don't get why Disney wouldn't want to use their own network to advertise their own parks. A kid oriented documentary, a show that incorporates the parks, a commercial, little clips, anything???

It's like MTV not having music anymore and it's really stupid! The programming for tweens etc...is completely redundant. They are all the same formula shows full of overactors! Now we have to rely on the Discover Channel specials to see what's up in the parks. Anyway, I LOVED WDW Inside Out. They have them on You Tube! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShCd6nQSMys

It's like MTV not having music anymore and it's really stupid! The programming for tweens etc...is completely redundant. They are all the same formula shows full of overactors! Now we have to rely on the Discover Channel specials to see what's up in the parks. Anyway, I LOVED WDW Inside Out. They have them on You Tube! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShCd6nQSMys

I LOVED Disney Channel in the 1980's. My parents paid for it at the time & honestly, I would be willing to pay for it now, if I thought it were any good. In the 80's they had programming that appealed for small children, tweens, and adults. I used to love to watch the Wonderful World of Disney (as did my parents), and the vintage cartoons, as well as park stuff (and run and beg my parents to plan a trip-what fantastic marketing!)

I don't get why they would put their documentaries on the Travel Channel & such & skip their own network????

What was WDW Inside Out? I"m about to check out the link tyou posted, but was it on the Disney Channel at one point?

Yes, it was on the Disney Channel in the early 90s. It was a series that was all about WDW. It was soooooo cool! It was on before I had ever been to WDW so I was glued to it every episode!

I used to watch 'Inside Out' as well. It was the only show that really gave you an "inside" look at the parks or just INSIDE the parks. Keep in mind that this was before the Internet was accessible and before YOUTUBE where you can see lots of vacation videos now.

I LIVED for Inside Out! Thanks for the awesome reminder of a great show.. And I agree with OP, I think it would be fantastic if Disney Channel had a programming geared towards the parks again! I'd watch as an adult.

They want people to buy Disney brand stuff at Wal-Mart and don't want to turn people off from the brand from waving something unfordable in front of their face all the time.

I really enjoyed the WDW Inside Out, too. That's the best thing they ever put on the Disney channel. I don't like anything they have on there now.

Ah, the good old days, when there were no commercials on the Disney Channel.

They want people to buy Disney brand stuff at Wal-Mart and don't want to turn people off from the brand from waving something unaffordable in front of their face all the time.

Exactly. The Disney channel lives or dies by advertising, not by the parks, and a lot of people are absolutely put off by seeing ads for places like WDW. Or Las Vegas, or Sandals, etc. Honestly? Those ads put ME off a little, and I love WDW.

I've been scanning the Disney channel lately, and have been disappointed also...

Granted I'm confident almost none, if not none, of their programming is targeting my age group, or maybe it's the time of day I catch it, but nothing has appealed to me...

I'm beginning the process of moving out west and have been debating on whether I should even purchase cable with the horrible programming. I would tho, be lost on nights such as tonight with the Stanley Cup Playoffs :D

I even watch my morning news on my tablet :)

But I miss Disney's One Saturday Morning Cartoons.... and the Goofy and Max shows... and sooo many more. But that 'Inside Out' program sounds like I missed a good one!

But I miss Disney's One Saturday Morning Cartoons.... and the Goofy and Max shows... and sooo many more. But that 'Inside Out' program sounds like I missed a good one!

Me too!

I didn't get the Disney Channel as a kid. We only got to see it during the free weekends they would have about once a season for basic cable subscribers. Remember those? For a weekend you get to see the best of Disney!

I can see the point of not advertising unaffordable things though. They just do it other ways. I recall a few years ago watching shows on the Travel Channel (I think?) about the making of Expedition Everest, Illuminations, etc., which really served as advertisement imo.

The travel channel, discovery channel, and even hgtv used to have Disney World and Land features more often...or so it seemed!

:wizard: <- maybe he'll help bring them back :)

sometimes I find myself watching the planning dvd's just to watch something about Disney again. I do think the internet and YouTube especially may have caused a lack of airings...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter