Why I'm not buying an annual pass and not going into the parks

I agree that this is hardly taking a stand. If anything, you need to send this letter to them. Posting it on the board will make you feel better but accomplish nothing.

Who asked for it? No one.
To me its just attention seeking rather than a sincere type of thread like most.

No, nobody asked for them to share their opinion on the subject (but I’m glad they shared, even though I haven’t yet arrived at the same conclusion). You know what else is true? They didn’t make you click on the thread and read it, either! If you weren’t interested in said opinion you had the free will to pass on by, and let others who are actually interested engage in the thread. How is complaining about someone else’s thread, which it seems you probably should have just passed over, any less ‘attention seeking’?

I, for one, am glad he took the time to share his opinion. Was just asking about it.

Posting it on the board will make you feel better but accomplish nothing.
I suspect they know that. A little catharsis can be a good thing though, right. That, and this is a Disney discussion board, so it seems relevant for those who want to read it. Imagine if we eliminated all threads that ultimately accomplished nothing….man the DIS would get kinda boring! :crazy:

For years there are guests including my own family who go stay at FW and never enter a park. It can be done and is a much more relaxing vacation. I thinking you will enjoy it! We sleep in, people watch, really enjoy the resort amenities, watch fireworks from afar (no crush to get to the transportation), try restaurants we never tried before. I salute you and share the same feelings about AP.

Hello: We have two weeks booked for March and April next year and we've decide after being annual passholders for many year to forgo the passes and not enter the parks. We're displeased and shocked with what is happening with Disney World regarding genie plus and pay for the rides individually. Can I afford the cost, most definitely, but, the whole thing about paying extra to go on the attractions after paying the high park entry fee is insulting. I've watched the wait times for the major attractions for quite a while and appalled at the standby wait times. If I was a cynical person, I would say Disney is purposely making the standby wait times long in order to increase revenue. So, we plan to spend two weeks at BCV enjoy all the facilities and not go in the parks to stand in long lines. We'll find other things to do and enjoy eating and spending our dollars at some non-disney establishments. Thanks Disney for giving us the reason to try a non-park Disney holiday. Thanks Canadian Tom
I hope you feel better getting that off your chest but I don't understand why this is in a forum for park strategies.

And as required by FCC rules, here's an opposing view point.

Why I'm Buying an AP and Going to the Parks!

1. We have enough DVC points to make an AP fairly economical. Heck our per day cost with the new Sorcerer AP is still cheaper than our unused NE+ individual ticket. (not by much though).
2. Need to save our 2011 DVC AP Voucher for the future.
3. Still the best bang for $$ entertainment value out there.
4. We love love love WDW. It is our safe and clean Happy Place.
5. Love to eat at so many different TS's in the parks.
6. Like the flexibility of doing what we want when we want, especially with PH included.
7. All part of the overall retirement Life of Leisure budget. Everything's gone up.
8. A lot less stress having an AP vs. individaul tickets.
9. I need more refrigerator magnets!
10. and most importantly: Because the DW said so!

Disclaimer. All reasons are my opinion only and YMMV.

Last edited:
I too am disappointed in what has gone on in the last year many things taken from us on annual pass couldn't renew my original pass so now don't have water parks or golf. The fact that we now have to pay to get on rides in a reasonable time is ludicrous but I am taking my grandchildren for their first time in February and will be going to the parks. When is Disney going to realize that they are making it unrealistic for a family to go. I can afford this trip but who knows what it will be in the future with no Magical express and no fast passes and prices going up continually.

I think you're missing out, but you do you. It would make me terribly sad to be steps from Epcot and not go in and wander the countries and booths at the very least.

I will say that as a frequent (biweekly, if not more often) visitor, the posted wait times are worthless so I hope you're not making all your decisions based on that. I felt bad for people paying for Genie+ when I was walking on things that they had paid for!
I don't think Genie+ was made for the locals who have annual passes. It's for those who are there maybe once a year or once every couple of years and want to go on as many rides as they can. I am not local, I own DVC, and a passholder. I go 2 or 3 times a year using DVC and then I stay 2 weeks at Fort Wilderness in my travel trailer. I also will not need Genie

Hello: We have two weeks booked for March and April next year and we've decide after being annual passholders for many year to forgo the passes and not enter the parks. We're displeased and shocked with what is happening with Disney World regarding genie plus and pay for the rides individually. Can I afford the cost, most definitely, but, the whole thing about paying extra to go on the attractions after paying the high park entry fee is insulting. I've watched the wait times for the major attractions for quite a while and appalled at the standby wait times. If I was a cynical person, I would say Disney is purposely making the standby wait times long in order to increase revenue. So, we plan to spend two weeks at BCV enjoy all the facilities and not go in the parks to stand in long lines. We'll find other things to do and enjoy eating and spending our dollars at some non-disney establishments. Thanks Disney for giving us the reason to try a non-park Disney holiday. Thanks Canadian Tom
Wait times have always been overstated, so I usually just assume the wait will be shorter than what’s posted. That has rarely been a problem when I plan based on that.
I’m also a longtime passholder, and honestly,we will just wait in the line. There’s rarely a time that I care so much about riding a particular ride that I’ll stand in line more than a half hour. I don’t see a situation where I’m going to care enough to pay. But we are happy to just ride things that are less popular and have shorter lines or sit and watch the crowd for a while.

Thanks for all the comments. They were much appreciated. We are DVC owners and we really like the resort and area. So for those who commented about vacationing somewhere else so Disney doesn't get the money, we've already paid for the room through our annual dues. Any suggestions on what you would do on your non-park day? Canadian Tom
I'd go to Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure!

I mean you are giving them big money and then trying to prove a point somehow? The new system isnt going away. You can learn to live with it but staying on property for 2 weeks without entering the parks is nuts.

Yeah, I would have a hard time staying on Disney property and not going to the parks also. We looked into buying DVC back in 2000 and I am glad we didn't buy.

Deleted (just realized my questions were already answered earlier in thread!)

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your responses, even the ones that think I might be losing my mind for staying at BCV and not going into the parks. We've been every year for the last twenty five years and are old farts and don't think there is that much that is new and interesting to us. When we do go to the parks, we generally just go for a nice walk and usually eat at the resorts anyway. We find most park food is only so-so. Except for a couple of the EPCOT places. Thanks Canadian Tom

Our last two trips we stayed at the resorts and didn’t visit the parks(poly & wilderness). It was wonderful.

I mean you are giving them big money and then trying to prove a point somehow? The new system isnt going away. You can learn to live with it but staying on property for 2 weeks without entering the parks is nuts.
If you’re that upset (& it’s fine to be upset-prices are skyrocketing while perks are being removed), why not take your money and go elsewhere? You’re not really proving a point to them by staying at their hotel.

For the price of a deluxe hotel on property, you could stay in an actually deluxe hotel somewhere else. Plus, there are so many other places to explore outside of Disney. If you’re that upset with them go explore one of the many other beautiful places in the world.

Did you not see they are DVC owners? They have already paid for the room AND enjoy disney resorts. To not go would be nuts. Like so many DVC members they have probably been going for years and been to the parks dozens of times. Plus they are staying at BCV, which if you've ever stayed there makes that decision a whole lot easier. I'm pretty sure there is a whole bunch of long time regular visitors that rarely if ever go to the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter