Why is a ship referred to as a *SHE*/Nautical knowledge tests!

We always call a ship a "she" and not without a reason.
For she displays a well-shaped knee regardless of the season.
She scorns the man whose heart is faint and doesn't show him pity.
And like a girl she needs the paint to keep her looking pretty.
ship.gif

For love she'll brace the ocean vast, be she a gig or cruiser.
But if you fail to tie her fast you're almost sure to lose her.
On ships and dames we pin our hopes, we fondle them and dandle them.
And every man must know his ropes or else he cannot handle them.
ship.gif

Be firm with her and she'll behave when skies are dark above you.
And let her take a water wave - praise her, and she'll love you.
That's why a ship must have a mate; she needs a good provider.
A good strong arm to keep her straight, to comfort her and guide her.
ship.gif

For such she'll brace the roughest gales and angry seas that crowd her.
And in a brand new suit of sails no dame looks any prouder.
The ship is like a dame in that she's feminine and swanky;
You'll find the one that's broad and fat is never mean and cranky.
ship.gif

Yes ships are ladylike indeed, for take them altogether
the ones that show a lot of speed can't stand the roughest weather.
(Author unknown)

We always call a ship a "she" and not without a reason.
For she displays a well-shaped knee regardless of the season.
She scorns the man whose heart is faint and doesn't show him pity.
And like a girl she needs the paint to keep her looking pretty.
ship.gif

For love she'll brace the ocean vast, be she a gig or cruiser.
But if you fail to tie her fast you're almost sure to lose her.
On ships and dames we pin our hopes, we fondle them and dandle them.
And every man must know his ropes or else he cannot handle them.
ship.gif

Be firm with her and she'll behave when skies are dark above you.
And let her take a water wave - praise her, and she'll love you.
That's why a ship must have a mate; she needs a good provider.
A good strong arm to keep her straight, to comfort her and guide her.
ship.gif

For such she'll brace the roughest gales and angry seas that crowd her.
And in a brand new suit of sails no dame looks any prouder.
The ship is like a dame in that she's feminine and swanky;
You'll find the one that's broad and fat is never mean and cranky.
ship.gif

Yes ships are ladylike indeed, for take them altogether
the ones that show a lot of speed can't stand the roughest weather.
(Author unknown)

Captian,
That is a good one!.:thumbsup2....AKK

Friday! :scared1:

That long to wait! :rotfl:

Seriously thou, thank you for the trivia quiz! :goodvibes

Ex Techie :)

Sorry, but I have to earn a living now and then!

I am trying to look into the stack vent thing.........I read what I posted awhile ago on the Marine Matters type site and can't find it now. It was commone for a extra stack on the older liners to have the vents there.
Ther yellow vents around the base of the stacks would not be ennough for the whole engine room and vessel. (Theres a lot of air/hot air blowing in and around those ships:rolleyes1)

But if you said you were up top on the forward stack and there were no other vent openings I of course beleive!:worship:

AKK

Set 3.

As I noted before.........my answers are the most commonly held and beleived Sea Stores/terms. There are likely others......please offer them up.......We will enjoy them all!

EASY

1. What is a *ladder* on a ship?

2. What is the *rudder*

3. What is the name of the entry way in the sides of a ship?

4. What is the job of a *oiler* (a crewman)?

5. What is the *scuttlebutt*?

6. What does the emergrncy signal *SOS* stand for?

HARDER

1. What is the difference between a cruise ship? and a Ocean Liner?

2. What is the *REEFER* space on a ship?

3. What is a *tween deck* on a dry cargo ship?

4. You see a ship with a red flag flying form the signal mast, what does it
mean?

5. What is a PFD?

HARDEST

1. On wooden ships and boats.......what is the *worm keel*?

2. What is the sail rig on the USCG Eagle? (to easy for the Capt BJ!)

3. What is the history/origin of the USCG Eagle? Please do answer this one Capt BJ!.I am sure you can answer it with more detail then me!

I saw her a number of times went working in New London this past year. She was docked at the outer pier by the Fort. She's a beautiful gal!

4. What ship was the first vessel to send the *at the time new* radio emergency signal *SOS*

5. What is the only non sailing, but powered vessel is not reqiured (the rules actually say*may*) show running lights?

OK........go at them folks!

To everyone ...........a Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and a safe Happy New Years!:goodvibes

AKK

Set 3.

As I noted before.........my answers are the most commonly held and beleived Sea Stores/terms. There are likely others......please offer them up.......We will enjoy them all!

OK, I'll do my best - thanks for the brain exercise!:)

EASY

Usually the stairs - more specifically, the steeply angled ones that conserve space and are "open-treaded" for air circulation. So, on DCL, NOT the staircases in the lobby atrium, but the ones you see in the "working" areas, or would be in the machinery spaces

2. What is the *rudder*

The part that directs water flow to steer the ship - so, usually thought of as the big flat piece hanging below the stern that swivels. (tried to make it easier to understand:confused:)

The gangway - also refers to the ramp that goes from the opening to the dock/shore

Oilers operate the ships various mechanical systems -propulsion, electrical, A/c, sewage, etc., under the direction of the ship's engineers. It's not QUITE an entry level position, but it is junior. They also have ancillary duties related to firefighting and damage control

It WAS a cask for drinking water, now commonly refers to gossip. Maybe that was the origin for the "heard at the watercooler?" Just guessing

6. What does the emergrncy signal *SOS* stand for?
the Morse code letters S, O, and S. It's only a procedural convention. Commonly, we like to think of it as "Save Our Souls", or "Save Our Ship"

HARDER

1. What is the difference between a cruise ship? and a Ocean Liner?
Ocean Liners were originally built for regular service to transport people across the oceans, in most if not all conditions. Cruise ships eveloved from that into more spacious, luxurious "floating hotels". As such, Ocean Liners would have heavier steel for their hulls, stronger frameworks, and USUALLY were built for faster speeds. I BELIEVE the Queen Mary 2 is possibly the only modern cruise ship still classified as an ocean liner

2. What is the *REEFER* space on a ship?
The refrigerated storage areas

The deck below the uppermost, or "weather" deck

mean?
Common would be that she's carrying dangerous cargo. It's a swallowtail shape, and also stands for the letter "B"

5. What is a PFD?
Personal Flotation device, aka "life vest"

HARDEST

ooh, ooh, only know this 'cause I used to have one on one of my boats - it's an extra, replaceable piece of wood affixed below the true keel. It's job was a sacrificial piece in case of infestation by keel (teredo" worms, a kind of sea-going termite (actually a mollusk). If worms invaded the worm keel, you could easily replace that piece of wood

2. What is the sail rig on the USCG Eagle? (to easy for the Capt BJ!)
She's a square-rigged, threemasted barque. But unles they changed the rigging, only the foremast and main are square-rigged, the mizzenmast has fore- and aft- rigged sails.

3. What is the history/origin of the USCG Eagle? Please do answer this one Capt BJ!.I am sure you can answer it with more detail then me!

I saw her a number of times went working in New London this past year. She was docked at the outer pier by the Fort. She's a beautiful gal!

Other than saying she was originally German, I'll leave it to Capt. BJ - And, Skipper, I agree - she is indeed classy. I have some great photos from one time when she was in NY Harbor, and docked at Governor's Island

4. What ship was the first vessel to send the *at the time new* radio emergency signal *SOS*
It was either the Cunard liner SAVONIA, or the SS Arapahoe both in 1909. The TITANIC signalled both the (relatively) new SOS, as well as the older, more cumbersome Morse C - Q - D

5. What is the only non sailing, but powered vessel is not reqiured (the rules actually say*may*) show running lights?
OK, scratching head on this one. You mean an underway power-driven vessel?The exception for an under 23", max. speed 7kts. powered craft still calls for an all-around white light, and I BELIEVE it's optional. Otherwise, how about the exceptions in Rule 30, for certain smaller vessels at anchor (e & g) or aground (f)?
OK........go at them folks!

To everyone ...........a Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and a safe Happy New Years!:goodvibes

AKK

Whew, some brain drain, and some looking at my "cheat sheets", but a good exercise and break from Christmas prep. Now, back to my regularly scheduled cooking . . . . . . .
And a Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays to all on Disboards!

A tween deck is a deck in the hold of a dry cargo ship

while I am on where would you find a button on a ship ;)

Set 3.

HARDEST

Let's see how much I remember about USCG Barque Eagle.... she was built in Germany and was originally named Horst Wessel. I think she was a training ship in Germany, but used as a war vessel during WWII. At the end of the war, she was taken as war prize by the United States and commissioned into the USCG. She is currently used to train cadets and officer candidates. I have fond memories of her -- she is indeed a beautiful ol' ship!

pirate:

Wiki actually has a pretty good history of USCGC EAGLE at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USCGC_Eagle_(WIX-327)

In brief, she was built in 1936 in Hamburg and christened by Adolph Hitler as Horst Wessel (a famous figure in NAZI party history) as a training vessel. There were a total of 4 similar sail training vessels in the German Navy. She is credited with shooting down several aircraft during the war when for a time she carried AA guns.

A part of the history not in the Wiki version concerns the Danish sail training ship Danmark; this ship had escaped Europe and was on loan to the US Coast Guard Academy during WWII. USCG had seen this as a valuable tool and at the end of WWII the German sail training ships were found in various states of repair. The USCG laid claim to this ship as a war prize and sailed to the US with the assistance of the German Captain and crew.

Wiki has some of the timeline wrong ... When I sailed EAGLE in the 70’s she still carried her 1936 MAN diesel engine for auxiliary propulsion and the cadets slept in hammocks. When the first female cadets entered the Academy in 1976 significant changes to cadet berthing and head facilities triggered a long line of significant upgrades. When I sailed as a senior cadet in the summer of 77 we had an enclosed bridge and new radars. On the other hand I recall being cadet officer of the deck in the middle of the English Channel at midnight, with pea soup fog and calling to the captian that I thought we should slow in accordance with the rules of the road which requires stopping in a prudent distance. The CO responded, Mr....any time this ship is underway in fog, we're in violation of the rules of the road .... full speed ahead. A few minutes later a high speed ferry appeared out of the fog VERY close on the bow and I had to order up 'back full' - with the old engine that was about a minute long process and we had a vent thru which we could hear the reactions in the engine room. Trust that at night, in fog, when the engine room sees an order from full ahead to full back, it gets their attention!!!

I’m proud to say I was able to sail EAGLE each of my 4 cadet years, altho many of my peers tried to avoid EAGLE at all costs preferring to train on ‘real cutters’. I always believed EAGLE time would be experiences I could not buy in the future at any price even if I never went on another ship. Here I am at the top of the main mast, 1975 as I recall
topotheworld001.jpg

I guess it served me well as I eventually commanded one of the CG's largest cutters
scan0002.jpg

With regard to the rigging question, you actually have to be careful about this one. Commonly EAGLE is a barque, that is how she was built, but an astute researcher will note that when the USCG acquired her the rigging was changed on the mizzen mast. She was still a barque, but not original. In more recent times the rigging has been restored to the ‘as built’ configuration.

set 3.

As i noted before.........my answers are the most commonly held and beleived sea stores/terms. There are likely others......please offer them up.......we will enjoy them all!

with nine years in the u.s. Navy, i have to take a crack at this test.

easy

it's that thing i was constantly cleaning the first couple of years.

2. What is the *rudder*

that doohickey under the rear of the ship that jams hard left and makes the ship crash into the supply tender during unrep.

the xo's entry! Only because he came back drunk one night, slammed his head into the dimmer switch on the door, and then demanded the ood have it removed immediately!

i don't know, i stayed out of the snipes spaces. Nasty down there...

i just heard we're going to australia when we leave the gulf. Awesome!!!

6. What does the emergrncy signal *sos* stand for?

... --- ...

harder

1. What is the difference between a cruise ship? And a ocean liner?

there's no difference. You're not typically allowed to blow up either one.

2. What is the *reefer* space on a ship?

the best place on the ship right after replenishment! Not so much after several weeks.

it's where the young sailors aged 11-13 hang out.

mean?

it means you have to yell out bravo when you pass it.

5. What is a pfd?

it's something you seriously never want to use.

hardest

wooden ships and boats? After the typhoon put a ten foot crack down the midship side of a steel warship... No thanks, you're not getting me on one.

2. What is the sail rig on the uscg eagle? (to easy for the capt bj!)

sounds like a target to me. Oh wait... We're suppose to be nice to the coasties.

3. What is the history/origin of the uscg eagle? Please do answer this one capt bj!.i am sure you can answer it with more detail then me!

I saw her a number of times went working in new london this past year. She was docked at the outer pier by the fort. She's a beautiful gal!

the original name was given in acknowledgement to a nazi party member. At least it has steel spars!

4. What ship was the first vessel to send the *at the time new* radio emergency signal *sos*

i'm goin' with the arapahoe!

i guess i'm required to say i can neither confirm nor deny the use of running lights during wartime maneuvers.
Edit: Oh! You said non sailing. Hmmm.. Dunno!
ok........go at them folks!

To everyone ...........a merry christmas, happy holidays and a safe happy new years!:goodvibes

Why is this thing messing with my capital letters?
akk

A couple of other comments on the ?

The BRAVO flag is also flown when a vessel is carrying bulf flamables or transfering same, so a {cruise} ship flying Bravo (red) is usually taking on fuel. This is not a requirement of either the US Inland Rules or the International Rules, but rather an International Signal described in the US publication H.O. 102. {& because fuel fumes are MUCH more of an explosion hazard than bulk fuel} This is similar to the US requirement to show a diver flag (the red one with a white stripe) vs the International diver signal of the ALPHA Flag (which IS in the international rules) altho internationally the correct signal is 'restricted in ability to maneuver' and the ALPHA is an alternate signal for small vessels unable to show the full international dayshape (ball-diamond-ball) or lights (red over white over red 360 degree)

According to my research the sides of the ship were starboard and larboard . . . port coming into use after the steering board gave way to the central rudder

on my last ship we still called drinking fountains - scuttlebutts; lack to clean them was noted in these terms on my daily inspection reports

the rules of the road have no definition for 'running lights' - there are side lights, sternlights and masthead lights.

yes that is MUNRO which I commanded from Alameda from June 2000 to July 2002. Her current homeport is Kodiak.

yes that is MUNRO which I commanded from Alameda from June 2000 to July 2002. Her current homeport is Kodiak.

For some reason I remember the hull number and name. We either played games with her, did drug ops down in Panama with her, or the PO2 in my CIWS C-School class came from her.

My memory is fading fast... I was onboard the USS Chancellorsville (CG-62) back in the early nineties. Missed being a plank owner by a few weeks. :sad2:

You folks did great!

Disdel and Capt J you got them right on!

Kais.........I agree......snipe country is noisy and dirty!
LOL

Comment!

Capt BJ,

Thanks for the in depth details on the Eagle.You too Page and ashers mom.

The red flag while transferring fuel is a USCG reqiurement. All those years on Tankers, I still remember looking up whenever the word was being passed that the *captian of the port* guys were coming!

I knew it was Larboard, I just used port as its the name used now.

The one I got you guys on the hardest, #5. The only non sailing, but powered vessel the *may*, but is not reqiured to show running lights or any light for that matter is a ..........*rowboat*,its oar powered! This is a great trick question my senoir rules of the road instructor always got us on!.

You were right, running lights is the common term, but not defined in the rules of the road.

OK...Monday the 4 set, I will have to keep on my toes with all the disboard pros showing up!

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays to All!

AKK

You folks did great!

The one I got you guys on the hardest, #5. The only non sailing, but powered vessel the *may*, but is not reqiured to show running lights or any light for that matter is a ..........*rowboat*,its oar powered! This is a great trick question my senoir rules of the road instructor always got us on!.

AKK

Come tell the Sheriff that patrols our lake that.

You have to have at least a flashlight on in a rowboat on our lake. Of course if you do go out on this particular lake at night on anything without a light, you've just crossed the line into the stupid zone. The boats will run you over, then come about and run you over again!

Sorry - he was wrong

see rule 3, general definitions, section b:

"The term power-driven vessel means any vessel propelled by machinery."

{it is the same wording in both the International and US Inland rules; reference COMDTINSTM16672.2 (series); SOLAS COLREGS as ammended }

:surfweb:

Sorry - he was wrong

see rule 3, general definitions, section b:

"The term power-driven vessel means any vessel propelled by machinery."

{it is the same wording in both the International and US Inland rules; reference COMDTINSTM16672.2 (series); SOLAS COLREGS as ammended }

:surfweb:

I know......we always said the same thing..but his answer was and this was comfirmed by the USCG testers that *it has been interpeded as machinery,EI anything able to mechcanically produce movement........ei oars produce the movement, they are therefore machinary!, what powered the oars didn't matter!

If you had a propellar with a hand crank........the same applied!

AKK

PS Its one of those fun things in the rules to argue about!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter