Why I Gave Up on Walt Disney World

I would have been so mad at that. In a thread where everyone talks about planning and planning and planning, to finally arrive, looking forward to a great time and finding the parks closing early every night would be a nightmare.

So sorry to hear about your experience. That really sucks.

And then what do you do for your evening? This is the frustrating part. Everything is so spread out. This is where your choice is to either pay up for extra hours or pay up for park hoppers to go to another park opened long. Then, you have to fight with crowds to get there. Where’s the magic?

I have to be honest, we did look at AKAH and didn't book it for one reason. Every review I read stated that before the park closes (regular hours) people hit the line at FOP which Disney then honours so everyone can ride it. If you've paid extra for AH (and it's not cheap) you still have to queue, usually in the FP queue - but it's not an empty park you're getting and with only 3 hours and lines for FOP usually exceeding that I may as well stay in AK, join the line at close and do what everyone else does without paying the AH cost.

There are no HSAH for December - for that I really would have got a ticket because my 2 favourite rides are there and RotR would be open. Alas, it's the one thing Disney aren't selling in December.
I did AK after hours and loved it. Did Everest 6 times, FoP 2, and everything else at least once in addition to Rivers of Light and snacks.

And then what do you do for your evening? This is the frustrating part. Everything is so spread out. This is where your choice is to either pay up for extra hours or pay up for park hoppers to go to another park opened long. Then, you have to fight with crowds to get there. Where’s the magic?

or just plan your days so that you are at a park that doesn't have a party for that day. We've never done a holiday party and just plan around it as we generally don't bother with park hoppers to save money. Just get like 4 or 5 day passes each trip and do one park a day and get done what we want in that park that day. Our upcoming trip we are likely to do the 4-park tickets to save even more

or just plan your days so that you are at a park that doesn't have a party for that day. We've never done a holiday party and just plan around it as we generally don't bother with park hoppers to save money. Just get like 4 or 5 day passes each trip and do one park a day and get done what we want in that park that day. Our upcoming trip we are likely to do the 4-park tickets to save even more

That can be a problem to since the party dates come out after the 60 day FP window.

That can be a problem to since the party dates come out after the 60 day FP window.

not sure if that is typical/true. For example, the 2019 Very Merry Christmas party tickets went on sale April 8th and the first party was November 8th - that is way more than 60 days

not sure if that is typical/true. For example, the 2019 Very Merry Christmas party tickets went on sale April 8th and the first party was November 8th - that is way more than 60 days

Halloween party tickets went on sale in January this year, parties started mid-August.
We frequently go in December and have always known party dates at least 6 months out.

I don’t put the Halloween or Christmas parties on the same level as say disney after hours or stuff like that. The holiday parties have been around for well over a decade. Yes crowded but I find them enjoyable. I went to a Halloween party this year and got everything I wanted to do done.
The parties are great fun :D The problem is reg MK hours, only open 2 nights a week. October saw CL10s on a Wed because the rare chance to see HEA. Can't cut party because already crowded all season. MK should open for 18 hours on those crazy regular days, Wed & Sat.

And the fireworks are becoming increasingly unpleasant, everybody's packing in on the same 2 days compounded by guests needing to be near hub for projection views.
There's a rumor new MK 50th fireworks are being created, which include projections and unique views all over the park. Hope it's true and helps distribute crowds!

a few weeks ago we did a weekend trip to Washington, DC and I had spreadsheets and maps for what we would go see and made dining reservations months in advance - but that is just how I am.
In contrast, we went to Dallas this past summer. We browsed some tourism sites to get some idea of what there was to do and made a list of a few things we thought we might like to see. The only thing we actually booked ahead of time was tickets to the 7th Floor Museum (where Oswald shot JFK) because they sell timed tickets, and we only did that a week or two before the trip. We made no dining reservations. Once there, we spent time exploring. We visited several sites we had read about but also did numerous things we discovered while there. And we had some great meals. We were able to go everywhere we wanted to go even though nothing had been planned in advance.

The idea of planning out a whole trip in advance would take all of the enjoyment out of the experience for me. I like wandering and exploring and discovering things as I go. Different strokes.

The parties are great fun :D The problem is reg MK hours, only open 2 nights a week. October saw CL10s on a Wed because the rare chance to see HEA. Can't cut party because already crowded all season. MK should open for 18 hours on those crazy regular days, Wed & Sat.

And the fireworks are becoming increasingly unpleasant, everybody's packing in on the same 2 days compounded by guests needing to be near hub for projection views.
There's a rumor new MK 50th fireworks are being created, which include projections and unique views all over the park. Hope it's true and helps distribute crowds!

Here’s to that rumour! Seeing HEA is so much more unpleasant than wishes. And I’m not a fan of the projection heavy shows.

That said, DH and I braved the crowds for HEA on an October Wednesday. We grabbed our spot at about 630 I believe for the 9 PM fireworks! It was filling up fast but we got a spot in front of a planter near the Partners statue so we didn’t feel crowded at all. Was that really a 10?? Yikes!

And I’m not a fan of the projection heavy shows.
Me either. I preferred the first StarWars fireworks at HS before the projection towers were finished. They were the ultimate!

TP showed a couple Wed's in Sept & Oct hit 10 along with many 8 & 9s. This week was quiet in WDW, calm before the storm. December will be nuts I think.

Me either. I preferred the first StarWars fireworks at HS before the projection towers were finished. They were the ultimate!

TP showed a couple Wed's in Sept & Oct hit 10 along with many 8 & 9s. This week was quiet in WDW, calm before the storm. December will be nuts I think.

After I asked I realized that before we had dinner (we entered the park just before our ADR) we stopped in at Philharmagic and the theatre was full! I believe that crowd level.

Again, this is where DL is a better value.
I'm by no means a veteran of either, but have done both in the past few years. While DL was a great experience, its really designed as a weekend getaway, or a component of a longer vacation. The parks were fun, that's really all it offers.

WDW on the other hand is a MASSIVE resort. Although it really only has about 20% more attractions, having those split up over 4 parks makes a big difference. Keeps you entertained longer. More to see along the way. 2 waterparks also adds more to the to-do list. Seeing the different hotels, trying the different restaurants, golf, mini golf, and Disney Springs (much bigger and better than downtown Disney). Its just not apples to apples.

WDW is really a destination designed for extended stays. It seems most of the complaints are from people staying offsite and travelling down for 3 or 4 nights. While your free to do that, your not the target market of WDW.

I'm by no means a veteran of either, but have done both in the past few years. While DL was a great experience, its really designed as a weekend getaway, or a component of a longer vacation. The parks were fun, that's really all it offers.

WDW on the other hand is a MASSIVE resort. Although it really only has about 20% more attractions, having those split up over 4 parks makes a big difference. Keeps you entertained longer. More to see along the way. 2 waterparks also adds more to the to-do list. Seeing the different hotels, trying the different restaurants, golf, mini golf, and Disney Springs (much bigger and better than downtown Disney). Its just not apples to apples.

WDW is really a destination designed for extended stays. It seems most of the complaints are from people staying offsite and travelling down for 3 or 4 nights. While your free to do that, your not the target market of WDW.

This is why we love WDW.

We fly down, take the DME, and are on property for 10+ days. It wouldn’t feel like a complete trip for us without one of our favourite resorts, what can I say, we’re suckers for the bubble.

I really want to go to DLR eventually, haven’t been since I was a kid, but I’m worried we’ll find ourselves missing the resort aspect WDW gives us from start to finish of our vacation.

We've not made it out to DL yet, will eventually. But yeah, they look to be 2 different experiences. We return to WDW year after year with so much to explore beyond rides. Ride counts don't include the animal trails, world showcase, shows, resorts, etc.
I can fill 7 straight days at WDW and still have things left that I would've liked to do. Some day soon I hope we'll try the classic DL but 7 days will probably not be necessary there.

True. I go there to ride the rides, not hang out. When not doing Disney, I’m either camping, hiking, or backpacking. I prefer active vacations. I have four camping trips, a trip to Glacier National Park, and possibly a Disney Cruise planned for next year.

Help me wrap my head around how you can spend 7+ days at WDW. What’s there to do to take up so much time other than the ridiculous amount of time getting from one place to another?

True. I go there to ride the rides, not hang out. When not doing Disney, I’m either camping, hiking, or backpacking. I prefer active vacations. I have four camping trips, a trip to Glacier National Park, and possibly a Disney Cruise planned for next year.

Help me wrap my head around how you can spend 7+ days at WDW. What’s there to do to take up so much time other than the ridiculous amount of time getting from one place to another?

😨!!!!

Our next trip is 11 nights and I know we’re going to be going home feeling like it was longer.

😨!!!!

Our next trip is 11 nights and I know we’re going to be going home feeling like it was longer.

I see folks posting these long trips a lot here. Help me understand what activities you’re doing to stretch it out. On my last trip to FL, I did Universal, but I did go to the Hoop Dee Do over at FW one night to mix it up.

I see folks posting these long trips a lot here. Help me understand what activities you’re doing to stretch it out. On my last trip to FL, I did Universal, but I did go to the Hoop Dee Do over at FW one night to mix it up.

Lots of resort down time, but honestly were perfectly happy spending multiple days at the 4 parks. We gotta get our fix in because our trips usually have 2-3 years between!

It’s going to sound crazy but it feels like a tight squeeze to even fit in Disney Springs or a water park.

Our schedules usually can only swing 5 day trips. 2 years ago we did 8 days and it was fantastic! 1.5 to 2 days in each park means plenty of FPs and no trying to juggle showtimes. No rushing like a nut, no burning ourselves out. 7 days is a real vacation in the sense we're not exhausted when we get home.

It's much more relaxing having time to enjoy our resort and pool, visit other resorts and Disney Springs, go to the park late or leave early. There's 'Rides WDW', but also "Next Level WDW' where you have the time to explore, relax and take it ALL in.

Our schedules usually can only swing 5 day trips. 2 years ago we did 8 days and it was fantastic! 1.5 to 2 days in each park means plenty of FPs and no trying to juggle showtimes. No rushing like a nut, no burning ourselves out. 7 days is a real vacation in the sense we're not exhausted when we get home.

It's much more relaxing having time to enjoy our resort and pool, visit other resorts and Disney Springs, go to the park late or leave early. There's 'Rides WDW', but also "Next Level WDW' where you have the time to explore, relax and take it ALL in.

Help me understand visiting resorts. They’re just hotels with restaurants and shops. And Disney Springs is an outdoor mall. While I like the Lego store, I don’t find shopping at all relaxing. I get riding the monorail through the resorts, especially if you have kids. But you can no longer ride in front, which I remember being super cool.

Going nonstop rejuvenates me. I have more energy after a trip, not less.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter